Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to remove unwanted apps from ZTE Blade III?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How to remove unwanted apps from ZTE Blade III?

Old 27-07-2013, 09:46   #1
resander
Inactive

Services: BB:100Mb TV:XL+SkySports&ESPN Phone:M
resander is an unknown quantity at this point
How to remove unwanted apps from ZTE Blade III?

The ZTE Blade III comes with Android Icecream sandwich 4.0.4.

I am a TOTAL mobile newbie...

I prefer accessing Internet from my desktop and make phone calls from my BT landline, but the rest of the family use mobile phones. From my landline calling mobiles typically cost 20 pence or more per minute so got an inexpensive ZTE Blade III mobile from Virgin to eliminate the call charges to the mobiles (calls between virgin mobiles are free).

I would only occasionally access a few sites like BBC Weather, BBC News, Houses of Lords and Parliament, CNN Armanpour, Euronews and Amazon from the ZTE and continue to use these and few other like Google, Yahoo, gmail, YouTube, Facebook, Skype, online newspapers/stores and various forums etc from the desktop.

There are other apps on the ZTE. Some I would want to remove now, like games and children books like The three Musketerers, Alice in Wonderland and Treasure Island (read these as a boy!) How? Here are more apps on the ZTE:

calendar, camera, downloads, eventnote, facebook, fmradio, fullshare, gallery, gmail, google+, hotdeals, latitude, local, maps, messaging, miEasyAccess, music, navigation, notepad, people, phone, playbooks, playmovies, rgtagz, googlesearch,sms alerts, softwareupdates, soundrecorder, talk, taskmanager, timer, touchpalkey, videoplayer, xoffice, youtube, googlesearch.

Some of these might be useful other I would probably want to discard. I come from Windows & Linux that provide programs/applications delete functions, but I could not find these on Android.

Anything I could try or are the ZTE apps preinstalled and will stay forever?

Ken
On the desktop with Ubuntu/Windows dual-booted I use the Firefox browser that automatically remembers the last websites visited and conveniently lets me delete individual sites from the history list that I don't want any more. Do Android or Android browsers have some something similar?
resander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2013, 09:53   #2
tizmeinnit

Re: How to remove unwanted apps from ZTE Blade III?

The functions are there but some are embedded and unless you root your phone you will not be able to get into system to remove them. The books you should just be able to delete from your pc.
Old 05-08-2013, 13:13   #3
resander
Inactive

Had a go at teaching myself a bit over the weekend...

First tried removing apps, but did not have any luck. I used the Play Store and searched on the app name, for example 'calendar' and got matches Google calendar, aCalendar etc, but these were not the Calendar in the ZTE Blade 3. Also tried searching on Play Book and got matches but not for the Play Book in the ZTE (was hoping to get rid of the children books). Did not try to remove any other app from the ZTE. I am beginning to think it cannot be done.

However, the Android Firefox browser provides functions similar to those on a desktop Firefox. Clicking in the address bar field brings up a list of visited sites. Long-clicking an item in the list brings up a small menu that allows the item to be removed from the history list.

The Android Chrome browser can also show a history list and let the user delete history items, but the operation is a bit different from the Firefox.

I have read it is possible to remove unwanted apps from a rooted Android device, but I don't think that is for a newbie like myself. Too much can go wrong.

Has anyone tried rooting a ZTE Blade 3? Is it difficult? Where can I read about it?

Ken
Old 07-08-2013, 22:41   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=root+zte+blade+3

As tizmeinnit said you cannot remove built-in apps without rooting.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11   #5
resander
Inactive

Thanks for the info...

I am too much of an Android beginner to attempt rooting the ZTE blade now. Will study Android, Android development, structure, rooting and use it in normal mode for a couple of months first and then try.

Again many thanks
Ken