Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 13:57   #1096
Heather10
Inactive

Heather10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWSPWS View Post
I had the letter saying 50Mb to 100Mb upgrade, but not until October 2012 to July 2013 - is that "Coming Soon" . Didn't mention anything about price rise though
There is a website where you can check when you are getting the free broadband upgrade - mine is meant to be anytime between now and the end of the month, but to be honest, don't think I will notice much difference - already on 50Mb so will get 100Mb. Don't do much downloading, which I think will be the only better thing.
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2012, 15:11   #1097
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
I had the letter saying 50Mb to 100Mb upgrade, but not until October 2012 to July 2013 - is that "Coming Soon" . Didn't mention anything about price rise though
The way I read it was that the October-July date is for the infrastructure upgrades for the 120Mb service and that the upgrade from 50-100Mb would happen sooner.
Old 05-02-2012, 15:50   #1098
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Do you watch any BBC tv shows you try getting a subscrption to sky for £145.50 a year.! The only reason they do it at that price is because evrybody contributes i love seeing shows or news without adverts stuffed in every 10 mins and the range of programmes is also there from politics to drama.

And whilst BBC is cutting down on live sport on its channels BBC radio five live is covering more sport on the radio airwaves for those that cannot afford satellite/cable subs.

I still stick with my point its very good value,even Mr Murdoch has said the BBC should do what it does best produce good quality shows in the past,i suppose thats to give him something to show on his satellite channels.

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

I do not want my taxes to subsidise rail travel as i do not use the railways!but i realise there is a greater good to be had so i do not mind chipping in,sky as is virgin media a private company so would not want to see my licence fee going to them.

Also the BBC is funding the digital switch over for those that cannot affrod it out of the licnece fee as i said its for the greater good.

Mind you sky already gets money from the BBC to carry their channels so in an indirect way sky is getting some of the licence fee.
Yes I do watch some BBC programs but not that many and as they aren`t made by the BBC other channels would have them if it wasn`t for the BBC. I`d rather my £145.50 was deducted from my sky subscription. Those that want to watch the BBC should pay for it themselves whilst those that don`t want it should be able to opt out of it. It`s all about freedom of choice in my opinion.Another thing, if the BBC wasn`t so stuborn and stuffy they`d take adverts to help pay for their services.

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I love the BBC - I think they produce a lot of quality television and radio, although I accept they also produce some rubbish, and I think iPlayer is excellent. I'm also minded to think that the fact that we all pay the licence fee means there is enough money in the pot to ensure that those who can't afford pay tv can still receive quality television.

I am slightly conflicted here, because in general I'm for competition and I couldn't support the licence fee model in most other industries, but in this area I think of my nan who is able to have a good quality television and radio service because its paid for by everybody and feel quite content to continue to pay the licence fee.
So f there was no licence fee are you saying there would be no free televison for those that can`t afford it? What about ITV then? They`re free to watch,aren`t they?
Old 05-02-2012, 16:18   #1099
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Yes I do watch some BBC programs but not that many and as they aren`t made by the BBC other channels would have them if it wasn`t for the BBC.
The BBC produce loads of programs that the other channels wouldn't bother with, try the religious programmes and other minority programmes

Very happy to have the BBC with no adverts, we pay extra for Sky and Sky Movies/Sports and yet they still have ads on top of our subscriptions
Old 05-02-2012, 17:15   #1100
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
So f there was no licence fee are you saying there would be no free televison for those that can`t afford it? What about ITV then? They`re free to watch,aren`t they?
"Quality" being the operative word in my post.
Old 05-02-2012, 18:12   #1101
andrewbrown
cf.addict

Services: TiVO, V+, XL TV, L Broadband and Superhub, M Phone
andrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to all

Quote:
Another thing, if the BBC wasn`t so stuborn and stuffy they`d take adverts to help pay for their services.
The BBC are not allowed to carry adverts, not they they choose not to take them.
Old 05-02-2012, 18:16   #1102
PWSPWS
Inactive

Services: VIP50 Tivo & 3 V+ (one old & 2 Samsungs)
PWSPWS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather10 View Post
There is a website where you can check when you are getting the free broadband upgrade - mine is meant to be anytime between now and the end of the month, but to be honest, don't think I will notice much difference - already on 50Mb so will get 100Mb. Don't do much downloading, which I think will be the only better thing.
I went to the link that came with the letter & they're the dates it says I should expect to get the upgrade - before would be nice of course!

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
The way I read it was that the October-July date is for the infrastructure upgrades for the 120Mb service and that the upgrade from 50-100Mb would happen sooner.
That's the date it says on our postcode for the upgrade - would be good before
Old 05-02-2012, 21:03   #1103
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

http://doublespeed.virginmedia.com/?...DoubleSpeeds_2
Gotta wait until October 2012 - July 2013!
Gotta be patient...gotta be patient...WAH!

P.S I think this is going off-topic slightly, sorry!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:14   #1104
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I barely watch any BBC shows and dont want to pay any TV license let alone have it increase.
So you want the BBC to become like ITV?

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Quote:
The thing is muppetman a lot of ex BBC shows appear on uk Gold,Watch, and Alibi all produced using the licence fee i would think many who watch satellite TV not on here but the general public, probably do not equate the licence fee to what they watch via satellite/cable their TV choice would be dimished if not for the licence fee.

I for one think the licence fee is worth every penny mate out of personal choice i prefer BBC news 24 to sky news as its less showbuisiness and celebrity based for one.
I would agree with you on that, it needs to rise and cover more areas to improve the BBC!

