Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo Account HELP

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

can you use a magic eye with a v+ box

Old 31-03-2007, 19:28   #1
stooster
Inactive

stooster is an unknown quantity at this point
can you use a magic eye with a v+ box

hi

is the new V+ box compatible with the magic eyes that work with sky.

I have set up one of these on the father in laws sky a while ago and allows him to watch the same chanel in a different room but also change it from that room.

I have also set up a video sender for my fater on cable that will show the tv but does not allow it to be changed from that room.

when he contacted cable some time ago he was told that the cable box is different to the sky one and changing the channel in a different room can not be done..

so...

does the new v+ box allow you to do this...

I want to have V+ as a main tv with my current cable box in the conservatory under the £10 per month for V+ plus the £5 per month for second room deal they have..and also use one of these magic eyes to watch tv in bed sometimes but also want to change the channel when there.

hope this makes sense..

cheers

stu
stooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 23:21   #2
smithgor
Inactive

smithgor is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: can you use a magic eye with a v+ box

Hi Stu,

Are you referring to something like the Xantech 'Dinky Link' which effectvely receives the signals from your remote(s) in one room and transmits them down a wire to the digibox / V+ or whatever in another room?

If so then I think you may be OK. I've used this system for several years and replace the sky box last week with the V+ and its working OK with the V+ remote and a programmable remote - however the TV remote supposedly can operate it and does so in front of the V+, but not down the dinky which I cant understand - still 2 out of 3 eh?.

Seems both are standard RC5/6 codes rather that the more complex IrDA which would be a problem.

Cheers
Gordon
smithgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 23:20   #3
weasel
Inactive

weasel is an unknown quantity at this point

Stu,

Yes you can, with V+ or Samsung (not Pace, which uses IrDA). I use a TVLinkPlus (see www.tvlink.co.uk) to control my Samsung V-box, works perfectly. You need a single high-quality coax run between the V/V+ box and the point from where you want to control it.

Cheers,

Paul
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 23:42   #4
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal

By "magic Eye" do you also mean those little units they call Powermids? I.e. little black pyramid shaped (radio connected) infra red sender and receiver units? These things worked great on the old analogue boxes, but don't on the digital units.

The reason for this is that the signal from your remote control is duplex, I.e. there are two parallel signals being transmitted at the same time. You can tell by taking the end off your remote, on the earlier digital units there are two I/R diodes and on the latest (silver) type there are (in fact) three.

Magic eyes (like Powermids) are not capable of handling (multi signal) remote sources, which is a real bummer because I was able (at one time) able to control my cable box from my bedroom and (therefore) view cable signals from a TV other than the main one in the lounge. Mind you (admittedly) I've only experienced this with the Pace and Scientific Atlanta units.

Not sure whether the V+ boxes are the same though.

Si thee
bw41101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:14   #5
stooster
Inactive

stooster is an unknown quantity at this point

wheni say magic eye...weasel's tv link is what i mean......wont work with my old cable box i currently have...pace...

so am thinking v+ in living room. old box in conservatory. and tv link to bedroom..

belting cheers......

one last thing.....can i buy a special remote to control the tv link or will one of the multi remote jobbies do the job.

cheers again...stu
stooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 23:33   #6
weasel
Inactive

weasel is an unknown quantity at this point

In fact it seems the TV Link should work with Pace 4001 and 4010 boxes, and you can buy a device called Red-Eye to convert the IrDA signal on the others – see www.redremote.co.uk. Obviously I can't vouch for this as I haven't used it!

Any remote that can control a V+ box directly should work over the TV link.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 21:10   #7
Grimpy
cf.addict

Grimpy is an unknown quantity at this point

Going to bump this thread can someone confirm that this will work with a v+box:

tvLINK (F101248-BK)

http://www.tvlink.co.uk/acatalog/Copy_of_tvLINK.html
Grimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 16:30   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

No, that'll only work with Sky boxes. You need a self-powered one for cable. The F100791-BL looks like it might work, or there are plenty of alternatives available elsewhere.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 18:04   #9
clw1305

Unhappy Re: can you use a magic eye with a v+ box

I have bought a magic eye and im not very techical pls can someone help me set it up?
cheers claire