Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 15-01-2013, 15:08   #3211
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
whats happened to thinkbroadband?
See:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...-is-blank.html
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bqm...-15th-jan.html
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2013, 15:14   #3212
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

thanks
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 22:23   #3213
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

I've never had a graph like this. I'm aware of there being an issue with the TBB site but those massive peaks don't seem normal.

This time last week.
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 22:44   #3214
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Good question. Notice the packet loss at about 11am as well? Plus the odd bit right where the graph "starts" at 8am. Same for my own ones.
Did their server go down, maybe?
The 11am packet loss is on my sky graph too, so safe to say that was TBB related.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 07:36   #3215
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

All fine now.
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 14:14   #3216
dwarven
Inactive

Services: 100mb
dwarven is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven View Post
Lovely And Im not even doing anything online, just checked emails whilst watching the NFL on SKY.

So much for my 60mb upgrade

Posted the above on VM forum as well, got a reply today :

Very sorry about this but you are affected by 2 issues:

F002308103 Low SNR + FEC errors, You might find that your Virgin Broadband, Virgin TV or TiVo® services are intermittent. Estimated fix date of 20/01/2013

F001996558 High upstream utilisation causing slow speeds, lagging etc. Estimated fix date of 23/01/2013

Interesting that when you phone up they never know about these things, its always down to a faulty superhub or the users pc
dwarven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 15:18   #3217
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven View Post
Posted the above on VM forum as well, got a reply today :

Very sorry about this but you are affected by 2 issues:

F002308103 Low SNR + FEC errors, You might find that your Virgin Broadband, Virgin TV or TiVo® services are intermittent. Estimated fix date of 20/01/2013

F001996558 High upstream utilisation causing slow speeds, lagging etc. Estimated fix date of 23/01/2013

Interesting that when you phone up they never know about these things, its always down to a faulty superhub or the users pc
I'd be tempted to see if those dates are met with a resolution, if not and they get put back, then make a serious decision about whether you want to wait it out.

When I used to be with VM a few years ago, I had the same 2 issues as yourself which in the end didnt get resolved in a timely manner (over 12 months), so I bailed and took my business elsewhere.

The low SNR issue for me would come and go making it very difficult for VM to trace the source.

Also the high upstream utilisation issue was sporadic and didn't justify the necessary work to upgrade the hardware.

Just bear these issues in mind, and in the end I ended up with a slow 5.6Mbps Download speed and a measly 0.9 mbps upload speed from Sky that ran far smoother than my 50 Mbps offering from Virgin.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 15:29   #3218
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
I'd be tempted to see if those dates are met with a resolution, if not and they get put back, then make a serious decision about whether you want to wait it out.

When I used to be with VM a few years ago, I had the same 2 issues as yourself which in the end didnt get resolved in a timely manner (over 12 months), so I bailed and took my business elsewhere.

The low SNR issue for me would come and go making it very difficult for VM to trace the source.

Also the high upstream utilisation issue was sporadic and didn't justify the necessary work to upgrade the hardware.

Just bear these issues in mind, and in the end I ended up with a slow 5.6Mbps Download speed and a measly 0.9 mbps upload speed that ran far smoother than my 50 Mbps offering from Virgin.
Unfortunately, this is where Virgin often lets itself down in a big way. If you can, ring up technical support and ask them directly for information on those F00 numbers. They'll have access to the history and they'll be able to see just how far those tickets go. One thing I would point out, however, is the number for the upstream utilisation is significantly less than the SNR one. SNR issues can take time to fix, but usually no more than a week or two. So if we assume that ticket is relatively recent. The Utilisation ones can take literally years and given the number it is (tickets are assigned sequentially), it has already been open for quite some time.
Virgin has a nasty habbit of just upping the resolution time on those tickets completely arbitrarily so they're never "Behind".
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 17:45   #3219
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Two upstreams now. The TBB efect is marked as on others we've seen.

Pity the DS went to pot with 28 dB SNR and -11 dBmv on the same channels as before with decent values.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 18:58   #3220
dwarven
Inactive

Services: 100mb
dwarven is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Unfortunately, this is where Virgin often lets itself down in a big way. If you can, ring up technical support and ask them directly for information on those F00 numbers. They'll have access to the history and they'll be able to see just how far those tickets go. One thing I would point out, however, is the number for the upstream utilisation is significantly less than the SNR one. SNR issues can take time to fix, but usually no more than a week or two. So if we assume that ticket is relatively recent. The Utilisation ones can take literally years and given the number it is (tickets are assigned sequentially), it has already been open for quite some time.
Virgin has a nasty habbit of just upping the resolution time on those tickets completely arbitrarily so they're never "Behind".
I will most definately be chasing up on these 2 tickets. Do wonder why they bother giving people this 'free' upgrade when the network has these kind of issues.

Found out today that Sky is going to be offering their unlimited package in my area within six months so that may end up being the answer.
dwarven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 21:40   #3221
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The additional upstream channel has indeed made a marked difference in this part of Crawley.

buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 21:44   #3222
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Thejitter has reduced from 11 ms to 1 ms (according to my JDAST reports).

Old 18-01-2013, 00:29   #3223
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:

Pity the DS went to pot with 28 dB SNR and -11 dBmv on the same channels as before with decent values.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Surprising how well it performs (essentially flawlessly) despite those stats... Essentially zero packet loss throughout the day aside from the two resyncs.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 00:57   #3224
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Yes it is a surprise. Last time I had those schmitty DS power levels and poor SNR performance was terrible, including packet loss. It sort of flies in the face of the advice I dole out to others!

Old 18-01-2013, 02:33   #3225
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

pssssssss .....the bonded up streams makes huge difference...well done
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote