Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 16-09-2016, 23:08   #1606
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Genuine question, zero sass: would it be acceptable to anyone who is happy with Brexit for the UK to allow migrants from the EU on condition they were employed?
Fine by me. Obviously the jobs in question would be legitimate. Not simply 'cousin Ahmed' (or Bob/Ishmael/Gupta) saying that there was a job.
Edit: I voted for control of immigration, not zero immigration (actually, I voted for removal of EU control)
Advertisement
Old 17-09-2016, 08:59   #1607
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Full free market and financial passporting access, access to ERASMUS, EU research programmes, free movement for UK citizens within the EU come to mind immediately.

What's the fundamental objection to it if the terms are right?
It's just the EU with another name basically .

The single market is too restrictive to trade ,our economy relies far too much on the banks and other financial institutions so in my opinion we do not need or want the single market or financial passporting ,it's made the UK far too blinkered to the rest of the world and solely dependent on Brussels .So no ,in my opinion EEA membership is not an option we should be looking at and besides all of that one of the core principles of EEA membership is free movement of people ,this cannot be changed for one country or what is the point of the EU and EEA ?

Old 17-09-2016, 12:33   #1608
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
It's just the EU with another name basically .

The single market is too restrictive to trade ,our economy relies far too much on the banks and other financial institutions so in my opinion we do not need or want the single market or financial passporting ,it's made the UK far too blinkered to the rest of the world and solely dependent on Brussels .So no ,in my opinion EEA membership is not an option we should be looking at and besides all of that one of the core principles of EEA membership is free movement of people ,this cannot be changed for one country or what is the point of the EU and EEA ?
Being in the EEA in no way prevents the UK diversifying its economy however we are where we are and financial services represents ~12% of both GDP and tax receipts. Personally I don't fancy a massive recession in the name of not being too dependent on financial services. It will take decades to rebalance the economy without causing extreme pain and can be done in or out of the EEA. The UK made the decision to increase dependency on it. As far as being dependent on Brussels the UK has been steadily, even within the EU, trading more and more outside of the single market. Clearly not that much of a dependency if, even in the customs union, we were able to reduce it.

Think you're mistaking the single market for the EU's customs union. The EU's customs union certainly restricts trade, presents common external tariffs to outside trade and prevents member states making their own trade deals. EEA membership does not, we control our trade policy in every way.

The principle isn't free movement of people it's specifically free movement of workers and family members. No changing of this to suit one country or another.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyour...FTU_3.1.3.html

Quote:
One of the four freedoms enjoyed by EU citizens is the free movement of workers. This includes the rights of movement and residence for workers, the rights of entry and residence for family members, and the right to work in another Member State and be treated on an equal footing with nationals of that Member State. Restrictions apply in some countries for citizens of Member States that have recently acceded to the EU. The rules on access to social benefits are currently shaped primarily by the case law of the Court of Justice.

----

Any national of a Member State has the right to seek employment in another Member State in conformity with the relevant regulations applicable to national workers.
The EEA is a very long way from being within the EU. Check it out a bit more.

Last edited by Ignitionnet; 17-09-2016 at 12:37.
Old 17-09-2016, 13:37   #1609
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

The EEA is a very long way from being within the EU. Check it out a bit more.
I did and came up with this

Quote:
The European Economic Area (EEA) brings together the EU Member States and three of the EFTA States (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway). It was established by the EEA Agreement, an international agreement which enables these three EFTA States to participate fully in the Single Market. It covers the four freedoms, i.e. the free movement of goods, capital, services and persons, plus competition and state aid rules and horizontal areas related to the four freedoms (see point 4 for an overview of what is included in the EEA Agreement).
The objective of the EEA Agreement is to create a homogenous European Economic Area. All relevant EU legislation in the field of the Single Market is integrated into the EEA Agreement so that it applies throughout the whole of the EEA, ensuring uniform application of laws relating to the Single Market.
http://www.efta.int/eea/eea-agreemen...sic-features#1

Basically any member of the EEA has the same rights as full EU members ,we just voted against that so would anyone want to rejoin a club where anyone from the EU can move here and any trade agreement has to be cleared by Brussels and the other 27 remaining countries .Forget Europe it's a dying club

Old 17-09-2016, 13:45   #1610
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Basically any member of the EEA has the same rights as full EU members ,we just voted against that so would anyone want to rejoin a club where anyone from the EU can move here and any trade agreement has to be cleared by Brussels and the other 27 remaining countries .Forget Europe it's a dying club
Only those relating to the single market. You don't get the social chapter stuff.
Old 17-09-2016, 14:14   #1611
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Only those relating to the single market. You don't get the social chapter stuff.
we still have to abide by the core principles of the EU and 2 of those are the whole problem

Old 17-09-2016, 15:54   #1612
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Fine by me. Obviously the jobs in question would be legitimate. Not simply 'cousin Ahmed' (or Bob/Ishmael/Gupta) saying that there was a job.
Edit: I voted for control of immigration, not zero immigration (actually, I voted for removal of EU control)
Like a lot of other people I'm sure. What's wrong with wanting that I wonder? I bet there's not a single person here who'd be happy if their local council said that it'd be fine for any number of people to come and live in their street, village, town...

As it stands we have no control over EU migration and given the numbers involved that has to be worrying, especially at a time when the EU's future doesn't appear that rosy and far more people are clearly wanting to come here than go there.

Last edited by Osem; 17-09-2016 at 16:10.
Old 17-09-2016, 17:31   #1613
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Travel to Europe will cost me £0, as:

1. I don't have a passport, and won't pay the £70 or so to get one.

2. why go to Europe when there are better places to visit here.

I'll only get one if a job requires it and they pay for it.
Old 18-09-2016, 22:56   #1614
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

For those in the EEA no trade agreement has to be cleared by Brussels. Again you're confusing the Single Market with the customs union.

Whether it's a dying club or not it's still 40% of our exports, and access to its market is a big motivation for international companies to employ people here.

So you want to forget Europe and you think we should get rid of our financial services sector. I'm quite glad you aren't a politician

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Travel to Europe will cost me £0, as:

1. I don't have a passport, and won't pay the £70 or so to get one.

2. why go to Europe when there are better places to visit here.

I'll only get one if a job requires it and they pay for it.
Whatever floats your boat; I prefer to live in a bigger world

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

So it was really worthwhile having that referendum to get some harmony into the Conservative Party over the EU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...hard-brexit-c/
Old 22-09-2016, 14:33   #1615
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Just leaving this here as a reminder why it's so bizarre that there are Tories so horny over 'hard Brexit'.

Quote:
Can the UK just go ahead and trade under WTO terms as soon as it leaves the EU?

No. In practice, the UK would have to detach itself from the EU and regularise its position within the WTO before it could sign its own trade agreements, including with the EU. As Roberto Azevêdo, the WTO’s director-general, said recently, there is no precedent for a WTO member extricating itself from an economic union while inside the organisation. The process would not be easy and would likely take years before the UK’s WTO position was settled, not least because all other member states would have to agree.
Putting us at the mercy of such states as our #1 fan Argentina who may want a chat about the Falklands, or Spain, who may rather like the look of Gibraltar.

This is a pretty bizarre definition of taking back control - putting our economy at the mercy of a large part of the rest of the world.

Welcome to a globalised world of supra-national institutions and complex legal frameworks.
Old 22-09-2016, 15:28   #1616
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Just leaving this here as a reminder why it's so bizarre that there are Tories so horny over 'hard Brexit'.

Putting us at the mercy of such states as our #1 fan Argentina who may want a chat about the Falklands, or Spain, who may rather like the look of Gibraltar.

This is a pretty bizarre definition of taking back control - putting our economy at the mercy of a large part of the rest of the world.

Welcome to a globalised world of supra-national institutions and complex legal frameworks.
Maybe the best idea is not to go for a trade deal with the EU or use the WTO model.

If we simply left the EU and the single market, those EU countries like Germany who require a deal would be coming to us and would no doubt accelerate the organising of trade deals in order to sell their products.

