Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2016) Vol 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Leaving Virgin Media's TV and fixed line services

Old 21-12-2016, 11:02   #1
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold
Leaving Virgin Media's TV and fixed line services

Just a bit of advice please?

I'm going to give notice on boxing day to terminate my TV and fixed line services. I aim to keep just the broadband service and don't need to be on the highest tier any longer so 50MB will be fine.

I haven't used the fixed line for over 2 years and we have already signed up and have Sky installed with the Box Sets package and have been rewarded with a FREE Xbox One S with a FIFA 17.

Got fed up with the price rises over the last year and stopped feeling like we were getting value for any longer.

Will I be able to sign up for the next year with the 50MB service for £18 per month?

Will I have to pay any activation fees?
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2016, 11:19   #2
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold
Re: Leaving Virgin Media's TV and fixed line services

That's what I did a few months back when they announced the latest price rise.

I asume you will be outside of your minimum term? There won't be any activation fees to pay, but you won't be eligible for the £18 broadband as that offer is for new customers only. You'll need to negotiate with them against the standard 50mb price of £32.25 per month.

If you can't agree a price you're happy with, a good strategy might be to give 30 days notice for all services and wait for a call back from the outbound retentions team as you'll likely be able to get a bigger discount from them. Just make sure your landline is plugged in though!

Last edited by Inactive Digital; 21-12-2016 at 11:23. Reason: Typos
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:31   #3
alexcopeland
Inactive

alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
That's what I did a few months back when they announced the latest price rise.

I asume you will be outside of your minimum term? There won't be any activation fees to pay, but you won't be eligible for the £18 broadband as that offer is for new customers only. You'll need to negotiate with them against the standard 50mb price of £32.25 per month.

If you can't agree a price you're happy with, a good strategy might be to give 30 days notice for all services and wait for a call back from the outbound retentions team as you'll likely be able to get a bigger discount from them. Just make sure your landline is plugged in though!
I'm out of contract as of 26th January 2017 hence the reason for giving notice on Boxing Day. Really sad that there were 3 price rises within a year.

I'm hoping as a long term customer of around 11 years they might wish to give me the basic broadband service for around £25 to keep me happy.
Old 21-12-2016, 12:01   #4
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland View Post
I'm out of contract as of 26th January 2017 hence the reason for giving notice on Boxing Day. Really sad that there were 3 price rises within a year.

I'm hoping as a long term customer of around 11 years they might wish to give me the basic broadband service for around £25 to keep me happy.
Loyalty counts for nothing, I'm afraid. It's the luck of the draw on the day - it depends who answers your call and how many credits they have left to offer customers.
Having said that, I managed to get that price. But if they know you want to keep the broadband, there's less of an incentive for them to offer discounts
Old 21-12-2016, 13:08   #5
alexcopeland
Inactive

Quote:
Loyalty counts for nothing, I'm afraid. It's the luck of the draw on the day - it depends who answers your call and how many credits they have left to offer customers.
Having said that, I managed to get that price. But if they know you want to keep the broadband, there's less of an incentive for them to offer discounts
I'll try and be nice and polite on the phone and keep my fingers tightly crossed.
Old 21-12-2016, 19:13   #6
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Why expect loyalty? Why pays less just because you are a customers of,say a few years?

It's cost to run, to upgrade and to bring new Tech in so there is a cost we must pay.

Why is there an expectation of paying less or constantly getting deals. If you can get a better deal then go for it, if you can't then leave and get the same from another provider, I.E price rises and paying more than new customers, it's all the same.
Old 21-12-2016, 20:25   #7
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
Why expect loyalty? Why pays less just because you are a customers of,say a few years?

It's cost to run, to upgrade and to bring new Tech in so there is a cost we must pay.

Why is there an expectation of paying less or constantly getting deals. If you can get a better deal then go for it, if you can't then leave and get the same from another provider, I.E price rises and paying more than new customers, it's all the same.
I think we're on the same page here... that's exactly what I did when I switched my TV and landline away, because Virgin couldn't compete on price. But I'm also of the opinion that I shouldn't pay £32 for something I know Virgin are happy to sell me for £25 per month. I'd much rather that extra £7 was in my pocket, rather than Mr Malone's.
Old 21-12-2016, 20:49   #8
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

What about this deal then, no line rental required!!!!! Up to 50Mb!!!

Fibre broadband only £231 for 1yr*
£18/MTH, £14.99 UPFRONT, NO LINE RENT NEEDED and this is from Virgin, saw it on the Martin Lewis site.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 20:58   #9
Glesga
Inactive

Glesga is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
What about this deal then, no line rental required!!!!! Up to 50Mb!!!

Fibre broadband only £231 for 1yr*
£18/MTH, £14.99 UPFRONT, NO LINE RENT NEEDED and this is from Virgin, saw it on the Martin Lewis site.
Thats a new customer offer. Only way this could work if he closes the lot down and get anyone else in the household to sign up for it.
Glesga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 21:06   #10
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glesga View Post
Thats a new customer offer. Only way this could work if he closes the lot down and get anyone else in the household to sign up for it.

Yeah i know that mate, but here we go again eh, loyal customers paying through the friggin nose as usual, this nonsense about having to take a landline is one big CON...............
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 21:22   #11
Glesga
Inactive

Glesga is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah i know that mate, but here we go again eh, loyal customers paying through the friggin nose as usual, this nonsense about having to take a landline is one big CON...............
I agree with you mate. But every customer goes through the process of paying the cheaper rate to full price. I personally love my VM service and think its worth every penny. Fair enough the Tivos a pile a ***** but my broadband is perfect and the service I receive is fantastic.

Virgin medias stayed loyal to me by providing a great service.
Glesga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 09:11   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glesga View Post
I agree with you mate. But every customer goes through the process of paying the cheaper rate to full price. I personally love my VM service and think its worth every penny. Fair enough the Tivos a pile a ***** but my broadband is perfect and the service I receive is fantastic.

Virgin medias stayed loyal to me by providing a great service.
Well, the V6 sorts out the problem with the Tivos, so one problem less!

Just a bit of work on the content now and we have a pretty good service, I would say.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 09:24   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes having a landline is a big con MM as that l can agree with you but sadly or shall l say wisely l have to have one in our home at all times because it can be a matter of life or death for some.

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, the V6 sorts out the problem with the Tivos, so one problem less!

Just a bit of work on the content now and we have a pretty good service, I would say.
Good grief can you please say that again OB as its unusually a rather different tone then what we have been hearing from you of late.
Old 22-12-2016, 09:40   #14
alexcopeland
Inactive

I'll keep you all updated next week and hope to avoid paying £32.25 for 50MB.
Old 22-12-2016, 12:18   #15
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes having a landline is a big con MM as that l can agree with you but sadly or shall l say wisely l have to have one in our home at all times because it can be a matter of life or death for some.

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

Good grief can you please say that again OB as its unusually a rather different tone then what we have been hearing from you of late.
I think what people are objecting to, Den, is the compulsory payment for a land line that some don't want to use at all.

I don't think I have said anything different with regard to the Tivo. My beefs have always been:

1. Slow performance of the Tivo - sorted with the V6

2. No Sky Atlantic - this could get sorted before much longer, one way or another.

3. Lack of streaming services - which may be sorted before long with the V6.

One down, two to go!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote