Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New phones for 2013 ???

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New phones for 2013 ???

Old 02-01-2013, 23:42   #16
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: New phones for 2013 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
just been looking at the SGS 3 on vm's site and may go with that or SGS4
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23   #17
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I'm due an upgrade soon on my VM phone so any recommends for a good android smart phone will be of help .I think i will be paying at least £25 p/m as i am not a vm customer but i do get good service from them and do get a good loyalty discount as i've been with them for nearly 9 yrs
Currently the GS3 is the best Android on VM apart from the Note 2 but that is a little bit on the lasrge side.

Whilst the S4 may be announced around April time it probably won't be on sale till May/June as per the S3 last year.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:48   #18
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgie View Post
Well, I'm paying £30 +vat a month just now with T Mobile for 2000 mins and free texts.

Our lad is only paying a fraction of that with his V/M Blackberry mobile phone?
Because current BlackBerrys are very cheap (PAYG is about £95) in comparison to most handsets. Your T-Mobile deal must be an old one or you must have unlimited data cos' that is far higher than you need to be paying.
Old 03-01-2013, 15:20   #19
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Currently the GS3 is the best Android on VM apart from the Note 2 but that is a little bit on the lasrge side.

Whilst the S4 may be announced around April time it probably won't be on sale till May/June as per the S3 last year.

do you think there will be much difference between the GS3 and 4 ?
Old 03-01-2013, 19:02   #20
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
do you think there will be much difference between the GS3 and 4 ?
There will always be newer models that make the one you just got seem outdated While the S4 will have a few new tricks, the S3 will do pretty much all you want it to do anyway.

Personally I would say don't get an S3 unless it is the LTE version, which apart from having double the memory also supports 4G. The one Virgin offer is not the 4G/LTE model.

It depends what you want from a phone to be honest but getting the S3 LTE makes it a bit more future proof if you wanted a new phone right now.

When looking for a new phone not so long ago, I noticed Virgin mobile got the new phones many months after all the other providers offered them. You may have that problem waiting for the S4 too.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 19:47   #21
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
There will always be newer models that make the one you just got seem outdated While the S4 will have a few new tricks, the S3 will do pretty much all you want it to do anyway.

Personally I would say don't get an S3 unless it is the LTE version, which apart from having double the memory also supports 4G. The one Virgin offer is not the 4G/LTE model.

It depends what you want from a phone to be honest but getting the S3 LTE makes it a bit more future proof if you wanted a new phone right now.

When looking for a new phone not so long ago, I noticed Virgin mobile got the new phones many months after all the other providers offered them. You may have that problem waiting for the S4 too.
Cheers for that
I've had another look at the S3 and it will do what i want .so might go for that ,i will get it on a 18month contract end of feb beginning of march when my current one is up .4G isn't up and running properly yet anyway so it may pay to wait a bit for that
Old 03-01-2013, 20:48   #22
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Good choice If anyone asks I always mention the 4G version as in theory it is futureproof enough to not need replacing for many many years, if at all.

Got the standard S3 on a Three unlimited plan. Happy as Larry with the phone, so don't think you will have any regrets
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00   #23
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

VM have just started selling the Nexus 4 which is another great android handset and currently the only phone I know running 4.2 Jelly Bean.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06   #24
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

They've also started selling the HTC One SV, which as far as I can tell is an LTE device - though there has been no mention of any plans for VM to start doing 4G yet
Old 04-01-2013, 17:00   #25
Jameseh

From £31 a month for a phone that is £239 SIM free, just what are they subsidizing?
Old 04-01-2013, 17:22   #26
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
From £31 a month for a phone that is £239 SIM free, just what are they subsidizing?
Part of the Virgin price is insurance, which is why all their phones on contract cost more than everywhere else. You can't remove the insurance with them as far as I know.

Still pricey compared to other providers. I paid £0 upfront for the S3 and £29 a month for the Three One plan which compares the Virgins equivalent of £19 up front and £41 a month. No FUP or whatever on the Three either.

You can then add insurance on top if you want which brings the prices closer although virgin still comes out more costly. Think the Samsung phones have 2 year manufacturer warranty anyway.

The LTE phones are reported to use a lot more of the battery, so something else to consider if you don't care much for 4G.
Old 05-01-2013, 21:31   #27
Gadgie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone, 10Meg Internet & TV & phone package.
Gadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Gadgie

Quote..."Your T-Mobile deal must be an old one or you must have unlimited data cos' that is far higher than you need to be paying. "

Yea! I know, but I'm stuck with it for another 12 months?

If I change over to VM next time, does that mean I could call my Vm home number for free, if my mobile is also VM (and vice versa)
Gadgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43   #28
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgie View Post
If I change over to VM next time, does that mean I could call my Vm home number for free, if my mobile is also VM (and vice versa)
At the moment, calling a VM landline from a VM Mobile is the only part of the VM phone to VM phone circle that counts as a 'normal' call, so would come out of any standard bundle minutes or would be charged if you didn't have any minutes remaining
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28   #29
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

There is normally quite a few Virgin to Virgin minutes included in the VM mobile tariffs, on top of the normal call allowance. Maybe Ben can confirm if those calls cover mobile to home calls or just VM mobile to VM mobile.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41   #30
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Maybe Ben can confirm if those calls cover mobile to home calls or just VM mobile to VM mobile.
Only VM Mobile to VM Mobile. As I posted above the VM Mobile to VM Landline is currently the missing link.