Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Mobile sending texts at 2am!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Mobile sending texts at 2am!

Old 05-01-2010, 15:50   #16
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: Virgin Mobile sending texts at 2am!

Not really to be honest. I'd rather a text than no text at all to be honest with you. Not trying to " wind you up" just, the way your are portraying this, it's like Virgin are the spawn of the devil himself. Atleast they had the decency to notify you, the could of easily done nothing and suspended your services.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2010, 16:10   #17
snowballs
Inactive

snowballs is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Not really to be honest. I'd rather a text than no text at all to be honest with you. Not trying to " wind you up" just, the way your are portraying this, it's like Virgin are the spawn of the devil himself. Atleast they had the decency to notify you, the could of easily done nothing and suspended your services.

I would rather they had suspended my services and not sent the text.

If the payment was only late because it was a bank holiday (which they were aware of) and i have never had a late payment before etc then why bother sending the text in the first place?

Most company's would at least send you some sort of reminder that your payment was late and take it from there. To send a sh1tty text and say i have lost my services is a bit over the top, surely you would agree with that.

I cant think of any service that would be terminated if a payment was 2 days late. Mobiles are all about communicating and they didnt manage it very well.
snowballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 17:29   #18
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The terms seem quite clear to me:

6.7 Payment in full: You must pay your Charges in full in the amount requested within 14 days of the date of your bill. Unless you contact us to pay your Charges in advance, as set out in clause 6.10, you must pay your bill by direct debit from a suitable bank account that allows payment by direct debit. If the Charges are not paid in full and on time we can stop you using some or all of our Services and may cancel this Agreement. If you think there is mistake in your bill, please tell us as soon as possible so that we can check this
Old 05-01-2010, 17:41   #19
snowballs
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The terms seem quite clear to me:

6.7 Payment in full: You must pay your Charges in full in the amount requested within 14 days of the date of your bill. Unless you contact us to pay your Charges in advance, as set out in clause 6.10, you must pay your bill by direct debit from a suitable bank account that allows payment by direct debit. If the Charges are not paid in full and on time we can stop you using some or all of our Services and may cancel this Agreement. If you think there is mistake in your bill, please tell us as soon as possible so that we can check this

And does it say that they can text you at 2am if you are late paying a bill?
Old 05-01-2010, 17:45   #20
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I don't get why the 2am thing is such an issue for you.

But the T&Cs also say:

8.2 Suspension for other reasons: We may also suspend your use of the Services and disconnect your SIM from the Network without giving you notice if you, or anyone who uses your SIM:
(i) any direct debit for your account has been suspended, cancelled or is otherwise inactive

To pay late in the first place than this clause has to have been in effect
Old 05-01-2010, 17:53   #21
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

If it's a VM mobile then did you allow for them to contact you by SMS when you took out the contract? Is/was there an option to opt out of that? If it's a pre-requisite that they CAN contact you if you have a VM mobile I'd be sorely tempted to go elsewhere. If you chose not to be contacted and still are then that's an issue you should raise.
FWIW I sympathise.
Automated service texts in the middle of the night can be annoying. O2 and Nokia have both done it - O2 much less these days admittedly, I think that must have been sorted for the UK timeline. I don't expect Nokia would be that attentive to UK times though.
VM on the other hand ought to be aware of their system's send out time IMO. If something can send after 00:00 then surley it can be programmed to send after 07:00 also.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 17:56   #22
snowballs
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I don't get why the 2am thing is such an issue for you.

But the T&Cs also say:

8.2 Suspension for other reasons: We may also suspend your use of the Services and disconnect your SIM from the Network without giving you notice if you, or anyone who uses your SIM:
(i) any direct debit for your account has been suspended, cancelled or is otherwise inactive

To pay late in the first place than this clause has to have been in effect
My original issue was the fact that i got the text at 2am. I think a lot of people would be pretty ****ed off it happened to them.

The payment thing was very petty on their behalf considering they restored my services immediately and still without having received the payment.

Its like the postman knocking your door at 2am to get you to sign for a letter. There are just some things that you wouldn't do.
Old 05-01-2010, 18:05   #23
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

Quote:
My original issue was the fact that i got the text at 2am. I think a lot of people would be pretty ****ed off it happened to them.
To be honest, it's only a text, it's a case of reading it with one eye open, muttering something like 'flids' or a word of choice, job done.

