Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 14-10-2011, 15:45   #5326
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHM View Post
Having received the update myself, I can confirm that nothing has been signed. The first I was aware of it was when it showed a screen saying that an hour long software update was taking place.

I have read elsewhere that a total of some 3000 TiVo users received the update in Cambridge and Crawley. Whether all users in the two areas got it I’m not sure, but the Cambridge head end serves most if not all the county. I’m not sure how large an area is served by Crawley. But the figure of some 3000 does seem to be on the low side, maybe there was an element of selection involved?

--John
How are you finding the update John?
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2011, 15:59   #5327
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Looks like TiVo is likely to win their patent legal battle against AT&T:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavi...t-patent-case/
Old 14-10-2011, 17:26   #5328
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Having received the update myself, I can confirm that nothing has been signed. The first I was aware of it was when it showed a screen saying that an hour long software update was taking place.

I have read elsewhere that a total of some 3000 TiVo users received the update in Cambridge and Crawley. Whether all users in the two areas got it I’m not sure, but the Cambridge head end serves most if not all the county. I’m not sure how large an area is served by Crawley. But the figure of some 3000 does seem to be on the low side, maybe there was an element of selection involved?

--John
Deleted, I'm tired! lol
Old 14-10-2011, 17:33   #5329
robtuk06
Inactive

robtuk06 is an unknown quantity at this point

He didn't say country though.

Is he still wrong regardless?
Old 14-10-2011, 17:36   #5330
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtuk06 View Post

my bad

It's been a long day
Old 14-10-2011, 17:37   #5331
JHM
Inactive

Services: VM VIP 100 package V+ PVR TiVo PVR 3View PVR
JHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
How are you finding the update John?
Generally good.

The time to pull up various menu screens is for me, some 2 to 3 times faster – not that they were awful before, just a little sluggish. Maybe they have enabled the second core?

In spite of not being on the official list of enhancements, multi-room streaming is supported. But only having one box I can’t comment how effective it is.

The improved up scaling has improved the PQ of SD very slightly – for me anyway.

Pressing stop when playing a recording now does what it says on the tin – namely it stops!

Global padding has been implemented but in a rather simplistic fashion. Now when setting up a series link or an individual programme to record, you now have two options. Record This Episode and Express Series Link, selecting either sets the programme(s) to record with padding of one minute before and four minutes after. If for whatever reason you wish to change the values, you can do so by selecting the programme in My Planned Recordings, and make your required changes. A little annoying but at least you are not stuck with their global padding values.

Overall I’m pleased with the update everything is noticeably perkier and slicker.

HTH

--John
Old 14-10-2011, 17:43   #5332
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Hold on so the current option is now gone and you have to go into my recordings to make changes?
Old 14-10-2011, 17:53   #5333
JHM
Inactive

Services: VM VIP 100 package V+ PVR TiVo PVR 3View PVR
JHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtuk06 View Post

No I continue to think I’m correct. But I’m sure that Digital Fanatic (when he regains his composure ) will correct me.

--John

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Hold on so the current option is now gone and you have to go into my recordings to make changes?
Yes I'm afraid so. Before when setting up programmes to record there was a black button named Options - this has now gone

--John
Old 14-10-2011, 18:03   #5334
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

Global padding has been implemented but in a rather simplistic fashion. Now when setting up a series link or an individual programme to record, you now have two options. Record This Episode and Express Series Link, selecting either sets the programme(s) to record with padding of one minute before and four minutes after. If for whatever reason you wish to change the values, you can do so by selecting the programme in My Planned Recordings, and make your required changes. A little annoying but at least you are not stuck with their global padding values.
If true, this is crazy. There should be an option for zero padding, without having to go into other menus.

V+ continues to seriously outclass Tivo re padding, even after the Tivo team have had the opportunity to make it as good as V+

The tivo team must either not use tivo, or are idiots; maybe both?.
Old 14-10-2011, 18:15   #5335
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

They can't win - people objected when it didn't have global padding, now some are objecting because it does.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 14-10-2011, 18:18   #5336
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
No I continue to think I’m correct. But I’m sure that Digital Fanatic (when he regains his composure ) will correct me.

--John

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Yes I'm afraid so. Before when setting up programmes to record there was a black button named Options - this has now gone

--John
So how do you add time to live events Do you have have to go in to the menus ?
Old 14-10-2011, 18:20   #5337
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

No, people want to be able to set their own default padding, not have it dictated to them based on what the most vocal customers want.
Old 14-10-2011, 18:24   #5338
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
They can't win - people objected when it didn't have global padding, now some are objecting because it does.....
Of course they can win. It's simple; add options. It wasn't too difficult for the V+ engineers! Maybe they are smarter?

Presumably, we will have to go into planned recordings to alter 'number of episodes' and 'keep until'?
Old 14-10-2011, 18:42   #5339
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
People objected because it didn't allow full control of global padding.

So....what's changed?

What do you think is gonna happen after the update? Clashes all over the place because TiVo uses 2 tuners to record back-to-back programmes on the same channel. The global padding 'fix' will just result in more clashes, more clipped content, and in some cases, missed recordings when there's a 4-way recording clash and the lowest priority programme isn't repeated.

It says a lot that the TiVo developers didn't even add the option to switch padding off, at a global level. Even Stateside Premiere users think its a crap solution and their begging TiVo not to introduce that 'fix' over there:
http://www.gizmolovers.com/2011/09/2...-tivos-leaked/

Quote:
I really hope that’s wrong, because that sounds like it would SUCK! The only way I’d find that acceptable is if it is soft padding, something that’s been requested for years in the US.
Old 14-10-2011, 18:51   #5340
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post3277.html
Closed Thread