Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable in Isle of Dogs (Canary Wharf) E14

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable in Isle of Dogs (Canary Wharf) E14

Old 17-06-2009, 20:25   #31
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Re: Cable in Isle of Dogs (Canary Wharf) E14

Hi.Foreverwar, Have you heard the phrase ' don't tar me with the same brush' , you know that when a customer goes into a credit agreement, they will be checked out, and if ok they get credit, If not they don't get it, In a certain area of London, they have all been barred by an electrical company, what l am saying is that NOT everyone has a bad debt problem.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2009, 22:24   #32
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Name and shame, Arthur - name and shame.

I have worked with credit rating companies, and whilst living in different areas affects one's credit ratings, there are no "blanket bans" on certain areas.

If you are stating that a electrical goods supplier is doing that, I would be surprised, as most of the Currys/Comet/etc don't actually supply credit, they outsource that to a third-party, such as Lombard Finance, HFC or GE Credit, who are the ones who do the credit checking.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 20:19   #33
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Hi Foreverwar, l can assue you, that a company, you have mention did do that in a certain area of London.

My brother used to live in West London, and he actually went into this shop and as soon as he mentioned where he lived, the saleman told him, he wouldn't get the goods, as the area was a blacklist for credit.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 21:17   #34
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Name and shame, Arthur - otherwise, it's just hearsay. And as I stated earlier, the stores don't give credit, they outsource that to Consumer Finance Companies, who then check an individual's credit rating.

btw, West London is a biiiiig area - which part of West London, and how long ago was this?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 16:12   #35
JonathanCassar
Inactive

JonathanCassar is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting back on topic I did after a few weeks get a response from virgin media!

basically no plans to do anything in the short medium term but they are looking at feasibility (should know by the end of august) so I'll chase again then!!

Even BT seem to be upgrading FTTC in london everywhere but canary wharf!

See Here
JonathanCassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 18:33   #36
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanCassar View Post
Getting back on topic I did after a few weeks get a response from virgin media!

basically no plans to do anything in the short medium term but they are looking at feasibility (should know by the end of august) so I'll chase again then!!

Even BT seem to be upgrading FTTC in london everywhere but canary wharf!

See Here
The exchanges in London being done so far are a fraction of the total - there are 188 exchanges in the London area. I would check which exchange you are actually on though the Canary Wharf exchange itself serves a very small amount of premises, sure you aren't on Poplar?

Issue with the IoD lines is that they are homed at Poplar which can make them very long. Keep an eye out for Poplar having FTTC deployed, it's likely to be sooner rather than later as the Poplar exchange is totally and utterly full. There are next to no free DSL ports there so the relief provided by FTTC would be welcomed.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 10:10   #37
JonathanCassar
Inactive

Got an update from virgin, it seems FTTC may be here first at this rate!
Quote:
RE: Canary Wharf & Virgin Media service?
Hi Jonathan

Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately this area does not form part of our short to medium term plans for 2009-2010. If an upgrade becomes available in this area please be assured that we will let you know in advance.

My apologies once again and many thanks for your interest in our Services.
This was in relation to IOD as im on the poplar exchange
Old 27-01-2010, 22:23   #38
moneyballs2
Inactive

moneyballs2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanCassar View Post
Got an update from virgin, it seems FTTC may be here first at this rate!

This was in relation to IOD as im on the poplar exchange
Have you had any further response JonathanCassar?

I learnt today that BT are offering their new service 'BT Infinity' which is their fibre to the cabinet program, wasn't really any point me checking my postcode as it there would be no way it would be here.. I did though, and it isn't, and neither is BT broadband fullstop.

How can this company possibly get aware with not providing Broadband to the Isle of Dogs, so many people aching for decent broadband, a friend of mine that lives in the middle of nowhere has a better connection than I do...
moneyballs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 14:35   #39
JonathanCassar
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyballs2 View Post
Have you had any further response JonathanCassar?
Hi,
I asked David Campbell, (MD, Next Generation Access Openreach) given the proximity of the IOD to the Olympics if the network would be upgraded by 2012?

Response:

Quote:
I can tell you that Poplar is not currently on our announced roll-out plan. However, it is fair to say that Poplar is the sort of area we could see on the plan in future phases.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific than this at the moment but please keep an eye out for future announcements.
The Isle of Dogs is also not on virgins plans for roll-out
Virgin currently have no plans to enhance the limited analogue presence

Jonathan
Old 30-01-2010, 17:07   #40
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Thats really strange of Virgin Media/NTL as there are loads of businesses in this area using the telephone service.

In fact, NTL forced residential customers off. Yet they are still serving the rest of Tower Hamlets and Newham! Very strange!
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:36   #41
JonathanCassar
Inactive

Well I'd signup with anyone who could offer a fast service and doubt im alone given the demographics of E14
Old 12-03-2010, 16:24   #42
JonathanCassar
Inactive

Latest From Virgin - No love in 2010:

I note from your address that you are in an analogue service area. There are several pockets of legacy network areas where this is the case. In Q4 2009, Virgin Media began a programme of converting analogue areas to fully digitally serviceable areas. Bolton and Leicester were the first areas in late 2009 to go through this upgrade. The company has a programme of activity agreed for 2010 but unfortunately E14 and surrounding areas are not part of this year's build plans.

Jonathan
Old 16-03-2010, 20:10   #43
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Canary Wharf will be just Telephone and Analogue TV for now, and then when Analogue is switched off, will just carry BBC1,BBC2,ITV1,Channel 4 and Five until 2012.

I know that some businesses use the telephone service, I think it is daft not to upgrade this area.

Other areas which may never be upgraded:

Queens Park
Kilburn(Westminster part not Brent or Camden streets)
Lisson Grove
Marylebone
Mayfair
Pimlico
Victoria
Paddington
Great Portland Street/Portland place/Cleveland Street
Edgware Road
Piccadilly
Charing Cross Road/Strand

All above are in the Borough of Westminster.

Broadband is available to some of the above areas however you need to call 0800-952-0345 to find out what exactly is available. The Virgin Media website may well say you are not in a Cabled area and will offer Virgin National services instead.

This area is an ex-BT Cable franchise, Videotron and Cable and Wireless offered the Telephone service as a stand alone product this area however, I think it may now be available to pre-january 2000 Residential customers and Business customers only. As BT prohibited NTL offering this as part of the lease of its Cable network.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 08:41   #44
JonathanCassar
Inactive

Virgin have offered the national service but that uses ADSL.
My issue is that im so far from the exchange I need fibre to avoid signal degradation that occurs over copper. There are many others in the same boat so its annoying that no one even has plans to offer fibre in one of the most expensive areas in East London
Old 23-03-2010, 02:11   #45
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

....and just like Westminster, also one of the most sensitive areas in the country too. Even when I briefly worked at Encom, which was the original cableco which cabled up East London, CW was an iffy area. And there sure weren't any skyscrapers or Waitrose shops around then!

To be blunt, I don't think you're going to see any progress on this, if at all, for a long time. The reasons why the area can't be re-cabled just don't add up to me....

It's even more bizarre considering cw has probably more fibre optic cable per square metre than any other area in the UK. And nearby you have the London Teleport and other telco related installations too.

I would write to your MP on it, don't hold your breath waiting for BT or VM to do something. A kick is required here, me thinks.