Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky+ equipment..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky+ equipment..

Old 08-05-2009, 23:54   #1
Jay6
Inactive

Services: Humax Freesat+ and Sky Digital sub.
Jay6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky+ equipment..

I have a standard sky box with a dish. I have a card which allows me to watch the freesat channels. ..I want to be able to record one channel, while watching another. Am I right in thinking that I would need either a Sky+ box, or a freesat+ box to accomplish this? I know I need two cables from the dish, that's not a problem, but can I just buy a sky+ or freesat+ box outright, without subscribing or anything like that? In short, I want to retain the freesat service, but be able to record one channel while watching another. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Jay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2009, 04:15   #2
dannyboy91uk
Inactive

Services: Sky World TV Sky +/Sky HD 100 MB Virgin Broadband.
dannyboy91uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sky+ equipment..

I'm not 100 % certain, but i'm sure if you buy a SKY + box from Ebay/Sky or whoever. You would still need the SKY subscription (Minimum) £16.50 a month to get the record functioning (Pause - Rewind - Record etc).

That would mean you would have to buy the £16.50 1 mix deal, or I think there is a £10 subscription for Sky + full functioning alone. You might aswell pay £16.50 and get the variety pack .

SKY + BOX - £50 - free installation

The third choice could be get a £10 Sky Multiroom room subscription. So you have the Sky + Box downstairs, with the Standard box in your bedroom.
If you subscribe to anything on Sky, you will get the Sky+ functionality free. Murdoch loves cash!

I think i'm right by the way, I guess I could be mistaken but I don't think I am.
dannyboy91uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:34   #3
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I'm also sure dannyboy91uk is correct.

Personally I think a BBC Freesat PVR is now the way to go. When my Sky+ gives up the ghost that's what I'm going to get.

As for losing the Sky Channels well these days I rarely watch anything other than channels 1 to 5 or sometimes their subsidiary digital channels. I really can't remember the last time I watched anything on Sky 1-3 Sky News or Sky Sports News. Hmmm I tell a lie I occasionally watch the odd concert on Sky Arts but it's rare.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:49   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

You can get Freesat through a Sky+ box but unless you pay either £10/month for the Sky+ features or £16.50/month for a Sky contract with channels packages then the recording features etc will be unavailable
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:22   #5
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

You can use the Sky dish and cabling with a freesat box. No subs and no need to scroll the the Sky epg to get to what you want.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:23   #6
Jay6
Inactive

Thanks for responses guys. ..I should probably mention, ..this is all for my grandad. He currently has freesat, but is VERY anti-subscription. He's 87 years old, and very set in his ways, and he won't ever have a direct debit to anything. He's quite old fashioned and pays for everything in cash. So if I get him the sky+ box, the PVR function is definately not free, is that correct? What about the freesat+ box? Is the PVR free on that? He would rather pay over the odds for a box outright, instead of a smaller amount of money with a monthly subscription.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:39   #7
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Definitely have to pay for Sky pvr. Definitely don't pay a subscription for freesat pvr.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:44   #8
Jay6
Inactive

Thanks. Freesat+ it is then. Stoopid really, coz I've looked at some of those boxes and they cost a bomb. Lol.