Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Illegal workers cost restaurant boss dear

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The government needs to act on energy

Old 23-09-2013, 14:10   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
The government needs to act on energy

http://news.sky.com/story/1145326/ce...-storage-plans

For many years the governments that have been in power have been discussing the future with our gas/electtical supplies, and yet they spend billions on crazy wind farms, and now we have no choice but to buy from overseas'.

We are wasting OUR money on overseas aid - like recently we sent 500 million pounds over sea's. And yet we are in danger of running out of gas.

I say we should open mines - which would create jobs in isolated area's, we have hundreds of them over the country.

We need that reserve - in case we run out. We buy in coal from abroad, so why dont we have our own supply. And before members mention the problems with it. You tell the people that cannot afford anything extra, coal is cheap and easy to use.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-09-2013, 14:13   #2
tizmeinnit

Re: The government need to act on this.

everything will be natural produced or nuclear electric one day
Old 23-09-2013, 14:22   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: The government need to act on this.

It's nice to see that some tidal generators are going ahead. But the biggest possible in the UK, a barrage on the Severn, is being shelved AGAIN! NO doubt after large sums have been spent on "planning consultants".
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 14:38   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The government need to act on gas storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I say we should open mines - which would create jobs in isolated area's, we have hundreds of them over the country.

We need that reserve - in case we run out. We buy in coal from abroad, so why dont we have our own supply. And before members mention the problems with it. You tell the people that cannot afford anything extra, coal is cheap and easy to use.
Arthur. You are not going to get the 1970s back, no matter how often you ask.

Coal is not cheap and it is not easy to use. I bought a house that still relied on open coal fire heating. We lived with it for three years until we had the heating system renovated and modernised. So I can say with some certainty that the only people who think coal is a good alternative are those who have never had anything else, and those that light a fire on Sunday afternoons in the winter and think it's oh, so romantic.

Shovelling out a grate three times a day, every day, for six to eight months of the year, is not fun and the amount of coal required is vast and expensive. It also makes the house permanently filthy with dust and ash, and vastly increases the risk of fatal house fires.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:20   #5
Will21st
Inactive

Services: XL Tv,100MB,M Phone.
Will21st has reached the bronze age
Will21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Arthur. You are not going to get the 1970s back, no matter how often you ask.
You are so clueless when it comes to economics....

Opening the mines will end unemployment,people will be employed by the millions and the North will be like Dubai.... They will call it the the solid Black Gold!

Will21st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:48   #6
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post

Opening the mines will end unemployment,people will be employed by the millions and the North will be like Dubai.... They will call it the the solid Black Gold!

And they will employ Eastern European workers to dig the coal because they can pay them far less than workers from the UK. They will never ever make money at it if they pay the sort of wages they paid in the past so there only option will be to bring in MORE workers from Eastern Europe.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:49   #7
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
And they will employ Eastern European workers to dig the coal because they can pay them far less than workers from the UK. They will never ever make money at it if they pay the sort of wages they paid in the past so there only option will be to bring in MORE workers from Eastern Europe.
They are coming anyway unless the Tories stop them
Old 23-09-2013, 15:51   #8
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
They are coming anyway unless the Tories stop them
The Tories cannot stop them, Labour gave away the power to stop them when they sold us down the river to Europe.

Old 23-09-2013, 16:11   #9
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Coal is not cheap and it is not easy to use. I bought a house that still relied on open coal fire heating. We lived with it for three years until we had the heating system renovated and modernised. So I can say with some certainty that the only people who think coal is a good alternative are those who have never had anything else, and those that light a fire on Sunday afternoons in the winter and think it's oh, so romantic.

Shovelling out a grate three times a day, every day, for six to eight months of the year, is not fun and the amount of coal required is vast and expensive. It also makes the house permanently filthy with dust and ash, and vastly increases the risk of fatal house fires.
This takes me right back to the days before the gas mains came through here (about 15 years ago). Coming home from winter weekends away and having to clear out and reset the coke boiler and then wait, shivering, for it to get going - trying to keep the living room fire in overnight or (more often than not) face clearing and restarting it first thing in the morning - the dirt, the fumes, the uncontrollability and the scorched flooring - I certainly don't want to go back there again. And I've just remembered when one of the kids brushed her school skirt against the fire and melted huge holes in it. No - not my idea of romantic.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 20:11   #10
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Thank goodness we don't have a nation using coal fires anymore..The London smogs that were part and parcel of life in the 50s and into the 60s were horrendous.It's dirty and costs far too much to get out of the ground(human lives)and open cast mining is disfiguring(far more than hundreds of windmills) so I think opening the mines is out of the question.Especially as coal imported from abroad is far cheaper than any brought to the surface in this country.

As far as I'm concerned I wish government(any government) would pull their fingers out and actually build some new power stations and preferably nuclear ones.
Old 23-09-2013, 20:33   #11
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post

There is nothing stopping the mines being being reopened,trouble is that the coal is so deep it is not economic to retrieve it ,also it is relatively poor quality ,any economically viable coal is already being mined ,if there was money any money to be made someone reopening pits they would be doing it
Old 23-09-2013, 20:35   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I think Will was being ironic....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 20:48   #13
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I think Will was being ironic....
Ah, my bad post edited

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

Sorry Will just woke up
Old 23-09-2013, 20:53   #14
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Thank goodness we don't have a nation using coal fires anymore..The London smogs that were part and parcel of life in the 50s and into the 60s were horrendous.It's dirty and costs far too much to get out of the ground(human lives)and open cast mining is disfiguring(far more than hundreds of windmills) so I think opening the mines is out of the question.Especially as coal imported from abroad is far cheaper than any brought to the surface in this country.

As far as I'm concerned I wish government(any government) would pull their fingers out and actually build some new power stations and preferably nuclear ones.

Old 23-09-2013, 21:19   #15
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I suggest Arthur swaps to coal forthwith and reports back here in a year with his findings as to how cheap, clean and simple using it is...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote