Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 14:57   #2056
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
But who cares, really, other than it being another stick to beat VM with ("you said there's be 80 and there isn't. There's 79!!!").

They can add all the channels they like but I'm willing to bet that all these moaners only ever watch stuff on no more than half-a-dozen channels; just like the rest of us!

Edited to add:
I'm sorry. My comment was regarding adding channels in general, rather than HD specifically. So let me add this...

I think it might be an idea for VM to replace the SD version of a given channel with the HD version, if available. Of course, the problem with that is that you can't view HD channels on a non-HDTV with anything except the Tivo. So maybe they can do that when everyone has a Tivo device; which is something they are working towards.
I am sure you can - But can not be bothered to try. Have one CRTV which we use to a sender to watch from our V+ box. I am sure it showed HD channels.
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2012, 15:01   #2057
windy
Inactive

Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light

Not coming soon to virgin media..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...n-anytime.html

How long do we have to wait for netflix etc..to come to tivo when sky do something they just get on with it.
Virgin well thats a different matter.
Old 08-03-2012, 15:17   #2058
Helix
cf.addict

Services: Full House Bundle with Tivo V6
Helix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post
What a joke have to wait till sept for ipad,what about us android users are we next jan?
Quite a joke considering their new slogan is now "Keep Up". They are the ones having to do all the keeping up at the moment and failing miserably. Sky have had iOS apps for years, I know they had some problems with the Android app but they got it out.
Old 08-03-2012, 15:25   #2059
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post

How long do we have to wait for netflix etc..to come to tivo when sky do something they just get on with it.
Who says they aren't negotiating a deal with Netflix on TiVo already?
Old 08-03-2012, 15:28   #2060
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I am sure you can - But can not be bothered to try. Have one CRTV which we use to a sender to watch from our V+ box. I am sure it showed HD channels.
My comment was based on my experience when I had the V+ for a while. It would not show HD channels on my old CRT through the SCART.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

Quote:
...when sky do something they just get on with it.
This service is replacing "Sky Box Office", so it was probably quite easy to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Indeed. Negotiations take a lot longer than just replacing one service with another using the same material.
Old 08-03-2012, 15:36   #2061
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I can confirm this. I have an old CRT, non-HD TV in the bedroom hooked up to my (not quite so old) V+ box via a scart lead. I can view HD channels although, of course, not in HD. With the superb V+ upscaler the picture often looks almost HD quality. That's probably the one remaining thing that stops me upgrading the V+ with a second TiVo.
Old 08-03-2012, 15:42   #2062
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I think it might be an idea for VM to replace the SD version of a given channel with the HD version, if available. Of course, the problem with that is that you can't view HD channels on a non-HDTV with anything except the Tivo. So maybe they can do that when everyone has a Tivo device; which is something they are working towards.
Problem is that the BBC and ITV don't have full regional opt outs on the HD versions of their Channels, so neither of those could be replaced

Not sure whether C4 or C5 have any differences in their HD versions, but may well do so for local advertising opportunities, which would also be an issue.
Old 08-03-2012, 15:53   #2063
windy
Inactive

Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
They are because its been said in a press release somewhere my point is its always takes virgin forever to make a deal with a provider where as sky seem to get it done and dusted and not tip toe over it.
Old 08-03-2012, 15:57   #2064
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:

We already have FilmFiex!

Does mean that Sky Box Office is shut down?

That will mean a lot of Sky EPG numbers are now avalible (700-761)

I think me might get it since VM cusomers might get already get it since we get Sky Box Office (which will be placed by Sky Shop)
Old 08-03-2012, 15:59   #2065
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
This service is replacing "Sky Box Office", so it was probably quite easy to do.
No it's not Sky will still have SBO for newer titles although it will be more limited than Sky store , how would customers with older STB's rent a movie , I'm sure over time Sky will faze out Sky Box office but not for a while in my opinion.
http://advanced-television.com/index...ou-go-options/
Old 08-03-2012, 16:11   #2066
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
I think me might get it since VM cusomers might get already get it since we get Sky Box Office (which will be placed by Sky Shop)
VM customers only get Box Office branded Live Events.

Even for Sky customers they'll still get those events via the 'normal' box office rather than IPTV
Old 08-03-2012, 16:26   #2067
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
VM customers only get Box Office branded Live Events.

Even for Sky customers they'll still get those events via the 'normal' box office rather than IPTV
So there is no chance of Sky Shop coming to VM?
Old 08-03-2012, 16:30   #2068
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
So there is no chance of Sky Shop coming to VM?
Can't see it doing so anytime soon, as why would Sky launch an advantage for their customers and then immediately offer it to a rival?
Old 08-03-2012, 16:37   #2069
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Can't see it doing so anytime soon, as why would Sky launch an advantage for their customers and then immediately offer it to a rival?
When did Sky launch it Box Office Service on Cable Networks (e.g. NTL)?
Old 08-03-2012, 16:38   #2070
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

And in fairness you already have film flex, picture box and now sky movies, so loads of ways to watch films on demand with Virgin.
Closed Thread