Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 18-01-2013, 09:18   #3226
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Yes it is a surprise. Last time I had those schmitty DS power levels and poor SNR performance was terrible, including packet loss. It sort of flies in the face of the advice I dole out to others!
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Surprising how well it performs (essentially flawlessly) despite those stats... Essentially zero packet loss throughout the day aside from the two resyncs.
Believe it or not, those signal and power levels are within spec, depending on who you ask. It was never as clear cut as it should have been, they kept changing and adjusting the numbers. It was always confusing because in reality the CMTS you're on makes a huge difference to what's acceptable. It used to be "HEre are the ex-NTL levels, here are the ex-TW levels" but as time went on, the network became more and more mixed with Motorola and Cisco equipment all mingled together. It even changes with newer Cisco models, just to be awkward.
Basically I'm saying that the power levels are more of a guideline and the +/- 6 max is just what'll work best for everyone. The SNR can theoretically drop to as low as 20 and still work but once again, there's a lot more variables that are hard to check that makes it easier to just say 28+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven View Post
I will most definately be chasing up on these 2 tickets. Do wonder why they bother giving people this 'free' upgrade when the network has these kind of issues.

Found out today that Sky is going to be offering their unlimited package in my area within six months so that may end up being the answer.
I would honestly advise that you seriously consider the move to Sky, assuming I'm right about those ticket numbers. I guess Virgin just keeps extending the deadline to try and keep people happy, but I'd personally rather just hear that it'll be 6 or 12 months before a resolution than be told what's basically a lie. I actually wonder how they get away with it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2013, 12:05   #3227
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

funny to see VM continue upgrading lower utilisation areas ahead of heavy utilisation areas and they wonder why people like me and QTX are leaving.

My area is also back down to 4 downstream channels.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 13:37   #3228
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Basically I'm saying that the power levels are more of a guideline and the +/- 6 max is just what'll work best for everyone. The SNR can theoretically drop to as low as 20 and still work but once again, there's a lot more variables that are hard to check that makes it easier to just say 28+
Yes, indeed. Official spec puts power levels at -15 to +15 too, but many people see problems before this and some see no problems outside of these.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I would honestly advise that you seriously consider the move to Sky, assuming I'm right about those ticket numbers. I guess Virgin just keeps extending the deadline to try and keep people happy, but I'd personally rather just hear that it'll be 6 or 12 months before a resolution than be told what's basically a lie. I actually wonder how they get away with it.
Unfortunately my personal experience fairly well reflected the above, with the addition that in some cases they'd say the previous ticket was "fixed" as soon as a few people went away on holiday and the load went down... for a week
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 13:49   #3229
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

As Qasi says. The SNR strikes me as being the key value. I published in another post somewhere a table of low power levels and the necessary SNR with headroom published in the DOCSIS 3 specs. In practice, the SNR headroom needs to be DOCSIS value + 6dB to allow for impairments not attributable to the foreseen DOCSIS environment.

Yet mine currently seems to be running OK with one channel at 28 dB SNR & power at -11.5 dBmv (albeit some DS speed loss). When I had a VMNG 300, it was plain shocking when I had that brief spell at 28 dB SNR. Is my SH a good'n? LOL!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 14:33   #3230
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Superhubs do tend to report a higher SNR than VMNG300's on the same line.
Old 21-01-2013, 14:34   #3231
trikz
cf.member

trikz is on a distinguished roadtrikz is on a distinguished road

I'm on 100mb and have reported that i've received bad latency gaming in the evenings and they just fobbed me off saying their was healthy utilisation in my area, I really wonder what he meant by healthy?

trikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:42   #3232
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I think you've got more than a utilisation issue there, trikz. What's your modem stats?
Old 21-01-2013, 18:03   #3233
trikz
cf.member

here are my stats http://puu.sh/1QG0X
Old 21-01-2013, 18:48   #3234
Kushan

Hmm. Those stats, while not perfect, seem reasonable enough that you shouldn't have such terrible pings. There must be an area issue after all.
Old 21-01-2013, 20:35   #3235
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

8 downstreams with only 1 upstream? Yeah that's begging for problems...
Old 21-01-2013, 21:12   #3236
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Anyone with a clue know why my connection falls apart between 4pm and Midnight exactly every day, I mean, utilisation problems shouldn't be so well scheduled and there's nothing running on my end to swamp my connection during those times by the way.

"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises."
- Ken Clarke.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 21:13   #3237
trikz
cf.member

So you think another upstream could fix this? What's the sort of time-frame for them to do something like that?
Old 21-01-2013, 21:19   #3238
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

after your downstream upgrades are done. i waited around 5months after my download double ETA was met. others have had to wait less than that and some more. in short no one knows.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 21:35   #3239
Kushan

I don't think the number of downstreams versus the number of upstreams has any impact.
Old 21-01-2013, 22:28   #3240
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

load balancing Kushan?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote