Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Server 2003 browsing issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Server 2003 browsing issue

Old 27-07-2010, 09:45   #1
mrm1
Un-Technically Minded

mrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant future
Server 2003 browsing issue

For some reason, my SBS 2003 can no longer browse network shares on other
pc's that have more than 8 files in the directory.

Example, the SBS can not browse \\XP\C, but will browse
\\XP\C\DRIVERS as there is only one file in the directory.

The server can browse \\XP\C\DRIVERS (or which ever directory)
while the directory is empty or contains no more than eight files, but
as soon as more files are added I get the message

"\\XP\c\drivers is not accessible. You might not have permission to
use this resource. Contact administrator of this server to find out if
you have permissions. The specified server cannot perform the requested
operation."

The browsing problem appears for any machine I try to browse from the
server. There appears to be no problem browsing from any other machine
on the network.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this problem
mrm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2010, 10:13   #2
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
Re: Server 2003 browsing issue

Iirc this is a limitation of 32 bit windows OS's (at least, certainly the older ones). You can map a drive to a few folders in and that will allow you to navigate deeper
Old 27-07-2010, 10:14   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I don't think this is the 128 character limit, sounds more like a security restriction if it's limiting the amount of files per folder..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 10:22   #4
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Maybe, but the fact navigation is ok from other machines would imply it's not security. That is of course dependant on whether the same account is being used. Is it not also 8 folders deep and/or 128 characters in Joliet?
Old 27-07-2010, 10:24   #5
mrm1
Un-Technically Minded

mrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant futuremrm1 has a brilliant future

Another piece of info, if I browse to an empty directory, while the directory is open, I can save as many files as I want (I have just copied 150 files in to the directory). As soon as I refresh the view or navigate away, I can no longer access the directory.
Old 27-07-2010, 10:26   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
Is it not also 8 folders deep and/or 128 characters in Joliet?
You are correct but that isn;t the problem here, he's not complaining about folder depths but folder content Read his post above this one
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 10:39   #7
mrm1
Un-Technically Minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
You are correct but that isn;t the problem here, he's not complaining about folder depths but folder content Read his post above this one
That is correct. I can browse deeper in to the directory structure if I type the full path of the next folder (as long as there are no more than 8 files in this folder as well)

e.g.

\\XP\C -can not browse, too many files
\\xp\c\drivers -only one file, so can browse
\\xp\c\drivers\folder1 -too many files, cant browse
\\xp\c\drivers\folder1\folder2 -only 2 files so can browse

Hope this make sence.
Old 27-07-2010, 10:48   #8
idi banashapan
step on my trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1 View Post
Another piece of info, if I browse to an empty directory, while the directory is open, I can save as many files as I want (I have just copied 150 files in to the directory). As soon as I refresh the view or navigate away, I can no longer access the directory.
But you say you can from other machines? Is that using the same credentials?
Old 27-07-2010, 10:55   #9
mrm1
Un-Technically Minded

Yes, other machines are fine, all using the same user name and password. Until recently every thing worked fine. I am not aware of any changes that have been made recently that may have caused this issue.
Old 27-07-2010, 11:26   #10
idi banashapan
step on my trip

Doesn't sound like permissions then. I'm assuming you are using domain credentials - is that right?
Old 27-07-2010, 12:29   #11
mrm1
Un-Technically Minded

The server is set up as a peer to peer network as opposed to a domain, is this what you mean?

The main problem for me with this issue was the server was creating files which were then saved on networked machines for various processing. I have got around the problem for the time being by letting the networked machines pull the files from the server instead.

I would still obviously like to know why the issue exists though.
Old 27-07-2010, 12:31   #12
idi banashapan
step on my trip

yes, so the account you use is always a local account on the client machines? and all the clients can get to all the other clients ok using the same local accounts?
Old 27-07-2010, 12:34   #13
mrm1
Un-Technically Minded

Yes, that is correct.
Old 27-07-2010, 12:41   #14
idi banashapan
step on my trip

are all the machines 32 bit? And are the areas set as shares?
Old 27-07-2010, 13:12   #15
mrm1
Un-Technically Minded

Yes and Yes. Some of the shares have been mapped as network drives on the server as well.