Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 20 Meg what Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

20 Meg what Router

Old 26-04-2007, 23:23   #1
Profitteroles
Inactive

Profitteroles is an unknown quantity at this point
20 Meg what Router

Tonight i just got upgraded to 20 meg by Virgin Media the only problem is i only get this speed if im plugged straight into the cable modem, if im running through my Belkin router i get 7-9 meg so what i want to know is what router do i need to get the most out of my connection wired of wireless?
Profitteroles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2007, 23:54   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: 20 Meg what Router

Probably a Linksys WRT54GL, for the wired side of things this router is one of the best.

For the wireless side i don't know many routers that will kick a decent 20Mb stream out, sorry.

Also, could i ask whereabouts you are to see who's been upgraded now.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 01:13   #3
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

Most will support 20mb/s. Like Druchii said, a linksys would be good (from reviews). I personally use a netgear which does the job just fine too.
Sirpingalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 13:44   #4
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

What about when Virgin goes even faster sometime in the future. Will we get to a point where wireless just can't cope with the speed ?
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 13:46   #5
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12noon View Post
What about when Virgin goes even faster sometime in the future. Will we get to a point where wireless just can't cope with the speed ?
Well, the Pre-N routers and the Draft-N routers will manage with it thinking about it, they're meant to put out around 300mbps wirelessly, which in real world is probably only a third of that.

Still, plenty of speed thinking about it
Old 29-04-2007, 07:16   #6
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

I'm now using a Netgear WGR614v6 for my Xbox 360 but the result is that I often can't connect to friend's games as the ports are blocked - Frankly, I'm too lazy to bother forwarding them.

Don't get me wrong though, it's a good router if you arn't intending on going on Xbox Live and I believe it can cope with up-to 54mbit/s wirelessly (probably around 30 realisticaly).

---------- Post added at 07:07 ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 ----------

People very often also criticise the Belikin routers for Xbox live - I previously had one (ADSL) and it was great; it would never block ports, never cut me off servers, and most importantly, give me the best performance out of my service.

---------- Post added at 07:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 ----------

Apparently now, they're labling wireless networks as "unsafe". They claim they can pose a risk (especially) to young children's health and impede growth (from the article I read). Wether this is true or not though, I don't know.

Just thought I might as well point it out .
Sirpingalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 10:56   #7
Profitteroles
Inactive

Profitteroles is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Probably a Linksys WRT54GL, for the wired side of things this router is one of the best.

For the wireless side i don't know many routers that will kick a decent 20Mb stream out, sorry.

Also, could i ask whereabouts you are to see who's been upgraded now.

Im in Dartford and looks like it was only a quick trial as i'm back down to 10 now lol, I also took you word for it and bought a WRT54GL should arrive tomorrow, Only £39 from ebuyer
Profitteroles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 12:20   #8
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profitteroles View Post
Im in Dartford and looks like it was only a quick trial as i'm back down to 10 now lol, I also took you word for it and bought a WRT54GL should arrive tomorrow, Only £39 from ebuyer
Nice going, you should be up to 20 again in no time hopefully
Old 05-05-2007, 17:43   #9
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

Hello people i seem to have the same prob.
I have the Belkin router and i to am only getting 9MB tops from my VM internet.
It would be great i someone could tell me the best wireless router to get to get full speed (16-20MB).
Pedro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 17:53   #10
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

Watch out though, the really cheap routers only have a 10Mb WAN port. Any decent one though, such as the WRT54G, will have a 100Mb WAN port.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 21:26   #11
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

The Belkin router i am using has the same spec as the WRT54GL but still still only get around 9-10MB downstream when wireless.
As far as i have heard yesterday there aint a router that will push much more wirelessly.
Old 07-05-2007, 21:28   #12
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Unless it's a Pre-N router, and you have the correct card to connect to it with. 300mbps wirelessly, should just about handle 20Mb in reality (
With some spare)
Old 08-05-2007, 15:01   #13
Pedro1
Inactive

That's me sorted. Went back to a wired connection again to my Belkin router.
Ran the cable through the pipe chase to upstairs then along under the trim for the wooden floor.
Pure pro job if i do say so ma sell. Yipeeee back up to my 16MB from VM and can't even see a cable.
Old 16-05-2007, 23:17   #14
Wobbler
Inactive

Wobbler is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipewter View Post
Watch out though, the really cheap routers only have a 10Mb WAN port. Any decent one though, such as the WRT54G, will have a 100Mb WAN port.
Anyone know of a suitable 8-port wired router including a couple of Gigabit ports ?
(Presume any such piece of kit would include some intelligence for port forwarding management, and hardware firewall). Thanks
Wobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 12:23   #15
Wobbler
Inactive

Wobbler is an unknown quantity at this point

Have given up on that idea, for now I am just changing my old 10/100 hub to a 10/100/1000 switch, this will allow the PCs with Gigabit controllers to use high speed access.
I probably don't really need a router anyway, will continue using a second NIC in one of the PCs for the internet gateway. I needed some routing last year when I was doing some streaming from a laptop, there was no way to port forward the incoming http calls due to the limitations of the XP firewall. I am not streaming anymore so the problem has gone away.
I'm sure nobody is interested in this but thought I would throw it in to close off my post in the thread.
Wobbler is offline   Reply With Quote