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Quote:
Yes it will take a brave person to challenge the BBC over this unfair `t.v tax`
The only way that would happen is if it become a subscription service!

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Quote:
Do you watch any BBC tv shows you try getting a subscrption to sky for £145.50 a year.! The only reason they do it at that price is because evrybody contributes i love seeing shows or news without adverts stuffed in every 10 mins and the range of programmes is also there from politics to drama.

And whilst BBC is cutting down on live sport on its channels BBC radio five live is covering more sport on the radio airwaves for those that cannot afford satellite/cable subs.

I still stick with my point its very good value,even Mr Murdoch has said the BBC should do what it does best produce good quality shows in the past,i suppose thats to give him something to show on his satellite channels.

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

I do not want my taxes to subsidise rail travel as i do not use the railways!but i realise there is a greater good to be had so i do not mind chipping in,sky as is virgin media a private company so would not want to see my licence fee going to them.

Also the BBC is funding the digital switch over for those that cannot affrod it out of the licnece fee as i said its for the greater good.

Mind you sky already gets money from the BBC to carry their channels so in an indirect way sky is getting some of the licence fee.
The BBC beats Sky any day, if the BBC has more money, we would no need to spend money on getting Sky, the sports and HBO/USA would be on the BBC!

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The BBC produce some of the best factual programming in the world. Some of their documentaries on history, science and life stories can't be beaten by anyone including Discovery and National Geographic.

For me personally this makes the BBC worth every penny. I like learning new things. I like complicated matters and issues to be explained to me in ways I can understand. For me the BBC, along with books and the internet, is a learning tool.

Some of their comedy in recent years however has been shocking, and their sport coverage is now pitiful.
They also produce great comedy, drama and news programmes!

They also have the best radio as well!

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I was also a big fan of Blackadder II and Blackadder Goes Forth. Not a massive fan of the first or third series, but have the lot on DVD. Now that I've started to really think about it, comedy on the BBC is the pits these days. Their quiz / comedy panel shows like QI and Mock The Week are not bad but their sitcoms and sketch shows suck. Did anyone watch the return of Jasper Carrott a few weeks back? Cringe-worthy.
QI and Mock The Week are great and do not forget Have I got News for You and Russell Howard!

---------- Post added at 10:03 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Den, are you a VM shareholder to come out with a comment like that.

Sky is a major broadcaster and has the channels to prove it and are not scared to try new things, bring out new channels when they are there. VM are in a time warp, there customers are crying out for Atlantic, and all VM say is that they are in talks.

With the Premier Sports channel, VM are probably worried about taking the channel as they want it to be a stand alone channel to see if they can make the profit and not the other way round.

VM have to take the battle to Sky with the channels to increase customers, as at the moment, look at this forum with customers ' what new channels and HD channels are coming to the system' what does VM say 'we are in talks'
They should launch a XXL TV pack for people prepaired to pay more for more HD channels, Sky Atlantic and Premier Sports!

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Do you have to pay the tv licence as a student and if you do how much extra are you willing to pay ?

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

Well i don't blame Sky for my arthritis
Yes I did! I pay what ever it takes so that I do not need to subscribe to Sky/VM for my TV service!

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Quote:
I'm not, hence the use of bunch of not all!

I'd bet if Sky had their channels & distribution businesses separated though, we'd be getting those channels!
I agree, sky should sell they TV/Broadband/Phone service to BT and keep their channels!

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstevenson View Post
I think both companies are to blame. When it comes to the sky channels we don't have it might be sky charging over the odds to block virgin or sky offering a fair price and virgin want it cheap but sadly we don't know.

But in relation to non sky channels when they can appear on freesat, freeview, cable in Ireland and sky then there is no excuses virgin need to get act together. The fact premier sports was offering it on xl and vurgin want it as stand alone is maybe an example of how they hold talks
I would agree with you on that!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:15   #1105
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Let's all pay the BBC £500 a year then Alan and have no pay TV alternatives

Brilliant idea
Old 06-02-2012, 10:15   #1106
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Rumours of tests on satellite for MTV HD have been about now for a week or two

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...&postcount=383
Will be be getting this channel?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:33   #1107
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Let's all pay the BBC £500 a year then Alan and have no pay TV alternatives

Brilliant idea
You know Alan he has such wonderful fantasy ideas in his mind master.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:42   #1108
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Having been away for a while, and just caught up with a deluge of posts.

In summary Coming Soon : = 0
Lots of rumours as usual, but nothing concrete.
No HD movies on demand
No Sky sports 3 & 4 HD,
No ITV HD additions
No Sky Atlantic
No red button
No multi-room
etc etc etc

So a new price increase in April - just when my contract expires
Move over Muppetman, looks like I'll have to dust down the old dish
Old 06-02-2012, 12:28   #1109
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
Having been away for a while, and just caught up with a deluge of posts.

In summary Coming Soon : = 0
Lots of rumours as usual, but nothing concrete.
The only concrete info is this:

Diva tv closes next Tuesday, Sky Living Loves closes the Tuesday after and Current TV closes in March.

Alibi HD launches sometime this year and BBC Two HD will launch this year replacing BBC HD channel.

Everything else is speculation.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:34   #1110
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
The only concrete info is this:

Diva tv closes next Tuesday, Sky Living Loves closes the Tuesday after and Current TV closes in March.

Alibi HD launches sometime this year and BBC Two HD will launch this year replacing BBC HD channel.

Everything else is speculation.
You forgot Sky Sports F1 coming in March.

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgie99 View Post
Been told by vm employee to watch this space with regard to hd channels.
Thanks for info.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Closed Thread