Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nokia N96

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nokia N96

Old 11-09-2008, 20:16   #16
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Nokia N96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post

and your post about poor reception with 3, its nothing to do with 3, as they have 99.5% voice and text coverage in the UK, its to do with the 6500 Slide, as the reception thing that picks up a signal is on the bottom of the phone, not the top, and try upgrading the software using Nokia Software Updater, as far as i know the current software version for Nokia 6500 Slide is v8.30
Going off topic for a second, everyone I know who has used three has complained of bad reception. That is several people, on several phones (some of which hold the signal quite reliably on other networks) and in several areas. In my experience, 3 have a terrible network.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2008, 20:49   #17
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Going off topic for a second, everyone I know who has used three has complained of bad reception. That is several people, on several phones (some of which hold the signal quite reliably on other networks) and in several areas. In my experience, 3 have a terrible network.
Staying OT briefly...

Ditto ^^
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 21:08   #18
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby

I have an excellent reception with 3, and do just about everywhere I go. Currently using N95, but recently had several SE and other Nokia's with no problems.
And on top of that when using the internet on my phone, 9 times out of 10 I'm on a HSDPA signal.
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 22:02   #19
sprattgraham
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP
sprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the rough

Only network that’s can give me a reliable GSM & 3G signal here is Virgin/T-Mobile

Orange is useless on GSM and there isn’t any 3G Coverage despite the website saying there is and 3 uses the Orange network so can’t use them.

02 have a Transmitter next to a T-Mobile Transmitter that’s been there for years and it’s only 200m from me, but there doesn’t seem to be any 3G coverage on 02

Similar issue with Vodafone there use to be a really good GSM signal until they rebuilt the petrol station across the road from us and according to the local Vodafone shop there use to be a Transmitter in the roof of the station that wasn’t replaced.
sprattgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:12   #20
i-Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
your post about poor reception with 3, its nothing to do with 3, as they have 99.5% voice and text coverage in the UK, its to do with the 6500 Slide, as the reception thing that picks up a signal is on the bottom of the phone, not the top, and try upgrading the software using Nokia Software Updater, as far as i know the current software version for Nokia 6500 Slide is v8.30
yep i understand, it seemed to be a manufactuing problem from nokias side...

just wondering my contract with 3 finishes in like 9 months and im looking forward to move over to o2...would it be best to take out a contract with o2 themselves direct or go with a high street shop such as carphone warehouse or phones4u for an o2 contract. its just that shops like phones4u give you a better deal for new customers straight away whereas o2 give out a better deal after you upgrade. so which route should i take
Old 12-09-2008, 13:50   #21
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

I have only just gone onto the "3" network on a nokia N95 8GB,and my signal is excellent much better then the signal i used to get on the vm/t mobile network,and my 3G coverage is top notch,all in all i am very pleased so far with "3" and yes i would recommend them.

I would think reception goes like most networks on an area by area basis,where i live orange is not much cop and t mobile is very patchy.Which is why i changed networks from vm/t mobile to "3".
Old 14-09-2008, 16:04   #22
i-Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
I have only just gone onto the "3" network on a nokia N95 8GB,and my signal is excellent much better then the signal i used to get on the vm/t mobile network,and my 3G coverage is top notch,all in all i am very pleased so far with "3" and yes i would recommend them.

I would think reception goes like most networks on an area by area basis,where i live orange is not much cop and t mobile is very patchy.Which is why i changed networks from vm/t mobile to "3".
im delighted for ya...like i said i think its my nokia 6500 slides recepter which is based on the bottom of the phone thats giving me grief because my old 6300 was great with 3.

anyways back to topic whens the n96 coming out on 3? i wanna buy it for my dad but ill pay the contract
Old 14-09-2008, 17:02   #23
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Set View Post
im delighted for ya...like i said i think its my nokia 6500 slides recepter which is based on the bottom of the phone thats giving me grief because my old 6300 was great with 3.

anyways back to topic whens the n96 coming out on 3? i wanna buy it for my dad but ill pay the contract
Apparently you can pre order in-store now
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 18:06   #24
i-Set

cool...i asked before but no one answered but ill ask again in hope that someone answers this time lol

i might give my current 3 contract to my sister and am looking to buy an o2 contract as i have always like their service and coverage on pay as u go....would it be best to take out a contract with o2 themselves direct or go with a high street shop such as carphone warehouse or phones4u for an o2 contract.

thing is with o2 their minutes and texts on cheaper tarrifs are crap but after a year or so o2 do give customers a good upgrade. whereas p4u and cpw do good offers for new customers right at the beginning on say a 25,30 quid monthly contract.
Old 15-09-2008, 08:35   #25
stalin12
Inactive

stalin12 is an unknown quantity at this point

N95 or N95 8GB, and VM doesn't have a great range.
stalin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 12:13   #26
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Guys, can we get the topic back on topic? The topic is the Nokia n96, not the n95 (standard or 8 gig) or the 6500.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 13:17   #27
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
yep i understand, it seemed to be a manufactuing problem from nokias side...

just wondering my contract with 3 finishes in like 9 months and im looking forward to move over to o2...would it be best to take out a contract with o2 themselves direct or go with a high street shop such as carphone warehouse or phones4u for an o2 contract. its just that shops like phones4u give you a better deal for new customers straight away whereas o2 give out a better deal after you upgrade. so which route should i take
O2 in recent months or years haven't done good deals at all, but lately they have started to introduce excellent offers, so i guess in 9 months or so check their website before going to Phones4U or simular, as they seem to charge more then if you get it direct from a networks website.

For example for 300 Minutes or Texts, 300 3to3 mins, 18 Month contract and a Nokia N95 8GB Three is charging £24 per month, where as Phones4U for exatly the same are charging £35 per month.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 13:31   #28
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Here is a link that contains a review of the N96,it has 16GB of memory as standard. Looks good too.

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/...r?lpsrc=google
Old 23-09-2008, 20:14   #29
i-Set

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/19...available.html

n96 available to order on three network...being discussed on above post
Old 24-09-2008, 06:53   #30
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

Quote:
im with 3 btw have been for the last 6 months and the offer which u mentioned the 1100 mix and match for 20 quid on the nokia 6500 slide, i can honestly say that 3 are rubbish. why i hear you cry, basically hardly any coverage and the customer service is atrocious but when i do get coverage 20 quid for 1100 is value for money. the thing is the coverage may be due manufacturing problems of the 6500 because if i stick the same sim card into my old 6630 then its got top coverage.

5 quid for 300 mins and 300 txts is banging lol...i may stay with them if they give me a different phone but no matter what offer they give me if the customer service isnt improved within one year then i will not stay...when i say improved i mean uk call centres and not indian ones. im not racist or anything but its just the way it is. for eg im with Natwest simply because of their uk branch call centres and their excellent customer service.

damn long post lol sorry but just wondering those who are with o2...whats the customer service like and the network coverage?
the nokia 6500 slide has got lots of known problems with reception, nokia in there wisdom put the aerial/receiver at the bottom of the phone for some strange reason, personally i think you have 2 choices with that phone either use it upside down or get them to change the phone for a differant model.
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote