Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 15-04-2011, 15:48   #1651
mkdr25
Inactive

mkdr25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
you go into the iPlayer environment as you would find on any device but it's quick and you don't feel that you are 'leaving' virgin.

I didn't know what the bit rate was for online iPlayer but 3.2 Mb is simply not good enough to fill a 40inch screen a DVD (i appraciate that it's a differant codec) averages 5Mb

Unfortunately this isn't something Virgin can fix except complain to the BBC
the codec upgrade from MPEG2 to H.264 will compensate in some way but this is why I'm concerned that while having access to more content, the quality will be degraded by sourcing from the net instead of a dedicated server. Like you say, nothing really can be done about this, would be nice if TIvo users still had access to existing BBC content on VM VOD so some HD content could still be streamed at best quality....

DF has said "its as good if not better" so all I can do is try it out next week.
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2011, 15:50   #1652
whoareyou
Inactive

Services: V+. Tivo (soon). BB XL.
whoareyou is on a distinguished roadwhoareyou is on a distinguished road

Finally got there. After 4 phone calls adding up to over 3hrs today!
2 phones calls suggested i lost my loyalty. So after a suggestion on here (thanks) i phoned through to retentions. Who not only (after speaking with his manager) confirmed i wouldnt lose my loyalty discount, but also took another £10 pm off.... amazing!
Then phoned sales to order the tivo. Spent an hour listening to a guy, who as nice as he was, went around and around.
Put me through to Manlia, who ordered the Tivo (i think) was difficult to understand to her!
Any way to confirm the order?!
Old 15-04-2011, 15:52   #1653
beardsley
Inactive

beardsley will become famous soon enoughbeardsley will become famous soon enoughbeardsley will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMediaPhil View Post
I got something like the 12th October 2010 on mine. Is it the date we pre-reg'd?
Strange I did it this morning and got 15 Apr 2011.
Old 15-04-2011, 15:54   #1654
mkdr25
Inactive

mkdr25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdr25 View Post
the codec upgrade from MPEG2 to H.264 will compensate in some way but this is why I'm concerned that while having access to more content, the quality will be degraded by sourcing from the net instead of a dedicated server. Like you say, nothing really can be done about this, would be nice if TIvo users still had access to existing BBC content on VM VOD so some HD content could still be streamed at best quality....

DF has said "its as good if not better" so all I can do is try it out next week.
Although saying that I suppose any drop in iplayer quality is qualified by Tivo suggestions and the ability to record much much more before the HDD gets too full. Every cloud.
Old 15-04-2011, 16:05   #1655
bamav
cf.addict

Services: VM L TV powered by TiVo, 30MB BB, Sky Sports, Phone L, Freeview.
bamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to all

Ordered my TiVo online Tuesday night, picked Saturday 23rd 1st choice, then Friday 29th 2nd choice. Just received confirmation email of my order and installation date of Tuesday 19th afternoon! Now that's fast and I certainly can't complain that I'm getting it sooner than I thought. Well worth take an afternoon, or maybe even a day off for!

I assume I should call VM before Tuesday to confirm everything is ok and by the sound of things I should also check I'm not losing my loyalty discount!

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgie View Post
Tried to order TiVO on the phone and upgrade BB at the same time. My logic was to try and avoid two engineers visits and two days off work. I was told that it is NOT POSSIBLE to order TiVO over the phone only the web form option? Is this right?
I upgraded BB from 10 > 30 and all they did was send a new modem/hub. No engineer required. TiVo being installed next Tuesday by an engineer.

If you do need an engineer install for maybe 50 or 100, perhaps someone over in the Internet forum could advise?

