Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How big are VM's infills?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Couldnt Install Last Time even though Duct access is ON my drive.

Old 02-08-2016, 15:17   #1
andymcq
Inactive

andymcq is an unknown quantity at this point
Couldnt Install Last Time even though Duct access is ON my drive.

Right I have added a picture. Possibly one for any Virgin staff (will be really grateful, I will donate cash to a charity of your choice if you can fix this LOL (serious))

All my neighbours have virgin, its an old Telewest install, and all the neighbours are connected to a duct box that is ON the edge of my driveway, I have to drive over it to leave.. Now there is only 8 inches between this duct box and my property.

When they went to install last year, they claimed they couldn't as there was no T on the wall, However my drive and the cable run to my house is over 45 metres...

Id anticipated this so I had already fitted cable tie mounting every 75 cm all the way way to my home, and pre drilled all the wall and left fishes in for them So to make it easy for them (I'm and Ex cat-5 installer so know what I'm doing) they were really great full but claimed there was no way they could cross the small 6 inch piece of tarmac..

See the attached picture, the red on the right shows where my neighbours cable enters, there is no blind t, it just rises out of the pavement. The blue is my super long driveway, where I need the cable to go. The red outlined soil is actually mine, and is part of the deeds, however Virgin wont touch it, they say it needs a t box and the 6 inch of tarmac excavating to get get to it and its no financially viable!!!

Hell I would even do the cable run to my house if someone would supply me the coax!!! I'm in Liverpool if it helps!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drive.jpg (499.1 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by andymcq; 02-08-2016 at 16:04. Reason: spelling
andymcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2016, 16:28   #2
andymcq
Inactive

Re: Couldnt Install Last Time even though Duct access is ON my drive.

Does anyone know if its possible for Virgin to do a pre install visit and supply the cable so I would run it to the property from the street boundary?

I don't want to goto the expense of acquiring some 65 mtrs of triple shielded hd100 but if I need to I will, so long as it guarantees an install... Cheers
Old 02-08-2016, 18:09   #3
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

yes virgin can do a survey just ask for one, and i would push for a survey anyway as the tee can go where you red line is... i have done many installs like yours with no issues
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 18:20   #4
andymcq
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
yes virgin can do a survey just ask for one, and i would push for a survey anyway as the tee can go where you red line is... i have done many installs like yours with no issues

Thanks for that DJ, does it matter that the wall over the red patch isnt mine, only the wall on the driveway is? also is it possible to acquire the HD100 so I can run it to the house? pretty sure its my driveway that really puts them off, and having a missing T gives them a perfect excuse..
Old 02-08-2016, 19:39   #5
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

You would want Siamese rg6, or maybe even rg11 with that run of drop cable. Where are you to? Could ask for a site survey and explain you want to run the cable yourself and they can arrange for some to be dropped to you
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 20:17   #6
andymcq
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
You would want Siamese rg6, or maybe even rg11 with that run of drop cable. Where are you to? Could ask for a site survey and explain you want to run the cable yourself and they can arrange for some to be dropped to you
Great I placed the order earlier, will they contact me or do I need to contact them to get the survey? and are they ok with me asking for the cable to self install? as overall this would be my preferred option anyway.
Old 02-08-2016, 20:22   #7
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

you would need to contact them and request a survey, who can then spray the footpath where the T needs to go, and get the call center to add a note to the job saying to bring rg11 siamese
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 14:50   #8
andymcq
Inactive

Totally and utterly frustrated already, spent 30 minutes on the phone to call centres, None of them can understand what a pre-installation survey is... Is there a more direct phone number to request a pre-instalation survey?

I take that back... 3rd time lucky, got a really helpful Scottish gentleman who has sent a pre install engineer out this friday!!

Last edited by andymcq; 03-08-2016 at 15:00.
Old 03-08-2016, 22:14   #9
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

PM me if you need any assistance with this andymcq

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote