Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Fibre and VM BB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Fibre and VM BB

Old 18-09-2013, 09:45   #16
tizmeinnit

Re: Sky Fibre and VM BB

Ive given up on the idea btw lol lol
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2013, 15:03   #17
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Jeez, Adduxi - what you doing giving Qasi credit for his remarks?
LOL!! I know, I'm just too easy going .....
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 11:57   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don't see the point in your knocking Adduxi for his choice. It's negative and unhelpful.
I don't see the point in your knocking me for my choice. It's negative and unhelpful.

Quote:
BTW, he chose it for a prime purpose that a £10 router could not reliably handle.
But my point is it's something a £10 router could reliably handle, if not better.

Quote:
Indeed what reliable £10 Multi-WAN router is out there? I can afford to waste that to see if it does the job as you dsay it will.
Any router that runs OpenWRT or modern editions of DD-WRT. Prime example being the DIR-615. You can set it up with 50 WANs if you dare.

Start here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
In fairness though, not being an expert, I didn't know a £10 router could do Dual WAN. Everything I looked at was a tad more expensive.
See I don't tend to rely on companies marketing their own proprietary implementations of basic concepts at any price, particularly where I know all WANs of any type on non-rack routers are essentially software functions.

Hence I prefer to go for standard, open, tried and trusted implementations. In this case, anything that runs Linux can support dual-WAN (or any number of WANs). Linux software has long been an industry standard for network-heavy and complex tasks - anywhere that needs powerful, reliable, and flexible routing of any kind will inevitably run Linux. Hence, any router that runs an open version of Linux will allow you to implement any industry-standard WAN setup available to any other Linux router.

Buying one with it pre-equipped is just paying a large markup for someone else to install free software on it for you and stick their label on it.

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Quote:
Jeez, Adduxi - what you doing giving Qasi credit for his remarks?
Who else are you supposed to give credit to for my remarks? My mother?!

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
So I could bond two superhubs for a tenner? How, what, where?
DIR-615.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dd-wrt+multi+wan
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=openwrt+multi+wan
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=linux+multi+wan
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 14:48   #19
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Qasi,

Nice information, albeit after I've made my purchase

In reality I doubt if I would have managed to get all this stuff working, hence the 'buy off the shelf'.
Maybe someday I'll get an old 615 and tinker, having said that I do have a RT-16 doing nothing ...... Hmmm I wonder .......
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 14:55   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yes I admit it's not easy or user friendly - *but* some companies have actually shipped off-the-shelf routers with these open source operating systems installed (they weren't too popular, not unlike the Dell laptops with factory installed Ubuntu linux).

But in my previous job one of my main duties was to manage a pile of open-source Linux servers and enterprise routers so for me it's second nature

Hell, everything from the Superhub to top-end Cisco and Juniper chassis run some variation of Linux.
Old 25-09-2013, 23:16   #21
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

While the OpenWRT software is brilliant and can do a ton of things, it is still limited by the hardware it runs on. A 615 could do all those WANS but it's not powerful enough in reality if there is heavy usage. It's not easy for the average consumer to choose a router, yet alone find out how powerful the are underneath.

Talking of CPU power....does anyone know what the max speed of a 615 is, if it is running OpenVPN software and all the traffic going through the tunnel? Another example of the CPU being the limiting factor but could still be useful
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 07:18   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

If you use the hardware accelerated NAT it does about 800Mbps, or rather 5% CPU usage while maxing out a 100Mbps port.

If you don't use hardware acceleration it can handle about 160Mbps in software depending on the software used.
Old 26-09-2013, 10:32   #23
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

The hardware is made for NAT but was thinking about the 615 doing the grunt of the OpenVPN work rather than just passing through the data from another device.

I ran a VPN server on the Raspberry Pi and throughput was terrible because of the strain it put on the Cpu. Putting it on a Synology NAS (with floating point) was better but the CPU was still the limiting factor. Don't expect an old bit of hardware like the 615 to be able to do much better when it comes to running OpenVPN. Pushing data through unaltered is another story though.
Old 27-09-2013, 01:31   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

No, you're right there. Hardware accelerated NAT will accelerate... well... NAT, and not VPN. Software VPN, last I checked, ran at about 60-80Mbps.

Of course, you could bond two of them using a third, upstream DIR-615 and split the load :P
Old 27-09-2013, 10:36   #25
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Cheers, that has just solved a problem for a friend

Load splitting for those who have way too man 615's than they should do :lol:
Old 27-09-2013, 14:54   #26
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

What are you insinuating?!

(P.S. My collection's grown about 3x since then >_>)