Don't understand why it couldn't be done in one visit though. When I had a brand new install for all 3 services it was all done in one visit, albeit with 2 engineers!
Old 15-04-2011, 16:11   #1656
friely
Inactive

Services: Finally a working Tivo
friely is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had a call about my install on Monday asking me would I like to keep my v+ I asked how much extra a month and he said NOTHING its called magic moments for the first few tivo customers you get to keep your box for free forever !!!
Old 15-04-2011, 16:14   #1657
bamav
cf.addict

Services: VM L TV powered by TiVo, 30MB BB, Sky Sports, Phone L, Freeview.
bamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to all

Keeping your "old" box for free would be great! Do you think they would just leave it beside the new box? Until I could at least catch up with my recordings or copy them to DVD for any keepers? We've nowhere to put the V+ box in our bedroom...
Old 15-04-2011, 16:16   #1658
Murk
Inactive

Murk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerstill View Post
Ask Digital Fanatic nicely and he will pm you.
Can't ask him cos he is not online and i can't pm as it won't allow me.
Old 15-04-2011, 16:26   #1659
SPEEDWAY
Inactive

Services: VIP50,Tivo,V+Hd,XXL-BB,42"Plasma,Onkyo TSR606,WDTV-live,LG N2R1 Nas
SPEEDWAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Never did get an e-mail, not a peep since - sorry Ron,we know your not Dean.

Whats the best time to phone to get a home based call centre?, apparently I'm hard enough to understand at the best of times.

Also has anyone got the Tivo connected via an AV-Amp, I have all my units fed from the amp to a convertor, as my plasma display is so old it only
has vga and component inputs. Its working and doesn't need replaced yet?

cheers
Old 15-04-2011, 16:27   #1660
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

Still not received an email, last one I received was "Did we say Dean?" On VIP50
Old 15-04-2011, 16:32   #1661
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

I've run into a bit of a snag (Back story - 8am here for install, had trouble getting the downstairs box to start going, but once it did it seemed to be all fine, got the upstairs box going straight away, but came up with a funny message saying not installed right so had to get a couple of new hits from the other end). He left everything looking good and closed it but said he would call back to ensure that it had all gone ok.

The installer called back 2 hours after leaving as he said he would to make sure everything was ok, and I thought it was. Downstairs TV working fine, I was actually programming the upstairs TV with the series links. I was doing that one as it was the box that gave a funny message and the one he thought might give us trouble later.

Anyway, I've been out to an app't and come back to start programming the series links into the downstairs box only to find it didn't actually finish its download so I've no EPG past Saturday night!!

I've set it connecting, it's now gone through preparing, connecting, getting info, disconnecting and is now loading info at 67% but still no further along on the EPG.

Does it take this long for the EPG to load up (I started it running about 1/2 an hour ago) or do I need to ring faults/installations and see if they can get him back round before he ends the day.

I know it takes several hours for everything, but the upstairs TV had everything in so quick and it was the one that was started last...

Ah well - I suppose even if there is a small glitch as long as we can watch live, we can just record everything upstairs till we get sorted.

Anyway, if someone in the know does have any thoughts on it let me know what you think I should do - ie just leave it ticking along or ring straight away.

edit to add:
in the Network Diagnostics I'm seeing Port Configuration Test Failed, so I'm off to call faults

2nd edit:
Of course as soon as I call the EPG starts loading but I still think there may be a problem... The HD channels are freezing and sound stuttering. I wonder if this failed port test has anything to do with it. Couldn't get hold of the installer so am going to wait half an hour or so and then ring faults and see if they can do a diagnostic.
Old 15-04-2011, 16:38   #1662
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Well looks like I've just recieved my sweetener. Chap phoned from sales confirming my TIVO install on Tuesday and said they would be upgrading my BB from 10mb to 20mb for free. I have multi room already.

Is there a 20mb service or did he mean 30mb?

Anyway nice one VM
Old 15-04-2011, 16:40   #1663
sidneysides
Inactive

sidneysides is an unknown quantity at this point

@savvychels

Just wondered what your first impressions are of the SD picture quality?
Old 15-04-2011, 16:43   #1664
Strangerstill
Inactive

Services: Vmedia TiVo ex NTL.
Strangerstill is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Can't ask him cos he is not online and i can't pm as it won't allow me.
You can ask him in a post like this on the forum and he will pm you when he sees it.
Old 15-04-2011, 16:44   #1665
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneysides View Post
@savvychels

Just wondered what your first impressions are of the SD picture quality?
I have a 32 inch Panasonic and a 20 inch Samsung. I don't see much difference on the Samsung (but I actually need to tweak a few TV settings now) and I am only seeing a difference on the Panasonic if I'm really looking for it. Others have said it's more noticable on the larger TV's
Closed Thread