Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Spotty Firefox.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Laptop Freezing

Old 18-04-2012, 12:33   #1
Paul24
Inactive

Paul24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Laptop Freezing

Hi everybody,

Would like some advice if anybody can give me an explanation on why my Packard Bell EasyNote TJ65 freeze's when watching any video E.G Sky Go, You Tube. It will sometimes freeze when just on FB or surfing the net in general.

Cheers Paul.
Paul24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2012, 13:01   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Laptop Freezing

Lots and lots of reasons are possible unfortunately.

Firstly, when the freeze occurs do you have anything else open, or is it just the one window? Multiple things open can mean RAM is being used by those other applications. It the hard disk showing as active during a freeze in which case the laptop might well be trying to load and unload stuff to favour your current app?

How full is your hard disk. As a rule of thumb you want 10% free to give the computer working space. Have you defragged recently (not applicable on SSDs).

Are you fully patched, not only windows but everything else. It may be that if you've been running your lappy for a couple of years the successive patches and other stuff you've added and deleted has started to overwrite that you've reached the point that a clean re-install could help?

What is your antivirus scanning and how frequently. Similarly is windows getting overeager at indexing everything?

Are the freezes simply being induced by delays from the internet connection not keeping up with your streaming or other surfing needs?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 13:09   #3
Paul24
Inactive

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your swift reply.I am running Norton 360 Premier edition and this says i do not not need to de frag at this moment. I have 198 GB of 286 free. I always update everything it asks me to. Hard drive light shows inactive when it freeze's.Sometimes it has the sound what ever i am watching sometimes without. And on some occasions yes i have other tabs open but usually when watching Sky Go, nothing else.
Old 18-04-2012, 13:15   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Is the laptop overheating?
Old 18-04-2012, 13:19   #5
Paul24
Inactive

Hi Dan,

How would that indicate?Its on a plastic surface with a gap underneath. I know sometimes the Wife puts it on the Sofa arm.
Old 18-04-2012, 13:25   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul24 View Post
Hi Dan,

How would that indicate?Its on a plastic surface with a gap underneath. I know sometimes the Wife puts it on the Sofa arm.
Does the laptop get hot while you use it? Are the fans working hard? Sometimes laptop problems can be caused by dust clogging up the fans. This can usually be solved by buying a can of 'compressed air' from the likes of Maplin's, and using that to clear out the vents. I'm not sure if it would/could cause the freezing you describe, but it's never a bad idea to clean the vents occasionally.
Old 18-04-2012, 13:40   #7
Paul24
Inactive

O.k will try that, guess will try anything it's so frustrating.