Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 31-07-2010, 13:23   #1441
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: The iPhone thread

Is that really much different to the geolocation of IP addresses/GPS/GPRS positions that already goes on?

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02   #1442
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

I think that what it is saying is that if you OPT out of this feature you will not have access to the apple store for getting new apps\songs etc, or thats how I read it. So Apple are strong-arming you into doing this geo-locate if you want to continue with full access.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:53   #1443
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
I think that what it is saying is that if you OPT out of this feature you will not have access to the apple store for getting new apps\songs etc, or thats how I read it. So Apple are strong-arming you into doing this geo-locate if you want to continue with full access.
No they are not. You can still use the apple store, iTunes and so on.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:28   #1444
alferret
cf.mega poster

alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
No they are not. You can still use the apple store, iTunes and so on.
I must have mis-read it then, soz.

Quote:
Refusing to accept these terms -- even if you don't yet own an iPhone or iPad -- means you won't be able to download iTunes, preventing you from even using a non-location aware device such as an iPod shuffle. Perhaps Apple's new slogan should be "Like it, or lump it."
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42   #1445
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I must have mis-read it then, soz.
Yup, You agree to the terms and conditions and then you can opt-out. opt-out is not the same as disagreeing to the terms and conditions.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:50   #1446
alferret
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Yup, You agree to the terms and conditions and then you can opt-out. opt-out is not the same as disagreeing to the terms and conditions.

Tomatoes, Tomato's

Regardless of the way it looks its still Apple forcing things onto people whether or not you can opt out. Some people may not be savvy enough to realise this and TBH who reads the fine print on T&C's unless their anal.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:06   #1447
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Tomatoes, Tomato's

Regardless of the way it looks its still Apple forcing things onto people whether or not you can opt out. Some people may not be savvy enough to realise this and TBH who reads the fine print on T&C's unless their anal.
It's not the same thing. You said:

Quote:
You were stating that your impression was that in order to turn this feature off you would have to go without full accress. This is not the case. You can opt-out and continue to use the entire feature set on the phone.

Also Android has been doing the same for years with mobile search and a few days ago, to much less fanfare, turned it on for advertising in applications. This is the case on your Android phone right now and has been for years because as you say, who reads the Terms and Conditions.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:55   #1448
alferret
cf.mega poster

Whoa!

No need to get touchy, bloody hell, I just posted something that I saw elsewhere to let users of the iPhone know that there has been a change of T&C where some people may not have known & may themselves take issue with.
I can only interpret the sections I have read and I am certainly not going to get into an Android\iphone bashing conversation with you (or anyone else come to that)
Old 01-08-2010, 11:21   #1449
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Whoa!

No need to get touchy, bloody hell, I just posted something that I saw elsewhere to let users of the iPhone know that there has been a change of T&C where some people may not have known & may themselves take issue with.
I can only interpret the sections I have read and I am certainly not going to get into an Android\iphone bashing conversation with you (or anyone else come to that)
I wasn't getting touchy and I don't want to get into a Android or iPhone bashing conversation either. Look at my previous posts and you'll see I quite like Android devices such as the Desire and am excited by Android 3.0.

I initially pointed out that you had indeed read the situation wrong , which was understandable given that one of those articles was poorly written.

You then objected to that and saying it was the same thing. To which I reied that it wasn't and that it is unfair that only Apple are mentioned when android have done it for years with little complaint.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:15   #1450
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

New Jailbreak from the DevTeam!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/01/o...hone-dev-team/

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

All you need to do is visit http://jailbreakme.com/ via your iPhone's Safari browser...

Works for the iPhone 4 & previous devices, although not currently with iPads on iOS3.2.1

There are some issues with MMS & Facetime, which are being looked at by the DevTeam. Apparently one possible fix is to restore a backup in iTunes.

An FAQ:

http://claytonbraasch.blogspot.com/2...reakme-20.html
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:06   #1451
zing_deleted

Have you tried it? visited the link on the pc but I assume it does something else on the device. I want to update my ipod touch to 4 but dont want to lose the jb
Old 02-08-2010, 21:16   #1452
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Have you tried it? visited the link on the pc but I assume it does something else on the device. I want to update my ipod touch to 4 but dont want to lose the jb
Yeah it does show something different, it's been sitting at "Jailbreaking... Sit Tight" for me for 10 minutes now though

Edit: Seems to have finished now, Cydia was installed automatically, no reboot needed, very swish.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 21:29   #1453
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Yup, you need to visit the link using Safari on the iDevice you wish to Jailbreak.

It's been taking a hammering ever since it went live, which I guess explains the slowness you've had.

I'm still pondering whether to give it a go or not.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 22:32   #1454
zing_deleted

I am letting Cydia make my life easier before I try it at least then I can go back if needed

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

all worked very easy
Old 02-08-2010, 22:37   #1455
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Yup, you need to visit the link using Safari on the iDevice you wish to Jailbreak.

It's been taking a hammering ever since it went live, which I guess explains the slowness you've had.

I'm still pondering whether to give it a go or not.
You can always restore back, plus you can store your hashes on Cydia, so next time Apple release a bug laden POS software update you'll be able to revert back to your previous working version easily.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote