Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 20-09-2011, 23:03   #4981
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

My TV has HDMI dynamic range and hdmi 1 is set to auto. I only use one HDMI port on my TV I run my devices through my av receiver.
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2011, 23:15   #4982
richardc1983
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo XL & V+, 30MB Cable Broadband & Phone
richardc1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbateman2k5 View Post
I have an LG 42" LCD TV.

Is there an option to do the same for no overscan ?
On my LG I select 1:1 pixel instead of 16:9
Old 20-09-2011, 23:26   #4983
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
Sony 55" EX723 LED
OK, I just looked up the manual and it's not too helpful so try following the instructions in my previous post.
Old 20-09-2011, 23:31   #4984
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
OK, I just looked up the manual and it's not too helpful so try following the instructions in my previous post.
I found screen format is that it? It's set to Full, the options are Wide Zoom, Normal, Full, Zoom, Captions.
Old 20-09-2011, 23:34   #4985
richardc1983
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo XL & V+, 30MB Cable Broadband & Phone
richardc1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I found screen format is that it? It's set to Full, the options are Wide Zoom, Normal, Full, Zoom, Captions.
Possibly under settings where you set 4:3 / 16:9 etc
Old 20-09-2011, 23:35   #4986
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Probably 'Full'
Old 20-09-2011, 23:47   #4987
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
That's the zoom mode/aspect correction. The thing I'm talking about is buried in the settings menus.

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

OK, press the Home button and select 'Settings'

Select 'Display'

Select 'Screen'

Under 'Display Area' select 'Full Pixel'
Old 21-09-2011, 08:02   #4988
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

Just a thought but would it now pay for engineers to advise customers during the install to review TV settings after an installation to experiment with these features to get the best possible HD picture. Then maybe people will see more of the wow factor and not an overscanned lesser quality picture?
Old 21-09-2011, 08:40   #4989
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland View Post
Just a thought but would it now pay for engineers to advise customers during the install to review TV settings after an installation to experiment with these features to get the best possible HD picture. Then maybe people will see more of the wow factor and not an overscanned lesser quality picture?
An interesting thought, however what would be better would be for TV makers and/or sellers to tell customers that adjustments to their TV setup when first installed will almost certainly be needed.
Old 21-09-2011, 11:56   #4990
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

I'm surprised to see some of the update details leaked!
Old 21-09-2011, 12:28   #4991
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland View Post
Yeah, that and setting up the remote to work with the customers own TV or audio receiver, but as the engineer that installed mine explained, they're literally jumping from job to job trying to keep up with TiVo demand.

The main reason you need an engineer in the first place appears to be that when the TiVo is first connected it's not actually ready to use. I recall him setting up frequencies and a few other things on a dark blue technical screen with white text. Wish I'd paid a little more attention so I could do it myself when the household wants a couple more TiVos, assuming it doesn't require that palm pilot thing the engineers carry... looked like he was using the TiVo remote for most of it.

As for some TV manufacturers making it difficult to see calibration settings, well, shame on them. It should be easy to get to 1:1 pixel mode without going through menus... on my Samsung it's merely a case of pressing the aspect ratio button a few times until Screen Fit ◄▲▼► Move is shown.
Old 21-09-2011, 12:48   #4992
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
I'm surprised to see some of the update details leaked!
Yes it does seem very strange as I thought the the peeps on the test were bound by a NDA?
Old 21-09-2011, 13:17   #4993
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Yes it does seem very strange as I thought the the peeps on the test were bound by a NDA?
They are but, I guess some staff think they are above the law, lol.
Old 21-09-2011, 13:22   #4994
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
They are but, I guess some staff think they are above the law, lol.
They will not be if they get caught?
Old 21-09-2011, 13:26   #4995
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
They will not be if they get caught?
They could actually get fired over it!