Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | O2 scam calls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

O2 scam calls

Old 10-09-2023, 13:33   #1
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
O2 scam calls

Since I've been migrated from Virgin Mobile to O2 I've received a steady stream of scam calls. Just sharing this knowledge in case others get them too.

They pretend to be O2 and say that as a loyal customer, you are entitled to a 30% discount. In the background, they text O2 and ask for your pass code to be sent to you.

They then request your O2 pass code from you before they can transfer you to their "discount department". They state that the code should not be shared with anyone except the person you are speaking to.

Fortunately, O2 advise you not to share the code with anyone at O2.

Presumably, if you shared the code with the scammer, they would load lots of charges onto your account and have access to your personal details and bank details with impersonation opportunities.

I never got similar calls when on Virgin Mobile.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2023, 16:14   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: O2 scam calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Since I've been migrated from Virgin Mobile to O2 I've received a steady stream of scam calls. Just sharing this knowledge in case others get them too.

They pretend to be O2 and say that as a loyal customer, you are entitled to a 30% discount. In the background, they text O2 and ask for your pass code to be sent to you.

They then request your O2 pass code from you before they can transfer you to their "discount department". They state that the code should not be shared with anyone except the person you are speaking to.

Fortunately, O2 advise you not to share the code with anyone at O2.

Presumably, if you shared the code with the scammer, they would load lots of charges onto your account and have access to your personal details and bank details with impersonation opportunities.

I never got similar calls when on Virgin Mobile.
I just tell them to go forth in short jerky movements

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 14:25   #3
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I just had one of these scam calls, could barely understand it, but I let it play out.

Here is what happened.

They did not ask me for any private information, they already had my name, my address, my bank account I use for O2, this bank account actually isnt used for any other company, which tells me O2 have been compromised.

They had my email address I use for O2, although this one I use for various things.

After I hung up they tried to ring me every minute for nearly an hour.

They sent me emails which showed a £36 monthly payment to pay for an apple iphone, which they told me on the phone would be a free gift from O2.

The email checking the headers actually came from O2 mail servers.

They also sent me a password reset email and I can confirm my password no longer works on the O2 web page.

They asked me my security question (correct question) I gave them the wrong answer, and they said it was wrong.

They then asked me to repeat a passcode to authorise an account change as a bypass to the security question which is when I hung up.

I confirmed my password did change.

--

Rang O2 on 202

I got told to send the caller number to 77726 SMS, but the message fails to send, O2 confirmed my password changed but they said its because they did it in the past (not convinced) they reset it again for me, and confirmed nothing changed on my account otherwise. Never had this before with any other provider, O2 need to admit they been compromised and sort their stuff out.

The email I got after calling 202, came from the same email servers as what the scammer sent.

Also to add I have had a crap ton of missed calls on my O2 phone lately, I expect they all these scammers now.

Also like said above I never had this on either EE or giffgaff.

Last edited by Chrysalis; 11-09-2023 at 15:04.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 15:22   #4
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I had a call too - yes they knew everything on my O2 email account except for the password and secruity word. They knew to the penny my last bill.

She said her name was Sara - spelt S A R A H ??

She said her O2 id number and said I could sue her if she was lying ??

She gave the contact number if wer get cut off as a mobile number - and when I hung up she called from three different numbers around the county.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 18:23   #5
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Had another this evening - similar number to before.
Old 11-09-2023, 20:15   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I got told to send the caller number to 77726 SMS
That should be 7726 ("SPAM")
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:02   #7
ozsat
cf.mega poster

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tele...exts-and-calls
Old 12-09-2023, 10:08   #8
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That should be 7726 ("SPAM")
Thanks, sent it now.
Old 12-09-2023, 13:53   #9
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

Just had another of those calls, the first one showed it was from Manchester, today it was from London.

I just told them in dont use O2, which I dont, and they put the phone down and I then blocked the London number the same as I did Manchester number.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 10:27   #10
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Calls coming in thick and fast, I have become super popular since moving to O2 from giffgaff on my second phone. 9 calls in last 24 hours.
Old 18-11-2023, 11:09   #11
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I got this last month - offering me a discount I needed to tell them the code etc.

Obviously suspicious. I asked them my name and they said they didn’t know
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 12:09   #12
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I got this last month - offering me a discount I needed to tell them the code etc.

Obviously suspicious. I asked them my name and they said they didn’t know

A simple question that exposses a slight hole in their scam master plan I think.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 13:03   #13
ozsat
cf.mega poster

When I got a call from them they knew my name, address and they knew my monthly payment plan which was not the VM default level.

They had no access to my account - I reckon somebody had got a batch of O2 data.
Old 19-11-2023, 16:57   #14
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

On O2 via Tesco had nothing, no idea what that means/proves
Old 22-11-2023, 18:28   #15
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Just had a legitimate text from O2

Quote:
A quick reminder to keep you safe: never share passwords or bank details with anyone over the phone. If the caller says they're from O2, hang up and dial 202 from your O2 mobile to let us know.

For more info, visit http://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-...y/fraud-advice
All good practice of course. Chance? Do they know of a data leak?
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote