Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:45   #1651
Caspar
Inactive

Caspar has reached the bronze age
Caspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze age
Re: The iPhone thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Who claims it's the "best phone"?

I would guess that anyone who claims it is the "best phone" doesn't consider those to be limitations, as it does what exactly they want... which really is all that matters. It's the "best phone" for them, as it does what they want, has the features they want, has the apps they want, has the usability that they want.

Which phones beat the iPhone's camera "for years"? The best Android phone of 2010, the Galaxy S, was released around the same time as the iPhone 4, and like the iPhone 4 "only" had a 5MP camera. How many cameraphones with 5MP sensors or higher were available before June 2010? Obviously some, but how many, and how many went above 5MP? I remember my N95 (2007) had a 5MP camera... Unfortunately it was crap, as the JPEG compression was set way too high and could not be changed.

Bluetooth... I never used it when I had Nokia (Symbian S60), HTC (WM), or Sony-Ericsson (Symbian UIQ) phones. Well, that's a lie, I did "Bluejack" people on the train sometimes. Never used it for file transfers, though.

Send a photo by WiFi? You can always email it, by WiFi or 3G...Or send an MMS.

Sync via WiFi? iOS5 is finally bringing WiFi sync (& software updates, and more).

Video call? I've never used Apple's "Facetime" video calling, and know no one else who has. I never used normal 3G video calling prior to the iPhone, and know no one else who has. So I don't exactly miss 3G video calling...

I have no interest in using it as a HDD. Photos show up in Windows Explorer if I plug it in, that's all I need.

Battery? I never needed to change a battery on any previous phone, so the inability to do it on the iPhone doesn't bother me.

Storage? Don't care. I only have a 16GB model, and it's not full.

But what *I* want it for, what *I* use it for, makes it the best phone I have had.
I just had to reappear for a moment and post what an excellent response Matt - awesome! - fair, subjective and informed.

I would also agree with Matt - it's is the best phone I've owned and enjoy using it everyday - for all the same reasons. I also like the 'speed of fun' - such as a bored 2mins, jump on the app store and download a quick brain game to soak up a spare moment - it's easy, quick and free! (You can live in the app store and just use the free apps, especially for kids apps).

Camera is fine and does me
Pass files via... email, or us one of the many App store apps
Sync via cable when it charges, no biggie (wireless sync coming)
Facetime - yeah not many people use it, but it's there
Hdd? use dropbox for some of the many cloud services
Battery - why change it? your other phones must be damaged or have very poor batteries!

Cas
Caspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2011, 08:54   #1652
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

For overall still picture quality and recording, I have yet to see an iPhone which can beat the N95 8gb's camera.

Of course if camera phones mean little or nothing to you then it's hardly going to matter.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:12   #1653
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
For overall still picture quality and recording, I have yet to see an iPhone which can beat the N95 8gb's camera.

Of course if camera phones mean little or nothing to you then it's hardly going to matter.

I have an Iphone and i love it but i will agree that the N95 8mp camera is brilliant for a tiny phone camera sensor, it's down to the Carl zeiss lens which are brilliant.
But that just the problem, phone camera's are always going to have tiny sensors which is no good if you want great photo's no matter how good your phone's camera is.
I only ever use the camera on my phone for very basic things.
I have a nice point and shoot which comes with me most places and a Nikon Dslr for more organised trips.
So yes it's a great camera on the N95 but like all phones that's all they're ever going to be, Phones , so the camera argument doesn't come into it really
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:22   #1654
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
Serious question.

What is it that makes the iPhone the 'best phone'

After all, look at the limitations of the unit. Please note I'm looking at it in base form, without additional apps.
The camera isn't great - it's been beaten by other phones for years. The OS is restricted, you can't send or receive files or photos by bluetooth, you can't do the same or sync via Wifi (iOS5 may change SOME of that) you can't video call on 3G (Three had that feature since launch, I have phones 8 years old that can do it) Once you transfer music onto it you can't with the normal software transfer it back, you can't use it as a hard drive, the battery isn't user changeable, you can't upgrade it's storage. So why do people class it as the 'best phone'?

Please note that although there are apps and hacks you can apply to do some or all of the above you cannot in it's base form, You CAN do all of the above with other handsets in their base form so that is why the question is phrased as it is.
It most certainly isn't the best phone by a long shot, its simply a case of Apple telling people its the best thing ever and people getting brainwashed to think its true. My Galaxy S2 out performs the iPhone in everyway but when Apple's TV adverts claim the iPhone is the mutts nuts and if you don't have one then you don't have a phone gullible people everywhere will believe them.

I have owned an iPhone 3G in the past and its more that the OS is easy and simple and there are so many apps available that made it good but with Android now catching up with the amount of apps available and its growing market share, Apple really need to pull something amazing out of the bag to compete with the power of some other handsets.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:24   #1655
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger skillin View Post
So yes it's a great camera on the N95 but like all phones that's all they're ever going to be, Phones , so the camera argument doesn't come into it really
Yeah it does. A friend of mine is a journalist and uses her phone's camera for her employer's twitter feed for those 'breaking news' type stories that media companies have. She now uses the Samsung Galaxy 2 for it but up until around March of this year she was still using an N95.

I'm not saying camera quality will always be the deal-maker but it is important for some people. The iPhone 4's camera is decent for what it is but there are others (in particular, 4 or 5 year old phones) which do a better job.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:42   #1656
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Apple conference today, expect to see news on the iphone 5
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:13   #1657
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
Serious question.

What is it that makes the iPhone the 'best phone'

After all, look at the limitations of the unit. Please note I'm looking at it in base form, without additional apps.
Without taking apps into account, then it's just a phone like any other, my first nokia 3210 would be on par with it so on that I wouldn't say it's the best phone at all (far from it).

But it is the apps that makes it 'probably' the best phone and the how easy it is to obtain them. Add jailbreak and installous etc to it then it is going to be hard to beat.

I don't have one myself, I have a Sensation, even that is wasted on me as I still use it mainly for the phone, texting and the odd bit of browsing when I'm out and about (which is all nice and easy I must admit), the rest is just extra, mainly because the market place on Android is just so pants and I can't be bothered to use it.
Old 04-10-2011, 17:00   #1658
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Apple conference today, expect to see news on the iphone 5
Or the currently more likely Iphone 4s
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 17:46   #1659
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Confirmed. iPhone 4s it is.
Attached Images
File Type: png iphone_4s_images_black_white.png (60.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-10-2011, 17:51   #1660
XxAmazingStarxX
Permanently Banned

XxAmazingStarxX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
So I got my old iPhone 2g back from my dad last night.

I've been playing with it and setting it up with a (possible) view of giving it to my boy.

As it is carrier locked to AT&T I have jailbroken it to 3.1.3 which is the last firmware for that phone I believe.

I got push notification working - sorted youtube and even got it to work in stereo through bluetooth.

The only niggle I'm having at the moment is I want it to 'ding' more times when there's a text message waiting. Does anyone know if there's a jailbreak app for that? App sync you can get apps from whatever website u want then;-)

Cheers - Dilli.

p.s. any idea of other jailbreak stuff to install woud be nice (I put sbsettings on and winterboard)

App sync u have no restrictions to where u download things from Dilli:
D
XxAmazingStarxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 18:51   #1661
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Confirmed. iPhone 4s it is.
I still haven't seen it listed on any websites yet, where are you seeing the confirmation ?
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 19:05   #1662
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

it's on various live news updated sites.

http://live.thisismynext.com/Event/A...vent_live_blog

or

http://live.gdgt.com/live-apple-ipho...vent-coverage/
Old 04-10-2011, 19:13   #1663
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Marketing & the Apple brand...
Thats is major falling point,

only 1 supplier & phone.

Android is on a lot more phones and manufacturers to choose from.

Most importantly the iphone contacts costs a fortune, thats one of the reason I went for a droid phone.
Old 04-10-2011, 19:44   #1664
techguyone
Deus Vult

Heh apple now pretty much copying an already existing app for iOS

http://allthingsd.com/20111004/apple...an-foursquare/

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Doesn't look like any iphone 5 then (unless they do a really really late 'just one thing' announcement.)

So that's pretty poor for Apple, and is behind the tech curve now. Ouch
Old 04-10-2011, 19:57   #1665
XxAmazingStarxX
Permanently Banned

XxAmazingStarxX is an unknown quantity at this point

iPhone 5 out some time this month
XxAmazingStarxX is offline   Reply With Quote