Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nokia N96

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nokia N96

Old 08-09-2008, 13:30   #1
sprattgraham
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP
sprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the rough
Nokia N96

I guess we’re not going to see Virgin Mobile offer the Nokia N96 on contract.
sprattgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2008, 14:47   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Nokia N96

What makes you say that? It has only been released for SIM-Free sale at the moment.

It is officially launched by Nokia in October for contract sales
Old 08-09-2008, 14:56   #3
sprattgraham
Inactive

sprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the rough

Because they haven't done the N95 or N95 8GB, and VM doesn't have a great range.
Old 08-09-2008, 15:04   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

They did do the N95 when it first came out, but they currently don't have any of the N-series Nokias

They do the Sony C902, Samsung Toco, Samsung U900 and LG KC550 which are all 5MP phones so not doing too bad.

You never know they may get the LG KC910, the Samsung innov8 (which is also Symbian), or the Sony C905 phones instead. All of which are 8MP
Old 08-09-2008, 15:17   #5
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I hope they have a symbian series phone when my contract is up.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 15:27   #6
sprattgraham
Inactive

Let’s say they do the Nokia N96 and the BBC iPlayer is available I guess we have to pay £50 for a 30 minute episode because of there data charges.

VM have very little choice compared to the other networks and there Tariffs are a total joke, VM £40 - 750 Minutes / T-Mobile £25 - 700 Minutes

Looks like I’ll be going back to T-Mobile next month when my contact ends unless something changes very soon.

The only good thing about Virgin Mobile is Customer Service and the reliability of the T-Mobile network.
Old 09-09-2008, 22:23   #7
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
I hope they have a symbian series phone when my contract is up.
I have just signed up to a "3" service contract got the N95 8GB for £27 per month 500 mix and match mins,plus unlimited internet access for an extra £5 per month.

I was previously with virgin mobile brilliant customer service,but their data charges are quite dear,and a lack of 3G coverage where i live,made me change,not to mention they did not do the phone i wanted,and yes the N95 is every bit as good as i thought it would be.
Old 09-09-2008, 23:27   #8
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

There is no 3g coverage here. But I'd not go back to 3 under any circumstances.

Cheers for the thought though
Old 10-09-2008, 00:34   #9
richard1960

Quote:
There is no 3g coverage here. But I'd not go back to 3 under any circumstances.

Cheers for the thought though
Why not? i know quite a few people on "3" including myself who have had no problems.

Could i ask what problems you encountered,obviously you had a bad expierience.Whereas i have not.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:11   #10
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Every phone I had from them didn't work properly (the last one was a n80 but I had a few motorolas and a couple of nec ones too) - The coverage was appalling. The customer services people were rude,liars and useless.

However the coverage thing may well be due to my location. But the customer service thing was totally inexcusable.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:50   #11
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Apparently the N96 is going to be released on "3" network first sometime this month or next month, but O2 would most prob have it also.
Virgin is crap for value for money on mobiles, minutes and texts and their range of mobiles is crap too.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:08   #12
richard1960

Quote:
Every phone I had from them didn't work properly (the last one was a n80 but I had a few motorolas and a couple of nec ones too) - The coverage was appalling. The customer services people were rude,liars and useless.

However the coverage thing may well be due to my location. But the customer service thing was totally inexcusable.
Quite understandable you got pi--ed off with them then,i think since you were with "3" c/s must have inproved, one thing i did notice though was when purchasing the contract you were put through to a uk call centre.

Though for c/s afterwards you get through to indian ones! Though on the couple of occasions i have spoken to them they seem ok. Er i would add so far.

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Apparently the N96 is going to be released on "3" network first sometime this month or next month, but O2 would most prob have it also.
Virgin is crap for value for money on mobiles, minutes and texts and their range of mobiles is crap too.
I would agree with the fact you stated as far as vm contract mobiles go, the 300/300 mins/text sim only package for vm cable customers is quite good, and c/s is second to none.

But if you want access to 3G services vm will not be for you which is a shame as i would have stayed with them,but for contract phones i would say vm are expensive and the handset range as you have said is not good.

Goodness knows if vm get the N96 how much it will be per month,though they have no nokia symbian phones at present,why i do not know as they are very popular.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:55   #13
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post

I would agree with the fact you stated as far as vm contract mobiles go, the 300/300 mins/text sim only package for vm cable customers is quite good, and c/s is second to none.

But if you want access to 3G services vm will not be for you which is a shame as i would have stayed with them,but for contract phones i would say vm are expensive and the handset range as you have said is not good.

Goodness knows if vm get the N96 how much it will be per month,though they have no nokia symbian phones at present,why i do not know as they are very popular.
To be honest, th 300/300 is OK, but "3" do something quite better, if you stay with them after your contract ends, they give you 300 Minutes, 300 Texts, 300 3to3 minutes + some video minutes for £5 per month, both my mum and dad have that which is great value for money, and only recently was "3" giving 1100 minutes or texts + 300 3to3 minutes + Nokia 6500 Slide for £20 per month.

3 do good loyalty discounts

and O2 are doing a decentl deal also, up to 800 minutes + 1000 texts + a bolt on of your choice for £20 per month
Old 11-09-2008, 16:27   #14
i-Set

Talking Re: Nokia N96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
To be honest, th 300/300 is OK, but "3" do something quite better, if you stay with them after your contract ends, they give you 300 Minutes, 300 Texts, 300 3to3 minutes + some video minutes for £5 per month, both my mum and dad have that which is great value for money, and only recently was "3" giving 1100 minutes or texts + 300 3to3 minutes + Nokia 6500 Slide for £20 per month.

3 do good loyalty discounts

and O2 are doing a decentl deal also, up to 800 minutes + 1000 texts + a bolt on of your choice for £20 per month
im with 3 btw have been for the last 6 months and the offer which u mentioned the 1100 mix and match for 20 quid on the nokia 6500 slide, i can honestly say that 3 are rubbish. why i hear you cry, basically hardly any coverage and the customer service is atrocious but when i do get coverage 20 quid for 1100 is value for money. the thing is the coverage may be due manufacturing problems of the 6500 because if i stick the same sim card into my old 6630 then its got top coverage.

5 quid for 300 mins and 300 txts is banging lol...i may stay with them if they give me a different phone but no matter what offer they give me if the customer service isnt improved within one year then i will not stay...when i say improved i mean uk call centres and not indian ones. im not racist or anything but its just the way it is. for eg im with Natwest simply because of their uk branch call centres and their excellent customer service.

damn long post lol sorry but just wondering those who are with o2...whats the customer service like and the network coverage?
Old 11-09-2008, 18:03   #15
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Set View Post
just wondering those who are with o2...whats the customer service like and the network coverage?
I also have an O2 contract too and the reception is awesome, just pop in a PAYG O2 SIM in a phone for a day and you will see what i mean, i don't think any other network can compete with O2 for network coverage, as for customer service, its extreemly poor right now, well below average, possibly because (and they warn you before putting you through) that the iPhone 3G is causing a large increase of calls.

and your post about poor reception with 3, its nothing to do with 3, as they have 99.5% voice and text coverage in the UK, its to do with the 6500 Slide, as the reception thing that picks up a signal is on the bottom of the phone, not the top, and try upgrading the software using Nokia Software Updater, as far as i know the current software version for Nokia 6500 Slide is v8.30