Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WRT54GL ok for 50mb?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WRT54GL ok for 50mb?

Old 25-09-2009, 17:58   #1
wesley
Inactive

wesley is an unknown quantity at this point
WRT54GL ok for 50mb?

hi guys

got the engineer coming tomorrow to install 50mb and phone. but i just phone virginmedia, they confirmed they sent the router today and i should get it by tuesday or wedesday. wtf?!?

they also said it's possible the engineer wont do the installation cos of no router.

so i am wondered if WRT54GL is ok for 50mb on wired as i never use wireless. mainly i like the tomato firmware.

cheers
wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2009, 18:15   #2
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Re: WRT54GL ok for 50mb?

He should be able to install a direct connection to your PC/Laptop, the router can be set up manually when it arrives

I think that router may be ok.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 18:32   #3
wesley
Inactive

just ordered from ebuyer, should get it by tomorrow, hopefully it'll work ok with 50mb lol
Old 25-09-2009, 18:57   #4
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

I could pull 80+Mb/s through my WRT54G with DD-WRT.
So, as the WRT54GL is more powerful and would be using better firmware still, i uess you'll be fine.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 22:31   #5
REM
Inactive

Services: TV Full House V6 200Mb/s + Telephone
REM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley View Post
hi guys

got the engineer coming tomorrow to install 50mb and phone. but i just phone virginmedia, they confirmed they sent the router today and i should get it by tuesday or wedesday. wtf?!?

they also said it's possible the engineer wont do the installation cos of no router.

so i am wondered if WRT54GL is ok for 50mb on wired as i never use wireless. mainly i like the tomato firmware.

cheers
Why isn't he bringing it with him. He brought mind when he came.
REM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 22:32   #6
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
I could pull 80+Mb/s through my WRT54G with DD-WRT.
So, as the WRT54GL is more powerful and would be using better firmware still, i uess you'll be fine.
80Mbit WAN to LAN via NAT dude? Or was this LAN to LAN via the 100M switch?

That sounds like an exceptionally high throughput for a WRT54G regardless of firmware.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 22:37   #7
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
80Mbit WAN to LAN via NAT dude? Or was this LAN to LAN via the 100M switch?

That sounds like an exceptionally high throughput for a WRT54G regardless of firmware.
WAN - LAN.

Setup a server, placed it on WAN with static IP. Put my other machine on LAN, transferred via http and multiple links (10 threads).
Also did some odd torrent experiment with it, got roughly the same throughput.

I sold it on ebay eventually, with full results from the test showing. I actually made a profit on it.
Old 25-09-2009, 23:08   #8
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
WAN - LAN.

Setup a server, placed it on WAN with static IP. Put my other machine on LAN, transferred via http and multiple links (10 threads).
Also did some odd torrent experiment with it, got roughly the same throughput.

I sold it on ebay eventually, with full results from the test showing. I actually made a profit on it.
That's very interesting and not a little anomalous.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=341

If this was in routed mode it may have taken some of the burden away though.
Old 26-09-2009, 07:37   #9
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
That's very interesting and not a little anomalous.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=341

If this was in routed mode it may have taken some of the burden away though.
That's incredibly odd...

I wonder if i can find the images from the test, it's been many years though :S

---------- Post added at 08:37 ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 ----------

All attachments are gone etc, but here's a thread i made about it: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...-firmware.html

Wish i could do it again without a crap PC.
Old 26-09-2009, 12:54   #10
wesley
Inactive

hi

got the 50mb now, working very well, pull 6.3mb/s from usenet

using the dlink router at the moment, linksys WRT54GL arrived this morning from ebuyer when i ordered last night 6pm, super fast delivery!

i will use the WRT54GL with firmware tonight, is there anything i have to do before swap the router?

cheers
Old 26-09-2009, 15:25   #11
wesley
Inactive

i can confirm WRT54GL with tomato firmware work perfectly with 50mb, plenty horsepowers left!!!

Admin Edit(Stuart): Please don't post large images. They make it harder for some people to navigate the site. I've converted the image to an attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2epnb44.jpg (88.6 KB, 71 views)
Old 26-09-2009, 17:07   #12
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Good stuff!

Well I learn something new every day, and this was my new thing for today!
Old 27-09-2009, 23:44   #13
TrancerSteve
Inactive

TrancerSteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting I wonder what has changed then and why others experience slower performance WAN to LAN?

There are only 2 versions of WRT54GL from looking at wikipedia and there is no mention of any major hardware changes between them. Confusing...
TrancerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 07:33   #14
BloodyL
Inactive

Services: 50Mb
BloodyL will become famous soon enoughBloodyL will become famous soon enoughBloodyL will become famous soon enough

The link Broadbandings provided takes you to the forum for a modified WRT54G firmware called DD-WRT, whereas wesley is using a different modified firmware called Tomato.

Cheers for the heads up wesley, I've been meaning to check out the WRT54's performance.
BloodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 23:12   #15
BloodyL
Inactive

Services: 50Mb
BloodyL will become famous soon enoughBloodyL will become famous soon enoughBloodyL will become famous soon enough

All switched back over, yup, the WRT54GL runs great on 50mb with the Tomato firmware.

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Oh, Forgot to mention, I've overclocked both machines to 250Mhz, they struggled a bit on the default settings.
BloodyL is offline   Reply With Quote