In the interim before declaring Article 50 we could, as the government are doing now, have exploratory talks with interested potential trading partners.
This might speed-up the process of arranging a deal once we leave the EU.

Then again, now that Tony Blair is shutting down his commercial interests, perhaps he is preparing himself for a crack at the EU presidency and a possible reform of the EU that allows the UK to stay a member but on better terms.

At this point in time anything is possible, even flying pigs!! LOL!!
Old 22-09-2016, 16:08   #1617
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
Maybe the best idea is not to go for a trade deal with the EU or use the WTO model.

If we simply left the EU and the single market, those EU countries like Germany who require a deal would be coming to us and would no doubt accelerate the organising of trade deals in order to sell their products.
Excellent plan with a couple of minor flaws that come to mind initially:

1) EU countries can't make independent trade deals.
2) WTO members can't reasonably make trade deals with non-WTO states.

Think it might be worth your checking out what the WTO actually do and why no-one has suggested the UK not bother with the WTO.

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

I should mention on the less depressing side none of the obstacles are insurmountable, they will almost certainly just take a pretty long time.

In the interim we're at the mercy of the EU being kind enough to provide us transitional arrangements that won't have people who previously couldn't care less about politics protesting on the streets about democracy.
Old 22-09-2016, 16:11   #1618
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post

In the interim before declaring Article 50 we could, as the government are doing now, have exploratory talks with interested potential trading partners.
This might speed-up the process of arranging a deal once we leave the EU.

Then again, now that Tony Blair is shutting down his commercial interests, perhaps he is preparing himself for a crack at the EU presidency and a possible reform of the EU that allows the UK to stay a member but on better terms.

At this point in time anything is possible, even flying pigs!! LOL!!
Given his track record as Peace Envoy I reckon he'd be ideally suited to joining the ranks of delusional political failures running the EU and all the more reason for us to have autonomy from it.

Last edited by Osem; 22-09-2016 at 16:43.
Old 22-09-2016, 16:21   #1619
martyh

Quote:

[/COLOR]I should mention on the less depressing side none of the obstacles are insurmountable, they will almost certainly just take a pretty long time.

In the interim we're at the mercy of the EU being kind enough to provide us transitional arrangements that won't have people who previously couldn't care less about politics protesting on the streets about democracy.
My god man everytime you post you make it sound as if trading outside of the EU simply cannot be done ,i'm wondering how the vast majority of the world that exists outside of the EU actually manages on a day to day basis .I think your just scared to cut the apron strings that are the EU ,don't panic ,it will be fine ,we will manage just like all the other trading outside of the EU and EEA do

Old 22-09-2016, 16:36   #1620
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Excellent plan with a couple of minor flaws that come to mind initially:

1) EU countries can't make independent trade deals.
2) WTO members can't reasonably make trade deals with non-WTO states.

Think it might be worth your checking out what the WTO actually do and why no-one has suggested the UK not bother with the WTO.

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

I should mention on the less depressing side none of the obstacles are insurmountable, they will almost certainly just take a pretty long time.

I was thinking about deals post Brexit. Once we leave the EU we can trade with those who wish to trade with us as we are no longer EU members. I can't see Germany and others not wanting to trade.

If we have to go with WTO membership then fair enough but we can put the spadework in via informal talks to sketch our what kind of deal countries want with us and later go into formal talks a bit more prepared, hopefully cutting the time it takes to get a deal organised.

Not sure what kind of deal the EU will give us in the interim but I think we will have to give up the single market if we want to control immigration. Not sure too if France will continue the current deal re: immigration arrangements at Calais. Strange that the EU do not want to limit migration to their countries so long as those arriving can be routed on to the UK.

It will be interesting to see what happens if and when the UK invokes Article 50 and also what happens in the German and French elections as that may have a bearing on things.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Given his track record as Peace Envoy I reckon he'd be ideally suited to joining the ranks of political failures running the EU and all the more reason for us to have autonomy from it.
Well, you and I know that but does he?

Politics is a funny old game and we don't always get politicans who care about ordinary people running the country.
Closed Thread