Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Internet costs for 300/300 for £10 users?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Internet costs for 300/300 for £10 users?

Old 20-09-2008, 09:26   #1
stanno
Inactive

stanno is an unknown quantity at this point
Internet costs for 300/300 for £10 users?

I'm on the 300 mins/texts for £10 a month. How much will it cost me to use my mobile to access the net? All I can see on the Virgin site are references to Bites (don't really know what they are!), and that they are free for monthly contracs but cost for PAYG.

Can anyone tell me what the actual costs are going to be? Cheers.
stanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2008, 10:40   #2
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers
Re: Internet costs for 300/300 for £10 users?

Quote:
3G or GPRS 0.5p per Kb
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...ges.shop.sm142
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 11:22   #3
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanno View Post
I'm on the 300 mins/texts for £10 a month. How much will it cost me to use my mobile to access the net? All I can see on the Virgin site are references to Bites (don't really know what they are!), and that they are free for monthly contracs but cost for PAYG.

Can anyone tell me what the actual costs are going to be? Cheers.
Calls and services outside that package are really expensive.
I'd look at the offers from o2 and the simplicity sims. the £20 a month one gives you 600 mins and unlimited texts. you can choose the free £7.50 web bolt on which gives you unlimited web access.
Video calls count as minutes, where Virgin charge 50p a throw!
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 12:45   #4
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Thats my only grudge with Virgin Mobile, the Data charges are LAUGHABLE.
Do they not want us to stick with them and use their service, because if they dont do something soon, ill be leaving and going to one of the other operators who have much better data charges/bundles.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 19:59   #5
tonycee
cf.member

Services: V6 100 broadband
tonycee is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been on the 300/300 sim for £10pm for a long time now.

Until about 2 months ago I was able to access internet using dial-up setting (a bit slow but worked well) on my virgin mobile lobster 700 and the cost was simply deducted from my available minutes. In other words if I was using internet for 15 minutes it would 'cost' me 15 talk minutes but no data charges.

Then this facility suddenly seemed to stop, either that or something wrong with my phone now.

Anyone know why this facility is no longer available

Thanks
tonycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 02:07   #6
hardtarget
Inactive

hardtarget is an unknown quantity at this point

i want to know the same
hardtarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 16:40   #7
King Of Fools
Inactive

Services: 2 for £22 (Broadband Size: M and Phone Size: M), Free TV Size: M and fries!
King Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycee View Post
Then this facility suddenly seemed to stop, either that or something wrong with my phone now.

Anyone know why this facility is no longer available
T-Mobile closed the old CSD service:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/11/t_mobile_csd/
King Of Fools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 20:07   #8
tonycee
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Fools View Post
T-Mobile closed the old CSD service:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/11/t_mobile_csd/

Thank you for the information. I suspected this was the case but its a pity Virgin Mobile did not see fit to notify me (as T Mobile did with their customers)

I never saw anything on the Virgin Mobile web site about it, but did notice they had removed the WAP details from their settings info page.
Old 25-09-2008, 20:47   #9
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycee View Post
Thank you for the information. I suspected this was the case but its a pity Virgin Mobile did not see fit to notify me (as T Mobile did with their customers)

I never saw anything on the Virgin Mobile web site about it, but did notice they had removed the WAP details from their settings info page.
Virgin as a company don't tell their customers anything. I think it's become policy now.
Old 25-09-2008, 21:21   #10
tonycee
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Virgin as a company don't tell their customers anything. I think it's become policy now.
actually, i did get a text from virgin on 28 March which said - "from 23/6/2008 mobile internet in the uk will cost 0.2p/kb, not 0.5p"

but on web site it still says 0.5p and it still says wap(csd) is charged at "standard call costs"
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...ges.shop.sm142

no wonder I am confused by this
Old 18-10-2008, 12:45   #11
confucious

Just checked and it does now say 0.2p per Kb - which means it is now 'only' £2/Mb which, given my monthly data usage on T-Mobile is about 500Mb / month would only cost me £1000.00/month - bargain!

PS I know 1Mb is 1024 Kb but I rounded it.
Old 19-10-2008, 11:35   #12
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by confucious View Post
Just checked and it does now say 0.2p per Kb - which means it is now 'only' £2/Mb which, given my monthly data usage on T-Mobile is about 500Mb / month would only cost me £1000.00/month - bargain!
It is ridiculous how much one person can pay compared to another. just from being on the right package.
you have to think that there are people actually paying these hundreds of pounds every month when they could be just paying a few quid for the same thing.
Old 19-10-2008, 13:46   #13
confucious

You pay your money and make your choice.
I pay £21 For Flext35 and W'n'W Plus on T-Mobile (upto 900 mins or 1800 texts and 3Gb data) because that's what suits me. My partner is on the 300+300 virgin tariff as she does not use data.
Horses for courses.
Old 29-10-2008, 21:34   #14
Visitor
Inactive

Services: Broadband
Visitor is on a distinguished roadVisitor is on a distinguished road

We use 02, got in with the old simplicity online sim only. 600Min 1000 Text, and free unlimited calls to any landline, and any mobile Sat,Sun,Mon @ £25 (long weekend)

That has now gone down to £20 for us

However, the new simplicity online sim only, is 02-to 02 Sat,Sun (long weekend)

Monthly contract, video calling (out of your min)

But what makes 02 the best in my mind, is the customer service, if things go wrong, they do everything to help you, and credit your account to say sorry.

We had a bad signal one day... How many companies you know send an engineer out the same day to your house to check the signal level, and find the problem ?

= zero

02 did !
Visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 21:43   #15
confucious

So you pay £20/month but without data? Not for me thanks. T-Mobs CS is the best IMHO

Whatever suits you but I use data!