We all get txt's at odd times, delayed ones, wrong number ones, mates can't sleep ones, mates working shifts ones, Important ones..

It's only a txt.. and imo needs to be treated with that in mind..
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 18:10   #24
snowballs
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfair View Post
To be honest, it's only a text, it's a case of reading it with one eye open, muttering something like 'flids' or a word of choice, job done.

We all get txt's at odd times, delayed ones, wrong number ones, mates can't sleep ones, mates working shifts ones, Important ones..

It's only a txt.. and imo needs to be treated with that in mind..
Its an invasion of privacy.
Old 05-01-2010, 18:37   #25
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarap15sedoff View Post

The payment thing was very petty on their behalf considering they restored my services immediately and still without having received the payment.

Its like the postman knocking your door at 2am to get you to sign for a letter. There are just some things that you wouldn't do.

First and foremost, please do not use that language around here. I don't wanna hear it nor see it. |

I get a text every Monday morning, from Lloyds at around 3:30AM, doesn't bother me because I have the brain to put my phone on silent.

Either way, if it is "petty" your payment was late. End of

In my eyes, it's just a ruddy text. Nothing less nothing more. I can't see why this is a massive issue.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 18:56   #26
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
If it's a VM mobile then did you allow for them to contact you by SMS when you took out the contract? Is/was there an option to opt out of that?
OP - Will you answer these or not?
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 19:03   #27
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

You don't get a choice:

5.6 Communicating with you: Our preferred method of communicating any changes or other notices to you is by sending you an email or a text message

6.6 Getting it to you: We will send your bill to you by text message (but we may need to use another means) unless you have advised us that you want to receive it by one of the other means we offer
Old 06-01-2010, 05:56   #28
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

This is not a mountain out of a mole hill - I get why the 2am thing is an issue - it shouldn't be bloody happening. I don't blame the OP for being very aggrieved by it. I would be as well.

Sure the phone can be turned off or on to silent but if you need it to be contacted for emergency then it makes having a means to be contacted pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
OP - Will you answer these or not?
Why does she need to answer that? - whether she did or didn't doesn't justify by any means, to be contacted at such an inappropriate time.

Would those who have made the point about the phone being on silent - say the same thing if they were woken up in the night at 2am by a salesman or any other company rep knocking at your door? How would you feel about it? Would you think I must remove the knocker/doorbell or 'silence' it in some way or would you feel very aggrieved (just like the OP is in their case) that you were disturbed so inappropriately at that time?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:22   #29
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

All my texts from VM normally come after 8am. Was the text actually sent at 2am, or did it just arrive at that time ?

The thing you must remember about the SMS system is its like e-mail, just because you send a text at a particular time, doesnt mean it will arrive straight away, if the system cannot deliver it for any reason first time, it gets queued for periodic retires until its TTL expires, and then its just dropped.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:53   #30
snowballs
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
This is not a mountain out of a mole hill - I get why the 2am thing is an issue - it shouldn't be bloody happening. I don't blame the OP for being very aggrieved by it. I would be as well.

Sure the phone can be turned off or on to silent but if you need it to be contacted for emergency then it makes having a means to be contacted pointless.

Why does she need to answer that? - whether she did or didn't doesn't justify by any means, to be contacted at such an inappropriate time.

Would those who have made the point about the phone being on silent - say the same thing if they were woken up in the night at 2am by a salesman or any other company rep knocking at your door? How would you feel about it? Would you think I must remove the knocker/doorbell or 'silence' it in some way or would you feel very aggrieved (just like the OP is in their case) that you were disturbed so inappropriately at that time?
Thank you for understanding my original post.

And as i already pointed out, i was told by VM yesterday that this was an issue that they were looking into as they agreed that it was not good practice. The fact that they are already aware that it happens and have not yet done anything to rectify it is wrong. It does make you wonder if they will ever resolve it. I will not be renewing my contract when it ends and i am sure there are many others that have and will not renew theirs. This morning i received another text before 8am from VM.

I am taking advice from various organisations and will let you know the outcome on this.