Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best idea going - call to ban e-cigarettes indoors

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Best idea going - call to ban e-cigarettes indoors

Old 27-08-2014, 22:21   #31
RizzyKing

Re: Best idea going - call to ban e-cigarettes indoors

Not really Hugh such is the level of stupidity surrounding this debate at the minute I kid you not I had someone come up to me in town telling me to bin my ecig and go back to tobacco because "those electronic things are killers chap". Arthur like a lot of people joining in this are completely ignorant of what they are railing against and they are winning. Maybe people should go read some forums on the subject then make their mind up. Personally I'd smoked for over thirty years tried many times to give up without success not until I switched to ecigs did I kick tobacco yes I'm still an addict of nicotine but that's it. My morning cough has gone, my breathing is vastly better, blood pressure lower and lung capacity is increasing. I know many others that can say the same so sorry they do work and no one so far has had a bad reaction to mine including some people that hated tobacco cigarettes.
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2014, 22:27   #32
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I say two things. One l have not said a bad thing about people who want to smkoe the e cigarettes. Thats down to them.

And yes, bring back smoking in pubs, it will bring back the old boozer, and stop pubs shutting down. And stop this ritzy type wine bars that are growing.
You have some of the most amazing bars / pubs in the country within staggering distance or a short cab ride and you crave a smoke filled drinking pit.

Milton Jones can be seen having a couple pretty much down the road from you, and you want a 'boozer' instead.

Awesome.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 11:30   #33
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
(who sells rat droppings in bulk?)
I can probably sort you out.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 12:07   #34
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I can probably sort you out.
What's your best deal for 4 tons of the stuff?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 13:45   #35
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
And yes, bring back smoking in pubs, it will bring back the old boozer, and stop pubs shutting down. And stop this ritzy type wine bars that are growing.

Oh yes lets do that. When I go out (not often and generally with work colleagues) it's much more enjoyable for me to be somewhere that's smoke-free.

When I go on holiday and end up in bar / restaurant and people are smoking it's like we've gone back in time. Can't stand it - disgusting all round.
Old 28-08-2014, 13:52   #36
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I don't lile the smell of smoke full stop. I find a lot of smokers are ingnorant to everyone elses feelings too. if you dont like it f off kind of attitude. it gets me when you walk down the street and the person infront of you lights up and you get this bellow of smoke rammed down your lungs and they simply don't care or they all stand in the doorway so you can't get in and have to go through it all.

You can't have your car window open because the person infront has all their windows open and the stench of it comes floating over into your car. While some are considerate a lot simply don't care but if I came over and spat on you would you simply put up with it I don't think so.

Same with E cigs I work for the NHS and while there is a smoking ban in place I've seen patients/visitors in the canteen just puffing away on them and then you go for your break and like me sat there with 6 staff all puffing away on these things and while the vapour might not be bad for you the smell/taste of all them different flavours gave me a sore throat.

There has been a ban now on there use in the trust buildings. I agree that they should be banned along with smoking full stop.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 14:51   #37
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Not really Hugh such is the level of stupidity surrounding this debate at the minute I kid you not I had someone come up to me in town telling me to bin my ecig and go back to tobacco because "those electronic things are killers chap". Arthur like a lot of people joining in this are completely ignorant of what they are railing against and they are winning. Maybe people should go read some forums on the subject then make their mind up. Personally I'd smoked for over thirty years tried many times to give up without success not until I switched to ecigs did I kick tobacco yes I'm still an addict of nicotine but that's it. My morning cough has gone, my breathing is vastly better, blood pressure lower and lung capacity is increasing. I know many others that can say the same so sorry they do work and no one so far has had a bad reaction to mine including some people that hated tobacco cigarettes.
I have been using my E-Cig for over 12 months now and I have not touched a real cig in the entire time that I have been using it.

Quite frankly the smell of real cig's now just makes me want to throw up.

This whole debate on whether they should be banned or not is rediculous, and personally I don't care if they get banned from being used in public places or not since, I won't use it where you are not allowed to smoke anyway because I don't fancy running, the risk of being banned from somewhere or causing a issue.

The pub up the road from me allows them to be used inside and no one complains about people using them, but most people will still go outside because there are always going to be those who won't use one.

This just needs some common sense to be used, but as we have Goverments in power all through out the world who are not interested in the welfare of the people living in the countries, and are only interested in lining there back pockets you can guarentee that there will be no sensible investigation or legislation put in place regarding the use of E-Cig's.
Old 28-08-2014, 15:14   #38
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Regular cigarettes were banned indoors on workplace health and safety grounds, due to the persistence of harmful chemicals in the atmosphere even hours after the visible smoke had gone.

If a study shows that the same risk is presented by the use of e-cigs in indoor public spaces, then their use should be banned in exactly the same way. We had all the arguments over personal freedom a decade ago now. There is no point in re-hashing them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 00:09   #39
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
its not smoke its vapor with nicotine in it- i have tried it ,its no substitute for a stogie but probably a lot healthier ,i think the problem is the anti smoking mob thought they had won and then this comes along so they must ban it because its flashing two fingers in the face of the interfering busybodies who try to control every ones lives .
spot on papa smurf
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 15:01   #40
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Most pubs have a no smoking area. Not only that, do know how many pubs close down each week, due to stupid rules emplied by pathetic authorites. Who think they can control what we can do. Instead of leaving it up to the person cponcerned
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 20:10   #41
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Most pubs have a no smoking area.
Erm Arthur, all pubs have a no smoking area...it's called 'the pub'.

Quote:
Not only that, do know how many pubs close down each week, due to stupid rules emplied by pathetic authorites.
Nothing to do with the economy then?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 21:01   #42
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Pubs simply can't survive on drinking alone any more. Not with supermarkets selling beer and spirits so cheaply.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 13:36   #43
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

E-cigarette criticisms 'alarmist' say researchers

Quote:
Lead researcher Prof Peter Hajek said: "I think any responsible regulator proposing restricting regulation has to balance reducing risks with reducing potential benefits.

"In this case the risks are unlikely, some already proven not to exist, while the benefits are potentially enormous. It really could be a revolutionary intervention in public health if smokers switched from cigarettes to electronic cigarettes.

"So killing benefits, which are huge, for risks which are small is like asking people to stop using mobile phones and tablets, or restrict their use and further development, because of a one in 10 million chance that the battery might overheat in your device."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29061169
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 14:17   #44
RizzyKing

Most people involved in serious research of ecigs have pretty much all stated that any risks are smalll and dangers to those around ecig users are virtually non existent. Before someone picks up on the "virtually non existen" bear in mind that any risks there may be are far smaller then he risks of car exhausts and many other things people encounter on a daily basis. We really do need some sensible regulation in this country and the UK ecig indusry has put forward a very balanced and fair suggestion in terms of regulation.

Will all devices and batterys be safe of course not some people will always buy the cheapest they can and from time to time accidents will happen but no worse then the accidents of exploding batterys in torches or phones where people put low cost before even half decent standards. Potential benefits of ecigs cannot be ignored either in health terms or the economic terms of the UK ecig industry which enjoys a high level of trust from user's and quality.

As for the "kids will take this up" come on seriously how many years have we railed against teenage smoking and achieved very little teenagers are industrious little sods when hey want to be and always find a way to get what they want be it tobaccco or alcohol. If i had to choose between them puffing on an ecig or buying a pack of bensons or golden virginia i'd pick the ecig everytime at least it won't do massive damage whilst they are finding out it isn't for them as many teenagers do.

Just for once i'd like a reasoned approach to this on it's merits not the agenda's of anti groups or politicians making legislation that their friends or donators want. Time will tell but i am nervous about this because if they do bring in a ban on health grounds i'm going to go back to tobacco how screwed up is that.
Old 05-09-2014, 15:16   #45
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

I'll be stockpiling my supplies.
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote