Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | lost ip address

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin N1 Wireless Router

Old 31-03-2009, 14:43   #1
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Belkin N1 Wireless Router

I've seen the router in the link below on offer for £40 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it or the Belkin routers in general. I've heard some good things about it but as there are more techy minds here on CF who seem to have a fair knowledge of router's (My weakness atm) then I thought I'd ask opinions.

The router is this one - http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=273526
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2009, 14:48   #2
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Belkin N1 Wireless Router

I have heard of random drop outs with them, saying that i bought my mate one and it's been perfect since it was installed. All wifi equipment in his house instantly got a better signal by around 40%.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 14:55   #3
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

ice, people normally moan about belkin routers saying that they are crap for some reason (okay sometimes they do tend to have little niggles that are annoying)

Its just a case of knowing how to configure the things yourself and looking on the belkin website for firmware updates even beta ones. And another good thing with belkin is that all routers have a life time warranty on them.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 15:06   #4
icestar2
Inactive

icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Appreciate the replys guys. Thinking at £40 its probably worth the risk. Hopefully it will be a straight forward setup that works ok but if not am always happy to work on it providing the router itself works ok.
Old 31-03-2009, 15:28   #5
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Ice, its easy to setup, if you are on Virgin then its just reboot modem and away you go. for security settings you have to go to the router page itself. If you run into trouble I can try and help out
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 15:46   #6
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
Ice, its easy to setup, if you are on Virgin then its just reboot modem and away you go. for security settings you have to go to the router page itself. If you run into trouble I can try and help out
Thanks doc, Picking it up tomorrow and hopefully it will all run smoothly but if not I'll be sure to post here asking advice
Old 03-04-2009, 19:32   #7
icestar2
Inactive

Well finally got round to setting it up. The wired connection's were so easy it was unreal. so was the wireless at first. Routers have moved on a lot since I last used one either that or I just got lucky lol.

Only problem I did have is once I put my security on the router I have to use Mac control(Add the macs of the machines I want to have access) to otherwise I was always getting limited or no connectivity.

Still all is up and running now
Old 03-04-2009, 20:00   #8
badhairday
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
badhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about thembadhairday has a spectacular aura about them

I have had that router for about 8 months and it does what it says on the tin. Only it does not have QOS as I was told it had when I was researching it.
But it works fine and dandy 24/7 on Virgin. And Belkin have excellent customer support.
Njoy
badhairday is offline   Reply With Quote