Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 21:36   #5686
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

As I've already said my parents have a TIVO install booked at the end of this month , they are not the most tech savvy people in the world and I've only had a brief play around with TIVO at a friends. Just a couple of questions so I can help them.

1. I understand the principal and have used the thumbs up thumbs down function but with suggestions will it automatically record things or is there an option to just list them to allow you to pick and choose.

2. Is there any particular methods for more reliable Wishlists ie Surname first etc.

3. What apps are currently available ? How do you use the photo app to stream your pictures ?

4. What's the crack with new only , all etc and something about 28 day rule ?

Sorry if these questions sound lame just trying to gain some knowledge to help the elderly when installed LOL.
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2011, 23:01   #5687
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Can I suggest a demo of TiVo at your local vm store if there is one close!

Old 04-11-2011, 00:31   #5688
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Phoned last saturday to Upgrade to 1TB Tivo and they will also move my existing Cisco V HD box to another room. Will only be paying £3.00 per month No £6.50 charge . Installation date was the 8th of December. Got it rescheduled on tuesday. Installation date is now the 16th of November. One day before the update starts to roll out.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:08   #5689
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
As I've already said my parents have a TIVO install booked at the end of this month , they are not the most tech savvy people in the world and I've only had a brief play around with TIVO at a friends. Just a couple of questions so I can help them.

1. I understand the principal and have used the thumbs up thumbs down function but with suggestions will it automatically record things or is there an option to just list them to allow you to pick and choose.

2. Is there any particular methods for more reliable Wishlists ie Surname first etc.

3. What apps are currently available ? How do you use the photo app to stream your pictures ?

4. What's the crack with new only , all etc and something about 28 day rule ?

Sorry if these questions sound lame just trying to gain some knowledge to help the elderly when installed LOL.
1. yes, you can do either, but the default is set to record your suggestions, and since these will automatically be deleted to make room for programmes you schedule to record, and will automatically not record in the event of a tuner clash, I'd be inclined to leave them. After a week or so you can start to think of the suggestions folder as another on demand channel - ie. somewhere to go when you've got nothing else to watch.

2. When you do a wishlist search its split in to different categories - Actors name, Directors name, category etc. My PILKINGTON, KARL - HD worked a treat, picking up Idiot Abroad when the new series started, but also the Ricky Gervais show, which was an added bonus. My FILMS, CRIME AND DRAMA picked up a load of rubbish and was quickly deleted, however. Make of the what you will, but I get the impression that the more specific you are the better.

3. If you have a Facebook, Flickr of Picassa account you can view the photos through the photo gallery app. Do your parents have any of these accounts? If so then its as simple as uploading photos to one of these and then logging into it through TiVo, which if they have an account they'll know how to do. I have Picassa and it works fine. There are several other apps but I only really look at IPlayer. Some of the others are aimed at selling you Sky Sports and Movies, and I don't have much time for YouTube. There is a scrolling business news channel availble through apps which, if thats your bag, is supposed to be pretty decent.

4. Right - my biggest problem with TiVo - Virgin have been so poor at explaining it that I've had to go elsewhere for my instructions. This is, as far as I can tell, basically a "TiVo Premiere with HD menus" - TiVo as its own website with product support including manuals to download, so its worth a look. However, if you set recordings to new it will only record shows which are new to the UK, according to the EPG data. New and reruns will pick up new shows, but also look for repeats of a new show in the event that it missed its chance to record it when new because of a tuner clash or the network was down etc. Everything is new, reruns if its missed a new show, and repeats of old series of the same show - ie. literally everything.

New and reruns is a pretty good default, although we started watching one programme at the beginning of the second series, so set an "everything" wish list and let it find all of the first series for us as well. Which it did. On another channel.

The 28 day rule means that it "shouldn't" record something thats already been on your planner within the last 28 days, so if you have something set up to record everything, it picks up series 2 episode 3, you watch it, and then within the month that programme is repeated, it won't record it and fill your planner with stuff it knows you've already watched.

Phew!

Enjoy!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35   #5690
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Thanks for the reply , handy info to know. I think they have a Flickr account so the photo app will be useful for them.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:16   #5691
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
1. yes, you can do either, but the default is set to record your suggestions, and since these will automatically be deleted to make room for programmes you schedule to record, and will automatically not record in the event of a tuner clash, I'd be inclined to leave them. After a week or so you can start to think of the suggestions folder as another on demand channel - ie. somewhere to go when you've got nothing else to watch.

2. When you do a wishlist search its split in to different categories - Actors name, Directors name, category etc. My PILKINGTON, KARL - HD worked a treat, picking up Idiot Abroad when the new series started, but also the Ricky Gervais show, which was an added bonus. My FILMS, CRIME AND DRAMA picked up a load of rubbish and was quickly deleted, however. Make of the what you will, but I get the impression that the more specific you are the better.

