Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V+ search problems & queries.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

V+ search problems & queries.

Old 24-03-2014, 16:08   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
V+ search problems & queries.

Whilst searching for things on the V+, one sometimes receives some very bizzare results. Is this because it searches eg the synopsis as well as just the programme title? I always assumed that it only searched the programme title.

Also, some programmes that do exist don't show up in a search!

Why aren't radio programmes searchable?

Thanks.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2014, 21:18   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: V+ search problems & queries.

Yes, it does include the synopses, but it puts the title matches first (doesn't it?)

Aside from radio, which programmes are missing?

Possibly radio is not included as you can't record it on the SA V+?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 11:10   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Yes, it does include the synopses, but it puts the title matches first (doesn't it?)

Aside from radio, which programmes are missing?

Possibly radio is not included as you can't record it on the SA V+?
Maybe that is the reason for radio programmes being excluded. I can't record the programmes and there is no on demand available either. It would still be useful to be able to search for programmes though, such as when looking for a repeat on Radio 4.

I search by pressing 'Home' and then '5' and off the top of my head, some programmes that don't show up in a search are:

Shop Secrets: Tricks of the Trade (it exists at 2.05am on 28/3/14 on C4). I also saw an advert the other day advertising the new series of Bates Motel on Wednesday on Universal. A search returns nothing (unless this advert was erroneous).

I'll let you know if/when I come across any more
Old 25-03-2014, 12:20   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Maybe that is the reason for radio programmes being excluded. I can't record the programmes and there is no on demand available either. It would still be useful to be able to search for programmes though, such as when looking for a repeat on Radio 4.

I search by pressing 'Home' and then '5' and off the top of my head, some programmes that don't show up in a search are:

Shop Secrets: Tricks of the Trade (it exists at 2.05am on 28/3/14 on C4). I also saw an advert the other day advertising the new series of Bates Motel on Wednesday on Universal. A search returns nothing (unless this advert was erroneous).

I'll let you know if/when I come across any more
One of the disadvantages of continuing to use old technology, Richard. There are no such problems on TIVO.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 17:39   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
One of the disadvantages of continuing to use old technology, Richard. There are no such problems on TIVO.
I'm still in two minds as to whether to get a TiVo or pull out of pay TV altogether.
Old 25-03-2014, 18:37   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm still in two minds as to whether to get a TiVo or pull out of pay TV altogether.
Well it has to be worth it to you as a proposition. It depends what your TV viewing habits are, what you hanker after and how much you can afford.

If I only had access to broadcast TV, I don't think I would watch very much at all.

With TIVO's capability, I really look forward to my evenings and weekends when I am at home.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 14:09   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well it has to be worth it to you as a proposition. It depends what your TV viewing habits are, what you hanker after and how much you can afford.

If I only had access to broadcast TV, I don't think I would watch very much at all.

With TIVO's capability, I really look forward to my evenings and weekends when I am at home.
Yes, it does seem to be the best PVR currently on the market.

Spiderplant: I've just found another one. Basic Instinct 2 is on Film 4 at 00.50am on Saturday, but doesn't show up in a search.
Old 26-03-2014, 20:34   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Spiderplant: I've just found another one. Basic Instinct 2 is on Film 4 at 00.50am on Saturday, but doesn't show up in a search.
Hmm, I see what you mean. (It's actually at 00:50 on Friday, BTW)
Old 28-03-2014, 17:42   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Hmm, I see what you mean. (It's actually at 00:50 on Friday, BTW)
ooops, sorry about that! I've managed to find that Bates Motel starts this coming Wednesday at 9pm, so was an error by Universal as opposed to the V+.

There isn't a series link for it though, should there be as it's the first of a new series?
Old 28-03-2014, 20:48   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
There isn't a series link for it though, should there be as it's the first of a new series?
Yes. Send an email to TivoGuideErrors@virginmedia.co.uk and they should fix it. Make it clear that it's the V+ guide that is wrong, not TiVo.
Old 28-03-2014, 23:12   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes. Send an email to TivoGuideErrors@virginmedia.co.uk and they should fix it. Make it clear that it's the V+ guide that is wrong, not TiVo.
Thanks. Are they the same people to contact about the EPG synopsis being truncated?
Old 29-03-2014, 02:27   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks. Are they the same people to contact about the EPG synopsis being truncated?
That's deliberate. As the number of channels has increased the synopses have had to be shortened to work around memory limitations in some of the older boxes.
Old 29-03-2014, 12:54   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That's deliberate. As the number of channels has increased the synopses have had to be shortened to work around memory limitations in some of the older boxes.
Ahhh right, I won't bother mentioning it then. I did an internet search about this and found a TiVo user complaining about it on the VM Community Forum. After many staff replies and promises, she still didn't receive an answer, so thanks for finally clearing this up for me
Old 10-04-2014, 22:09   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

The search facility on the V+ has since deteriorated badly.

When doing searches, it is returning the first showing of programmes and the +1 only. Also, sometimes it now omits the SD versions and shows the HD version only, which doesn't make any sense for SD/HD simulcast channels.

For example, on Monday it only returned the first showing of 'The Gadget Show' on Monday evening, when it is repeated throught the week.

At 9pm tonight there is a film on Movies 24 called 'Taked For Ransom'. A search showed that it was only on tonight on the main channel and the +1. A look through the schedules shows that this is incorrect as it is also being shown this Friday evening and on Saturday afternoon at 3pm. Similarly, 'Running Riot: Britains Teen Crims' is said to be on Channel 5 this evening at 10pm only, but I have seen a repeat showing at on the EPG at 3.35 Sunday morning.

Is this happening to others as well as Spiderplant and myself?

Which department should be contacted about this?

Thanks.

Edit: Just noticed that 'Gibralter: Britain In The Sun' is on Channel 5 at 7pm on 15 April 2014, yet a search (done by pressing 'Home' and then '5') shows nothing at all! Not sure if it has any repeat showings, but knowing Channel 5, it probably has
Old 12-04-2014, 17:25   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I'll try the Community Forum, the increased traffic there may provide a response from somebody with the answers to my questions