Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What is this picture?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

People taking the moral highground or thinkin there better than others

Old 25-08-2009, 12:07   #1
bjorkiii

Services: 20 meg
People taking the moral highground or thinkin there better than others

People who use Newsgroups rather than torrents just because they pay a £10 or abouts a month think there above suspicion when surely all there doing is downloading quicker more illegal downloads than the torrent users who want it illegaly also. I do hope the new laws come down on these £ paying illegal downloaders really fast. Also people who pick on bad grammar posting posters it must be magical to be harry potter like in your rambling posts. I,m sure whats posted is meant but oh no theres a missing@''''"" i cannot understand it is this poster a martian never mind the point his trying to put across his commars are all wrong lets pick on that.
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2009, 12:14   #2
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: People taking the moral highground or thinkin there better than others

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorkiii View Post
People who use Newsgroups rather than torrents just because they pay a £10 or abouts a month think there above suspicion when surely all there doing is downloading quicker more illegal downloads than the torrent users who want it illegaly also. I do hope the new laws come down on these £ paying illegal downloaders really fast. Also people who pick on bad grammar posting posters it must be magical to be harry potter like in your rambling posts. I,m sure whats posted is meant but oh no theres a missing@''''"" i cannot understand it is this poster a martian never mind the point his trying to put across his commars are all wrong lets pick on that.

I'd like to know just what point IN PARTICULAR this thread is about.
Old 25-08-2009, 12:20   #3
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I'd like to know just what point IN PARTICULAR this thread is about.
I think the OP is having a rant?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 12:20   #4
bjorkiii

Right its people posting on here there downloading so many gb's a month same people posting ooh you should use this thing its only £10 a month but because there paying £10 a month there fine not illegaly downloading stuff of course , what i'm trying to say is people who use newsgroups think there beyond laws off course the people who use them for legal thingmajigs are fine and dandy but i would say theres a lot more use them for films music applications e.g but because there paying £10 or so they shouldn't be prosecuted
Old 25-08-2009, 12:24   #5
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Well, people using newsgroups (usually) don't upload, so they aren't distributing copyrighted works, whereas those using Torrents are.
Old 25-08-2009, 12:26   #6
bjorkiii

Are they not though recieving things that in all respect should be legally paying for? rather than being above the law and paying newsgroups £10 a month and thieving them Surely they newsgroup people must be able to vet what things are placed on there thingys if its illegal or not the laws of all this seem extremely bonkers and vague ?
Old 25-08-2009, 12:31   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

As already said, newsgroup people tend NOT to upload and it's the uploading that is the main problem. where torrents is based on both.

It does though (without going too far off-topic) bring into question a recent news report about counterfeit goods where France and Italy prosecute those buying the goods as well as those selling the goods.. So how far do you go in law and is it better to stop the buyer or the seller (analogy obviously slightly different in the world of uploads & downloading)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 12:39   #8
bjorkiii

So by leeching for £10 a month its all ok ? somethings wrong somewere surely . Am i wrong to think that more counterfeit music film applications etc are made through newsgroups rather than torrents but its ok there not sharing there just taking.
Old 25-08-2009, 12:43   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

No-one has said it's OK, the ONLY points recently made is that newsgroups give better speeds than torrent and that it's harder for the BPI/Software houses to catch a usenet user

If you know of anyone that has said it's OK to leech for £10 then please do two things, quote them here and also point then towards Astrawebs $15 a month deal
Old 25-08-2009, 12:47   #10
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I'm too good to post in this kind of topic, it's beneath me to be honest.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 12:48   #11
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Also people who pick on bad grammar posting posters it must be magical to be harry potter like in your rambling posts. I,m sure whats posted is meant but oh no theres a missing@''''"" i cannot understand it is this poster a martian never mind the point his trying to put across his commars are all wrong lets pick on that.
Have you ever considered how hard it is for the rest of us to understand when people post with really bad grammar and spelling? There's no real excuse for it. Spell-checkers are available on FF and IE.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 12:54   #12
bjorkiii

Russ no i don't believe it is hard for you to understand what i'm trying to say , surely your brains are not on such a higher plain that incorrect grammar causes major trouble with your cerebral understanding i do not believe you can not cannot see what im trying to say. Sometimes its best to type now, rather than type correctly, all of the verves gone out of it then , it really does make me fume when people say well how am i supposed to reply when your spellchecker has gone beserk. ooh look at all me commars here there everywere
Old 25-08-2009, 13:00   #13
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Russ no i don't believe it is hard for you to understand what i'm trying to say , surely your brains are not on such a higher plain that incorrect grammar causes major trouble with your cerebral understanding i do not believe you can not cannot see what im trying to say. Sometimes its best to type now, rather than type correctly, all of the verves gone out of it then , it really does make me fume when people say well how am i supposed to reply when your spellchecker has gone beserk. ooh look at all me commars here there everywere
Wake-up call then - yes it IS often hard for us to understand what people are saying with poor grammar. I'm not singling you out by the way, there are lots of people who do it. As an admin of this site I have to pay particular attention to what people are posting and it's not easy sometimes.

I'm not judging you btw, I'm not saying it makes you a lesser person. Hell I sometimes make mistakes with words as I often compose a sentence as I would in Welsh - if I've got Welsh tv or radio on in the background then it's more apparent. But that's where spell-checkers come in to it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 13:00   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It's usually better to spell words correctly. Incorrect spelling can lead to misunderstanding. Misunderstanding can (and does) lead to arguments.

I don't consider myself to be on a higher plain to anyone (I do not believe anyone is superior to anyone else), but it takes no time to ensure your words are spelled correctly (indeed, Opera has a built in spell checker that does it as you type), and it can save an awful lot of arguments.

It also helps if you break your post up into sentences and paragraphs, as doing that can make posts (particularly long ones) easier to read.

This isn't a dig at anyone in particular, but is (I think) good advice. Using good grammar (and I know mine isn't good), good spelling and good formatting takes almost no time and can make things a lot easier for other people.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 13:02   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

VBulletin also directly supports iSpell for IE users (you'll see the ispell icon at the top right of the edit box but you will need to install ispell itself which is a free download)