Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 14-10-2011, 19:06   #5341
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You've gotta love message 57 , funniest thing I've ever heard a customer told

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../775195/page/6
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2011, 19:08   #5342
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You've gotta love message 57 , funniest thing I've ever heard a customer told

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../775195/page/6
that's not good.
Old 14-10-2011, 20:56   #5343
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:

Yes I'm afraid so. Before when setting up programmes to record there was a black button named Options - this has now gone

--John
No more options so now you have to use loads of clicks to change the number of episodes to keep and the keep till I delete option? It was perfect before set the options how you like per recording and now they have buried it those in a different screen.
Old 14-10-2011, 21:32   #5344
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
People objected because it didn't allow full control of global padding.

So....what's changed?

What do you think is gonna happen after the update? Clashes all over the place because TiVo uses 2 tuners to record back-to-back programmes on the same channel. The global padding 'fix' will just result in more clashes, more clipped content, and in some cases, missed recordings when there's a 4-way recording clash and the lowest priority programme isn't repeated.

It says a lot that the TiVo developers didn't even add the option to switch padding off, at a global level. Even Stateside Premiere users think its a crap solution and their begging TiVo not to introduce that 'fix' over there:
http://www.gizmolovers.com/2011/09/2...-tivos-leaked/
Have to agree and I wanted global padding but VM have managed to implement it is the worst way possible you can think of!

Just copy V+ with padding dropped on back to back recording was clearly too hard for Tivo.

On 'number of episodes' and 'keep until', can anybody with the update stae what the default settings are now for these? They should be "all episodes" and "until I delete" surely!
Old 14-10-2011, 22:29   #5345
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
No more options so now you have to use loads of clicks to change the number of episodes to keep and the keep till I delete option? It was perfect before set the options how you like per recording and now they have buried it those in a different screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
Have to agree and I wanted global padding but VM have managed to implement it is the worst way possible you can think of!

Just copy V+ with padding dropped on back to back recording was clearly too hard for Tivo.

On 'number of episodes' and 'keep until', can anybody with the update stae what the default settings are now for these? They should be "all episodes" and "until I delete" surely!

As I posted on the VM Tivo forums, I reckon they gave the padding upgrade bit to an apprentice --- on his first day.

There can be no other logical explanation for such a stupid 'upgrade'.

Maybe VM/Tivo should recruit some ex V+ software engineers?
Old 14-10-2011, 22:33   #5346
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

I think the ITV Red button will be avaliable on ITV1 and ITV1 HD on tivo for The X Factor voting.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...6#post53588816
People have started getting messages on Tivo about the ITV red button
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post3277.html
Old 14-10-2011, 22:43   #5347
Jameseh

Padding was perfect once you learnt to use it. Have they removed the old way entirely?

Old 14-10-2011, 23:09   #5348
sixfoottwo
Inactive

sixfoottwo is on a distinguished roadsixfoottwo is on a distinguished road

How can you tell when you have had the upgrade?
Old 14-10-2011, 23:15   #5349
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Padding was perfect once you learnt to use it. Have they removed the old way entirely?
No they havnt. The old way is there for when you need it. When you press record there are three options

1. record this episode
2. express series link--- default padding
3. explore this show-- select this option and the previous series link options are there.

regards

John.
Old 14-10-2011, 23:25   #5350
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
No they havnt. The old way is there for when you need it. When you press record there are three options

3. explore this show-- select this option and the previous series link options are there.

regards

John.
Cheers buddy as long as that is there I am happy. But I agree they should have let people have a option to set the following to how they want in a menu for defaults:

Number of episodes
How long to keep
Padding before
Padding after

Hopefully now that the padding is in they can make it configurable in a future update.

As I normally do 2 mins before and 5 after the express might actually work for me.
Old 14-10-2011, 23:36   #5351
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

regards

John.
But going the above way, is the padding default zero (as it is now) or has it got the new defaults?
Old 14-10-2011, 23:39   #5352
pythagoras
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
But going the above way, is the padding default zero (as it is now) or has it got the new defaults?
Express is new defaults, select explore you can put in what you want for that series.
Old 15-10-2011, 00:14   #5353
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Express is new defaults, select explore you can put in what you want for that series.
Thanks.

Is the default zero though? That is what I use and if it's not zero, it's two more settings to alter.

Why they couldn't make padding, number of shows and keep until, retain the last used settings, is beyond me.
Old 15-10-2011, 00:18   #5354
pythagoras
cf.addict

Quote:
Thanks.

Is the default zero though? That is what I use and if it's not zero, it's two more settings to alter.

Why they couldn't make padding, number of shows and keep until, retain the last used settings, is beyond me.
Couldn't tell you I have friends in Crawley and Cambridge, I don't have the update sent to them, to check. But I would imagine its set to the new defaults.

Regards

John
Old 15-10-2011, 08:09   #5355
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Thanks.

I would hope that there is an option to set your own default as everyone has different preferences.

Personally I always set 1 min before and 2 mins after and I find this covers most of my recordings. I have actually got used to the series link procedure and like the flexibility as there are two shows I record that always fall outside my default so I changed them accordingly.

Looking forward to the update though, hopefully they have addressed a very basic annoyance for me. Does anyone know if the start and finish time for each show appears at the top of the main EPG when highlighted? It does on the mini guide but not on the main EPG. Its so annoying having to guess the start time when a show doesn't start either on the hour or half hour
Closed Thread