Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 13-10-2011, 20:56   #5311
Phil-ntl
Body of a God (Buddha)!

Services: VVIP 500mb aka Ultimate Oomph (who the hell thought that name up??) 4X V6 Samsung UE55KU6470 4K TV
Phil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation era
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
Were talking about the same guide, right? As in the EPG? Pressing the Guide button on the remote? ...even old reviews have said that its instant.
Yep. The EPG was unbelievably slow. I had major lag probs with it and trying to access my recordings was not far off unusable at times. Funnily enough, a full reboot used to cure it for a few days and then it would gradually slow down again.

My thoughts were towards a possible memory leak but nothing was ever confirmed or ruled out.

Phil
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2011, 21:00   #5312
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Would i be better to get the 1Tb Tivo for Xmas ? I have heard the 500gb Tivo has had problems.
Old 13-10-2011, 21:03   #5313
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
Pressing the guide button and paging through the channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-ntl View Post
Yep. The EPG was unbelievably slow. I had major lag probs with it and trying to access my recordings was not far off unusable at times. Funnily enough, a full reboot used to cure it for a few days and then it would gradually slow down again.

My thoughts were towards a possible memory leak but nothing was ever confirmed or ruled out.

Phil
Its easily the fastest part of TiVo's user interface here, and by some distance. Maybe something is wrong with your box? ...check out this comments at the Help & Support Forums:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...on/td-p/771059
Quote:
The EPG is faster than the samsung V+
My comparison, My Shows takes around a good 5 to 7 seconds to appear, and I know its not just me because plenty of other people have posted on the Help & Support Forums about the slow speed for that. Ditto for the Premiere at TiVo Community.
Old 13-10-2011, 21:07   #5314
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
Would i be better to get the 1Tb Tivo for Xmas ? I have heard the 500gb Tivo has had problems.
Well l have both and can assure you they both work perfectly fine.
Old 13-10-2011, 21:08   #5315
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Some off topic posts have been removed.Please make sure to keep to the topic of Tivo alone.

Plus can I please remind EVERYONE that there is no NEED to QUOTE off topic posts.It means more work for the MODS.

Also if one particular person is annoying you please use the IGNORE function provided through the USER CP and works very well provided everyone stops quoting that particular person you will not have to put up with constant repeat postings.
Old 13-10-2011, 21:09   #5316
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well l have both and can assure you they both work perfectly fine.
Is the 1TB Tivo more future proof ? For example there will be lots more HD channels to record in years to come
Old 13-10-2011, 21:13   #5317
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
Is the 1TB Tivo more future proof ? For example there will be lots of HD channels in years to come
The only difference between the Tivo boxes is one has more storage space because everything else is the same on both boxes.
Old 13-10-2011, 21:15   #5318
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
Its easily the fastest part of TiVo's user interface here, and by some distance. Maybe something is wrong with your box?

My comparsion, My Shows takes around a good 5 to 7 seconds to appear, and I know its not just me because plenty of other people have posted on the Help & Support Forums about the slow speed for that.
I'm not saying it was that slow for me just that is could be a lot faster. If Yours is fast enough then that's great!
Old 13-10-2011, 21:19   #5319
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
As for the pilot rollout area's I dont know as they will be under different terms.

Phil
So, you think everyone in the trial areas was made to sign something? Very doubtful in my view as it seems that all the people in the area got it and people weren't even aware they were getting the upgrade.
Old 13-10-2011, 21:20   #5320
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The only difference between the Tivo boxes is one has more storage space because everything else is the same on both boxes.
His point was that hd recordings take up more space, so from that point of view the 1tb is more future proof than the 500gb. It's certainly the main reason I spent the extra money. However, if I spent the amount of time on the internet that hd boy does I wouldn't have time to watch anything so I'd probably not bother!
Old 13-10-2011, 21:23   #5321
Phil-ntl
Body of a God (Buddha)!

Services: VVIP 500mb aka Ultimate Oomph (who the hell thought that name up??) 4X V6 Samsung UE55KU6470 4K TV
Phil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation era
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat:35315269
Quote:
As for the pilot rollout area's I dont know as they will be under different terms.

Phil
So, you think everyone in the trial areas was made to sign something? Very doubtful in my view as it seems that all the people in the area got it and people weren't even aware they were getting the upgrade.
No, I said I didn't know.
Old 13-10-2011, 21:31   #5322
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
You said they would be under different terms.

No probs though; I'm just keen to know how the multiroom is implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-ntl

Phil
Old 13-10-2011, 21:39   #5323
Phil-ntl
Body of a God (Buddha)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat:35315274
Quote:
You said they would be under different terms.

No probs though; I'm just keen to know how the multiroom is implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-ntl

Phil
Meaning they might well not be subject to any form of agreement.

I wasn't aware at the time it had been pushed to the whole of the 2 areas "en bloc" as it were.

Phil
Old 13-10-2011, 23:11   #5324
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Can someone with an updated Tivo please post a video. Not just a quick 10 second demo, but something that shows channel changing and in and out of menus please?
Old 14-10-2011, 15:26   #5325
JHM
Inactive

Services: VM VIP 100 package V+ PVR TiVo PVR 3View PVR
JHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about themJHM has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Having received the update myself, I can confirm that nothing has been signed. The first I was aware of it was when it showed a screen saying that an hour long software update was taking place.

I have read elsewhere that a total of some 3000 TiVo users received the update in Cambridge and Crawley. Whether all users in the two areas got it I’m not sure, but the Cambridge head end serves most if not all the county. I’m not sure how large an area is served by Crawley. But the figure of some 3000 does seem to be on the low side, maybe there was an element of selection involved?

--John
Closed Thread