Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 10meg speed problems while using a router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Networking Problem

Old 06-02-2006, 20:12   #1
type-r
Inactive

type-r is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Networking Problem

hi,
Ive currently got a wireless network set up on my sisters PC, it consists of a blueyonder surfband modem connected to a netgear WGR614 router which then connects to the PC (a new ethernet card that i put in). The probem she is having is that every now and again she has to unplug the router (even when it wasnt plugged in in the first place) and plug it back in again to get on the net. Any ideas what this may be ? as its annoying to keep having to do this and now she is questioning my installation cant have that
type-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2006, 20:16   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Wireless Networking Problem

*thinking out loud*

dhcp lease expiring?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 20:24   #3
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
*thinking out loud*

dhcp lease expiring?
what I was thinking, too, it was the 'even when unplugged' that seems to be a clue, as logically, if the router is set to be the DHCP server & is unplugged when the lease request is sent, it will time out the connection ??
Old 06-02-2006, 20:30   #4
type-r
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
what I was thinking, too, it was the 'even when unplugged' that seems to be a clue, as logically, if the router is set to be the DHCP server & is unplugged when the lease request is sent, it will time out the connection ??
Could you expand on this , not familiar with this ?
Old 06-02-2006, 20:46   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-r
Quote:
Could you expand on this , not familiar with this ?
during the setup wizard the router will have probably been configured to be the 'DHCP server' for your sisters system

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DHCP.html

but a 'lease' of your address only lasts so long & has to be periodically 'renewed', so if the router is offline when the renewal transaction is supposed to occur, you will lose the IP you have been assigned and the connection will drop.

- i.e. try leaving the router & modem permanently plugged in & see if the problem goes away
Old 06-02-2006, 21:45   #6
type-r
Inactive

Quote:
during the setup wizard the router will have probably been configured to be the 'DHCP server' for your sisters system

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DHCP.html

but a 'lease' of your address only lasts so long & has to be periodically 'renewed', so if the router is offline when the renewal transaction is supposed to occur, you will lose the IP you have been assigned and the connection will drop.

- i.e. try leaving the router & modem permanently plugged in & see if the problem goes away

Cheers pal, will do

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Just text me sis. She says she forgot to unplug the router on sunday, said it was red hot and it still didnt connect?, told her to try it again tonight (make sure she can connect b4 logging off). But on a side note been into my netgear routers webpage and one of the options says Use Router as DHCP Server with a tick in the box. Forgive my ignorance but what would happen if i unticked this box?. Ive noticed that sometimes my connection on the laptop drops off and unplugging the router seems to fix it for me also
Old 06-02-2006, 21:52   #7
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star

you need to have the dhcp server in the router enabled to give ip addresses to your computers on your network (unless you use static ip addressing, which unless you know about dhcp/ ip etc you won't be).

do you have firewalls on the pcs that could be blocking the dhcp requests to the router?
Old 06-02-2006, 22:32   #8
type-r
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
you need to have the dhcp server in the router enabled to give ip addresses to your computers on your network (unless you use static ip addressing, which unless you know about dhcp/ ip etc you won't be).

do you have firewalls on the pcs that could be blocking the dhcp requests to the router?
I use F-Secure 2006, sis uses NOD32. Il have to check those.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:13   #9
type-r
Inactive

Getting really now. Sis has just text saying she is sick of unplugging and re-plugging, she has tried the "leave it on theory" but to no avail, she now wants me to dismantle it all (I have installed it so i can go on my laptop when i visit home). She needs it to do uni work and cant be bothered with the loss of connection every now and again, so now she wants me to just connect the router up when im actually home and not all the time.
And im not sure how to interrogate her NOD32 firewall/anti virus/Windows Firewall to see if its blocking the DHCP?

Help
Old 10-02-2006, 23:00   #10
Chris W
cf.mega poster

you can turn the firewall off for a while without worrying too much about the security issues- the NAT firewall in the router will provide adequate protection for testing purposes.