Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What would stop you cutting the cord?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What would stop you cutting the cord?

Old 24-07-2015, 07:26   #16
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice
Re: What would stop you cutting the cord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Cord Cutting is generally understood to mean dropping Pay TV from a provider such as Sky or VM and sourcing content from streaming services.
Apologies for misinterpreting

---------- Post added at 07:26 ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 ----------

Good post from Chad above, the amount of channels we actually watch is probably even less than your 12

My problem is I love my sport so for me it's about getting those channels for the best deal I can find
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-07-2015, 09:23   #17
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
Apologies for misinterpreting

---------- Post added at 07:26 ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 ----------

Good post from Chad above, the amount of channels we actually watch is probably even less than your 12

My problem is I love my sport so for me it's about getting those channels for the best deal I can find
Indeed.
Old 24-07-2015, 10:33   #18
yorkshireborn
Inactive

Services: SkyQ silver 2TB SkyQ mini multiroom Boxset skysports HD skymovies HD Virgin vivid 350meg
yorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by apophis View Post
Dont know what Tivo you have but mine is a generation ahead of Skys offering....its fantastic.
Roger
your a TiVo fan there's nothing wrong with that but to say its better than skys offering (sorry sir but your way off the mark there) the menu takes an age to go thru to get where you want to go the apps take ages to get going it can take the iplayer up to and over 2 minutes to watch a programme on sky the same can take 30 sec. skys offering is way in front.
yorkshireborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:55   #19
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l would say being neutral here that Sky are in front on some things and Virgin are in front on others.
Old 24-07-2015, 12:47   #20
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
your a TiVo fan there's nothing wrong with that but to say its better than skys offering (sorry sir but your way off the mark there) the menu takes an age to go thru to get where you want to go the apps take ages to get going it can take the iplayer up to and over 2 minutes to watch a programme on sky the same can take 30 sec. skys offering is way in front.
Same with youview it's a matter of seconds from selecting iplayer to playing the programme i wish to watch, all other pps aka netflix are the same too almost instant.
TIVO is a clunky piece of crap imo very outdated now.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 13:11   #21
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Same with youview it's a matter of seconds from selecting iplayer to playing the programme i wish to watch, all other pps aka netflix are the same too almost instant.
TIVO is a clunky piece of crap imo very outdated now.
Yes in your opinion and that's what it is all about in people having and sharing their opinions about things although l don't quite share the same opinion..
Old 24-07-2015, 14:07   #22
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes in your opinion and that's what it is all about in people having and sharing their opinions about things although l don't quite share the same opinion..
Exactly mate that's what makes forums so great too seeing everyones opinion on things, if we all had the same opinions it'd be a very boring world lol
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 14:20   #23
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l would say being neutral here that Sky are in front on some things and Virgin are in front on others.
I have experience of Sky at family visits and nothing in the world would make me give up Tivo for one of their machines... but that is my opinion some agree others do not.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 15:03   #24
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Some people are happy to trade a little bit of speed for the superior functionality of Tivo.

Tivo's processing power is a little old now, and therefore slower than more modern devices. The speed of Tivo is absolutely fine for me. But if you want very fast loading of Netflix and iplayer, you could always add another device, such as the Amazon Fire TV.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 15:51   #25
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Been looking a this as well, as we barely use the Tivo now, and mainly watch streaming. With Xbox One, it has all the catch up services so if you miss something just watch it there.
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 15:56   #26
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Some people are happy to trade a little bit of speed for the superior functionality of Tivo.
That's part of the problem, I would say that Tivo is barely functional. I have Tivo, Sky+HD & Freeview boxes in front of me right now and I can't think of any test where Tivo would finish in the top 2.

Incidentally, Sky are now pushing their 'Sports Pack' at £22.75pm for 12 months - includes Atlantic, Living, Fox, Universal etc.
tassiekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 16:12   #27
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiekev View Post
I would say that Tivo is barely functional. .

Then you really need to report it IMHO. There must be something wrong with it

Quote:
I have Tivo, Sky+HD & Freeview boxes in front of me right now and I can't think of any test where Tivo would finish in the top 2.
The other boxes don't have as much to do and likely are faster. But as I've said, functionality is more important to some people.

Talking of functionality, you never answered my question on Sky's 'Never miss' compared to Tivo's Whishlists
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 16:21   #28
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiekev View Post
That's part of the problem, I would say that Tivo is barely functional. I have Tivo, Sky+HD & Freeview boxes in front of me right now and I can't think of any test where Tivo would finish in the top 2.

Incidentally, Sky are now pushing their 'Sports Pack' at £22.75pm for 12 months - includes Atlantic, Living, Fox, Universal etc.
They must be losing money hand over fist with some of their offers but it must work as their overall profits still seem to rise.
Old 24-07-2015, 16:31   #29
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
On Sky's 'never miss' system, can you type in, say, a Director, or an Actor, or any specific subject, then refine it by specifying films or TV shows that you aren't interested in, and then it will automatically record shows that fit the parameters you have set?
NO!!!! I wonder how many Tivo users would actually use the above - other than your goodself of course.

But then I could never get Wishlists working anyway - it couldn't even find Kojak! I prefer to spend 10 minutes a week scanning my TV guide and marking the progs I want to record, far quicker.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I missed it.
tassiekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 07:59   #30
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

Impossible to get through to retentions last night, wonder how many people are having similar conversations with them

Will try again this morning
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote