Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 02-11-2016, 12:07   #871
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2016) Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Below is MediaBoy's original post with my comments in italics. MediaBoy's comments are from August and obviously the marketplace has changed since then.

TiVo A:
-1tb
-6 tuners
-wifi
-Allow streaming to one device
-Cost £99 with a £12p/m charge.
The 1Tb has 4K. I don't think there would be an extra £12pm charge as this is just the standard box.

TiVo B:
-2tb
-6 tuners
-Allow you to stream to 4 devices
-wifi
-Cost £199 with £15p/m charge.
I can't see VM selling this for £200, no one would buy it.

Information may change.
I agree with sky it is also £200 but if you add multi room it's £60 but for existing customers each box is £99, so for £99 with all the 4K on demand from sky living, cinema, sports and F1, why would we pay £199 for a box with no 4K material, not forgetting the programmes we can download to tablets will be limited, I'll stick with slow TiVo until the V6 is worth it

The 1tb would need to built into existing VIP as we pay extra current TiVo in bundle.

But if they was to say £199 per box I'd go sorry, wait on next price rise , they have no shortage and leave to sky

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

Why don't virgin get off there bits and tell us something

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Sky have no increase to package, no extra fee just £99 per box

Your Selection

Current monthly cost£112.75

Without offers £143.64

What you've added

New 12 month minimum subscriptions

Sky Q Multiscreen£12

New total monthly cost £112.75

New 12 month minimum subscriptions

One-off cost£198

Equipment No cost

Sky Q boxes, including the remotes supplied with them, and the Sky Q Hub are loaned to you by Sky at no cost and must be returned when the Sky service they are used with ends.

Checkout
Personalise your package further

But virgin are thinking in august of £200 and also monthly fee reayv

Last edited by Ddonald2016; 02-11-2016 at 12:02.
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2016, 12:20   #872
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

People get really angered on here don't they , who knows what's the prices will be however they'll have to be competitive with Sky so calm down.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:20   #873
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
So when is it coming well we still don't know,

How much will it cost we still don't know,

Can we get more than one we still don't know,

What does the software look like we still don't know

What 4K content that don't cost any extra on top of our subscription, we still don't know

Will you ever stop complaining.... we do know the answer to that one
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:21   #874
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
According to MB's latest posting there are definitely at least 2 box sizes.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...&postcount=201
That's from August.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:25   #875
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Will you ever stop complaining.... we do know the answer to that one
Looking at Ddonalds posting history, I'm starting to wonder if he is a Sky employee.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:29   #876
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
People get really angered on here don't they , who knows what's the prices will be however they'll have to be competitive with Sky so calm down.
Yes some cannot seem to contain themselves but alas that is this forum for you sometimes.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
Looking at Ddonalds posting history, I'm starting to wonder if he is a Sky employee.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:29   #877
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The amount or time he spends ranting on here I highly doubt that.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:34   #878
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hey god no I don't work for sky, I'm a virgin customer of 15 years
Old 02-11-2016, 19:03   #879
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
How do you work that out?

Existing customers already paying and new customers bring in extra revenue so it makes more sense to attract new customers
In business, customer retention is just as important as customer attraction and is much cheaper to achieve.

By this I mean that there are costs associated with attracting new customers that aren't present with keeping existing customers happy eg advertising, supplying equipment, staff costs/resources etc.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 19:38   #880
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Donald, are you howling at the moon again..................
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 22:48   #881
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

When this comes out, if I go through retentions... anybody think I have any kind of a chance on getting a deal to upgrade all 3 of my Tivo boxes?

Im certainly not wanting to pay £200 a box to upgrade 3 boxes... that's £600... beyond a joke.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 00:10   #882
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

This makes an interesting read:

https://techcrunch.com/2016/05/03/wh...-making-sense/

It says that ten years ago, TiVo was hardware play and now it's regarded as software play.

When TiVo made the hardware and put their software onto them, I bet they were excellent machines, but now they seem to licence their software to any old box.

I think that the problems with the VM TiVo, therefore, do not lie with the TiVo software itself, but the crappy box that VM have used to run it on.

Had TiVo made the boxes, things would be a whole lot different.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 00:21   #883
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
When this comes out, if I go through retentions... anybody think I have any kind of a chance on getting a deal to upgrade all 3 of my Tivo boxes?

Im certainly not wanting to pay £200 a box to upgrade 3 boxes... that's £600... beyond a joke.
Sadly the price is a mystery but I don't think they will give out three at start but these will be new at start with likely bugs, I'd keep one old TiVo the now
Old 03-11-2016, 08:54   #884
fenman35
cf.member

fenman35 is on a distinguished roadfenman35 is on a distinguished road

Well Sky Q still has many bugs including flicker and disappearing red buttons many months on
fenman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:12   #885
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

I think that the problems with the VM TiVo, therefore, do not lie with the TiVo software itself, but the crappy box that VM have used to run it on.

Had TiVo made the boxes, things would be a whole lot different.
I don't think Tivo ever manufactured the boxes themselves, they never were a hardware company. This was outsourced to companies like Philips and Thomson. It was just that Tivo sold subscriptions directly to consumers. Fine when cable companies had poor EPGs but this was an unviable business model when they caught up with Tivo's technology.
I don't think there's anything wrong with VM's manufacturers Samsung and Cisco. Just that like an old PC or phone, they are not powerful enough. I've seen YouView boxes run similarly slow and even hang on Demand 5.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman35 View Post
Well Sky Q still has many bugs including flicker and disappearing red buttons many months on
I think they rushed it after BT launched its 4K box but I think it was the right decision for Sky.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote