Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CF: Clickers Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CF: Clickers Corner

Old 23-04-2011, 10:40   #706
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: CF: Clickers Corner

That is really good. I'l have to give the moon a go now I have my tripod.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2011, 22:33   #707
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Just a few piccies from todays trip to White Post Farm in Newark

I'll post more once I've resized them...there are more "Farmy" type animals to come
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WPF_Lizard1.jpg (243.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg WPF_Lizard2.jpg (221.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg WPF_Lizard3.jpg (314.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg WPF_Lizard4.jpg (168.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WPF_Tortoise1.jpg (180.1 KB, 9 views)
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 22:40   #708
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Morning sun over Liverpool

Morning Sun Over The Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 00:05   #709
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Thanks. It's with a 70-200 f4L on a 60D, then 100% crop.
it's a cracking lens that for the money, tack sharp even at the full focal length. I also use one of those (non-is version) and the 100-400 f4-5.6L IS and tbh the 70-200 delivers sharper results and better colour overall. Been debating whether or not to get the 70-200 f2.8.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 21:33   #710
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
Just a few piccies from todays trip to White Post Farm in Newark

I'll post more once I've resized them...there are more "Farmy" type animals to come
lizard3 is quite a nice pic, but the others need a bit more contrast IMO

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post

Morning sun over Liverpool

Morning Sun Over The Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
very nice as usual masque
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 22:04   #711
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
lizard3 is quite a nice pic, but the others need a bit more contrast IMO
Thanks for the feedback...

The lighting was, quite frankly POOP. And I was lazy with my edits too
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 22:28   #712
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
I also use one of those (non-is version) and the 100-400 f4-5.6L IS and tbh the 70-200 delivers sharper results and better colour overall
I'm trying to decide between the 100-400 and the 400 prime, mainly for birding. The prime is reportedly sharper, and cheaper too, but how essential do you think the IS is at 400mm?

(Maybe I should rent one to try? Anyone got any experience or recommendations for lens rentals?)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 23:17   #713
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I'm trying to decide between the 100-400 and the 400 prime, mainly for birding. The prime is reportedly sharper, and cheaper too, but how essential do you think the IS is at 400mm?

(Maybe I should rent one to try? Anyone got any experience or recommendations for lens rentals?)
Prime will nearly always deliver better results than a super-zoom. The 100-400 is a decent lens in good light but when things aren't quite so good light wise and you stop down to the wider end of the apeture range full out at 400mm the sharpness tens to fall off quite noticeably. The IS does work very well on the 100-400 if you exploit it properly - you'll get up to 2 stops of latitude.

If you're tripod shooting then the IS is not an issue because you'd switch it off anyway. Is 400 enough for you? I would go for something a bit longer for birding; maybe a used 600mm prime or a spotting scope.
Old 25-04-2011, 00:25   #714
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Reading this made me think....When I took my photos at night on a tripod I left the IS on.
Will this have caused some problems as my photos were not coming out as crisp as I wanted?
For example even on long exposure, the starred lights effect were coming out more blurry.

Old 25-04-2011, 01:58   #715
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Reading this made me think....When I took my photos at night on a tripod I left the IS on.
Will this have caused some problems as my photos were not coming out as crisp as I wanted?
For example even on long exposure, the starred lights effect were coming out more blurry.
The IS system in Canon lenses can cause it's own vibration and induce shake when you're using a tripod so you would concievably notice a loss of sharpness. The 3rd generation IS system in the newer Canon L lenses has a tripod detection feature though. Not sure what Nikon are up to with theirs.
Old 25-04-2011, 11:22   #716
Halcyon
Hello !

Thanks,

I'l give it a go turning it off next time I go out.
So far I've just been putting it in aperture mode. I tried manual but was getting nowhere ending up with darker images. I need to go out and do a bit more experimenting I think.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:26   #717
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Over on give away of the day they are giving away AnyPic Image Resizer Pro a photo batch resizer\water marker and also adds basic borders.

As per, it needs to be downloaded & installed today, works fine & is quite quick.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/anyp...e-resizer-pro/
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:54   #718
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Yep - Canon recommend that IS is disabled when using a tripod.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:32   #719
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Over on give away of the day they are giving away AnyPic Image Resizer Pro a photo batch resizer\water marker and also adds basic borders.

As per, it needs to be downloaded & installed today, works fine & is quite quick.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/anyp...e-resizer-pro/
Nice one Al have downloaded & installed. Yet to work out how it works lol!
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 20:04   #720
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

I use a Nikon D90 myself and have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 but NOT the OS version.
The results are quite good.

Here are a few images taken with it.