3. If you have a Facebook, Flickr of Picassa account you can view the photos through the photo gallery app. Do your parents have any of these accounts? If so then its as simple as uploading photos to one of these and then logging into it through TiVo, which if they have an account they'll know how to do. I have Picassa and it works fine. There are several other apps but I only really look at IPlayer. Some of the others are aimed at selling you Sky Sports and Movies, and I don't have much time for YouTube. There is a scrolling business news channel availble through apps which, if thats your bag, is supposed to be pretty decent.

4. Right - my biggest problem with TiVo - Virgin have been so poor at explaining it that I've had to go elsewhere for my instructions. This is, as far as I can tell, basically a "TiVo Premiere with HD menus" - TiVo as its own website with product support including manuals to download, so its worth a look. However, if you set recordings to new it will only record shows which are new to the UK, according to the EPG data. New and reruns will pick up new shows, but also look for repeats of a new show in the event that it missed its chance to record it when new because of a tuner clash or the network was down etc. Everything is new, reruns if its missed a new show, and repeats of old series of the same show - ie. literally everything.

New and reruns is a pretty good default, although we started watching one programme at the beginning of the second series, so set an "everything" wish list and let it find all of the first series for us as well. Which it did. On another channel.

The 28 day rule means that it "shouldn't" record something thats already been on your planner within the last 28 days, so if you have something set up to record everything, it picks up series 2 episode 3, you watch it, and then within the month that programme is repeated, it won't record it and fill your planner with stuff it knows you've already watched.

Phew!

Enjoy!!!
Well done Andy! That is a very comprehensive response. I'm sure a lot of folks will find it very useful.
Old 04-11-2011, 13:55   #5692
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
Phoned last saturday to Upgrade to 1TB Tivo and they will also move my existing Cisco V HD box to another room. Will only be paying £3.00 per month No £6.50 charge . Installation date was the 8th of December. Got it rescheduled on tuesday. Installation date is now the 16th of November. One day before the update starts to roll out.
Must be either really busy in your area of they have a lack of engineers as i got mine installed 2 days after ordering.
Old 04-11-2011, 14:07   #5693
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Must be either really busy in your area of they have a lack of engineers as i got mine installed 2 days after ordering.
I got a date around 3 weeks after ordering (install date tomorrow).

I did mine on the website, and have received no offer of relocation for my current V+ box (not too fussed about that though).
Old 04-11-2011, 15:45   #5694
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleb View Post
I got a date around 3 weeks after ordering (install date tomorrow).

I did mine on the website, and have received no offer of relocation for my current V+ box (not too fussed about that though).
Ditto my parents date is around 3 weeks from ordering , the woman told them some areas can't be guaranteed until mid December.
Old 04-11-2011, 16:17   #5695
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
We are able to push an app launch after the firmware update later this month, and before the change freeze. As we've said in our update announcement, the firmware update supports us to launch Red Button services as well as Spotify services. So we're working as hard as we can with our partners to get these great services out as soon as possible. Everything else will come in the new year.

Nick Ontiveros
TV Strategy, Digital Entertainment
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../828567/page/2
BBC red button app and Sky Sports red button app might still launch at the end of this month along with the Spotify App after the update.
What "everything else" means i don't know. Everything else could mean multiroom streaming which it don't think is activated yet. Any other guesses ?
Old 04-11-2011, 16:37   #5696
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../828567/page/2
BBC red button app and Sky Sports red button app might still launch at the end of this month along with the Spotify App ?
What "everything else" means i don't know. Everything else could mean multiroom streaming which it don't think is activated yet. Any other guesses ?
For what feels like the billionth time, the next TiVo update will have the ability to run red button stuff. However there is no actual date set for when any red button apps may appear. However when they do it will just be a small download for the app and will not need any kind of system or software update as that is part of the actual software download happening soon.
Old 04-11-2011, 16:38   #5697
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What "everything else" means i don't know.
Is this VM's take on Everything Everywhere
Old 04-11-2011, 16:54   #5698
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If you know then why do you keep asking the same thing over and over?
I meant to say the bbc red button app, sky sports red button app and spotify app could launch a few of days after the update.
Virgin Media have said they are working as hard as they can to get these great services out ASAP.
Quote:
So we're working as hard as we can with our partners to get these great services out as soon as possible
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ar/td-p/828567
Old 04-11-2011, 17:02   #5699
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I know. The way it was said looks like bbc red button app, sky sports red button app and spotify app will launch ASAP.
Old 04-11-2011, 17:04   #5700
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I meant to say the bbc red button app, sky sports red button app and spotify app could launch a few of days after the update.
Virgin Media have said they are working as hard as they can to get these great services out ASAP.
Quote:
So we're working as hard as we can with our partners to get these great services out as soon as possible
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ar/td-p/828567
Closed Thread