Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Old 17-03-2012, 11:10   #826
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Because then neither middleware would have had the red button for the start of the season. Doing the Liberate boxes is a far bigger job. Not only is the software harder to write, but more significant is the amount of testing required. There are two TiVos which are almost identical. There are about 20 Liberate models using six different hardware architectures.
Thanks spiderplant for explaining in full the reasons.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2012, 11:10   #827
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

A perfect precise explanation SP .
Old 17-03-2012, 21:25   #828
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Thanks for telling me

If Sky had sense, they would be making more money by offering the great HD version to VM customers
We have covered that many times in this thread, as you well know.

It's what is called a business decision. Obviously something that doesn't need to happen in the logistics industry

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Then perhaps VM should learn a lesson
Or perhaps you should get a Tivo, as they are far more advanced

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Coming from a VM employee I'd expect better , nowhere in alwaysabears post does he suggest the Sky Sports F1 red button shouldn't be on TIVO however it's another orchestrated move to try and force people into taking TIVO in my opinion unless you can advise him when it's to be available on other STB's.
Well that's common business sense. The Tivo is a more advanced upgrade. So they would want people to upgrade to it (and they get a few quid more of customers when they do).

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Quote:
We're on about Sky Sports F1 Red button availability on VM , seeing as you've mentioned Sky I believe it's available on the Sky+ , SkyHD , Sky+HD and 1TB so in other words all their STB's.
And it's a Sky channel....spot the link?

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Quote:
Couldn't agree more but seeing the majority of VM's customer base are still on the liberate software why wasn't that developed first.
Because Tivo is the replacement, and they want people to change to it, I suspect!

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
VM would be paying for the software to be written so it is they that are in control of the process.
Exactly. So why would they pay for it to go on their outdated system first?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 08:41   #829
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

I noticed this morning that the Sky Sports F1 SD channel on Sky has DD 5.1 as well as the HD version. Shame that it DD 5.1 isnt carried on VM's version of Sky Sports F1
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 17:24   #830
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...ix?INTCMP=SRCH

More than a million viewers watched the climax to the first grand prix of the season on Sky's new Formula 1 channel but its overall audience was down 75% on BBC1's coverage last year.

Season opener the Australian Grand Prix, the first to be broadcast exclusively by Sky, had an average audience of 526,000 viewers between 4.30am and 9am on Sunday, with a five-minute peak of 1.02 million as Jenson Button took the chequered flag.

Live coverage of the race itself, which ran from 6am to 7.40am, was watched by an average of 874,000 viewers.

The BBC's live coverage of the same race last season averaged 2.13 million viewers, a 51.1% share of the audience.

The Australian grand prix is traditionally one of the lower-rating F1 races because of the time difference. Sunday's audience figures included viewers who recorded it and watched it later in the day – as did the BBC1 figures for 2011.

The BBC, which will broadcast half of this year's grand prix live as part of its new joint rights deal with Sky, averaged 2.7 million viewers for its highlights programme between 2pm and 4pm on BBC1, a 22.9% share.

Sky's audience was always going to be substantially down on last year's free-to-air coverage. Sky's dedicated F1 channel is available to subscribers to Sky Sports or Sky's high definition channels.

A Sky Sports spokesman said the broadcaster did not discuss ratings for individual programmes.

He added: "It is the performance of the whole channel we are interested in. We are pleased with the launch of the channel overall."
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 17:30   #831
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Not good figures but im sure they will pick up in races with a better timezone but also numbers were never going to match what BBC have had in the past
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 17:30   #832
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l have to say that l was pretty impressed with Sky's coverage and to me BBC have made another momumental error in losing yet more sporting rights but what can you expect from them when they decided to get rid of Grandstand as to me and many others that was just the start of the slippery slope at the BBC regarding their sports rights coverage.
Old 19-03-2012, 17:40   #833
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l have to say that l was pretty impressed with Sky's coverage and to me BBC have made another momumental error in losing yet more sporting rights but what can you expect from them when they decided to get rid of Grandstand as to me and many others that was just the start of the slippery slope at the BBC regarding their sports rights coverage.
Agreed Den , Sky's presentation was very good. The BBC have now lost rights to Channel 4 for the The Derby,Grand National and several other major horse racing events from 2013, at least they will still be free to air .
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 19:26   #834
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

I watched the race on BBC HD in the afternoon after having avoided any sports bulletins.
Old 19-03-2012, 19:49   #835
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

This probably wasn't the best example of how things will work this season. I rarely make the effort to get out of bed for it, and I usually end up spoiling any re-run or recording of the race by stumbling upon the result as I browse the news over breakfast. As a result, I was well aware of the full result, and most of the main talking points, before I settled down to the highlights and it didn't feel any different to any other season.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 07:23   #836
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

This might sound like a crazy question, but by chance did anyone catch both the Sky AND BBC feeds? I was wondering what the difference between the two was? I went to a lot of bother to watch the Sky feed, if the BBC highlights don't miss much I might be converted to the idea of watching BBC...
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 07:48   #837
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I found that the quality of the signal was very good for SD so I am not worried about not having HD so long as the quality stays this high.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 08:10   #838
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I found that the quality of the signal was very good for SD so I am not worried about not having HD so long as the quality stays this high.
Yes l was very happy with the SD signal and if it is as good as Sunday then thats good enough for me.
Old 20-03-2012, 09:08   #839
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
This might sound like a crazy question, but by chance did anyone catch both the Sky AND BBC feeds? I was wondering what the difference between the two was? I went to a lot of bother to watch the Sky feed, if the BBC highlights don't miss much I might be converted to the idea of watching BBC...
For the racing itself including the graphical overlays (positions, telemetry..and radios) absolutely no difference at all as the filming is done by a local company under the direction of FOM and then distributed worldwide. The pre-race/post podium and also commentator voice and filming and also the editing of highlights are the only bit done by Sky or BBC for their relevant shows.

As for the highlights compared to the full race you are missing about 50% of the racing but all of the major overtakes/incidents/pitstops are shown
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 18:57   #840
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Pretty peeved off with the lack of quality with the SD version. Looks like I am going to have to avoid switching on the TV radio or any sport sites on a Sunday until the BBC version comes on.

Surely Sky make money out of leasing these channels, so I don't understand why they hold it back from Virgin.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote