Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do you now have to request free VM to VM calls?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do you now have to request free VM to VM calls?
Closed Thread

Old 16-05-2013, 20:31   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Do you now have to request free VM to VM calls?

During a call to Virgin Mobile today, I was told that to receive these free calls, you have to first text your landline number to 789444.

This is a new one on me and I get them anyway, so should I go through this procedure?

Also, does anyone know if the service where you can text VM for your balance to be sent back by return is chargeable or not?

If so, this does seem very odd, as it is free by dialling 789!
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2013, 20:48   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Do you now have to request free VM to VM calls?

BALANCE to 789789 is free
Old 16-05-2013, 20:57   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
During a call to Virgin Mobile today, I was told that to receive these free calls, you have to first text your landline number to 789444.

This is a new one on me and I get them anyway, so should I go through this procedure?
Not heard of that one and it's certainly not required on the Media tariff I'm on
Old 18-06-2013, 20:27   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
BALANCE to 789789 is free
On my VM phone, you can get this verbally just by dialling 789, why don't you give it a try to see if it works on your 'phone Kymmy?
Old 19-06-2013, 08:09   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Also, does anyone know if the service where you can text VM for your balance to be sent back by return is chargeable or not?

If so, this does seem very odd, as it is free by dialling 789!
Quote:
On my VM phone, you can get this verbally just by dialling 789, why don't you give it a try to see if it works on your 'phone Kymmy?
As it was in answer to your TEXT chargable or not question I'm not sure what you're getting at?? Text BALANCE to 789789 is free

Old 20-06-2013, 15:55   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Can everybody please behave. Posts removed.
Old 21-06-2013, 16:44   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I do wonder why I was given this erroneous information, I had never heard of it before and it appears that nobody else has either!

Does 789444 actually exist?
Old 21-06-2013, 16:55   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

I wonder if you ever thought of actually googling 789444 VIRGIN ?????

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-...ou-go-big.html
Old 21-06-2013, 17:37   #9
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
I do wonder why I was given this erroneous information, I had never heard of it before and it appears that nobody else has either!

Does 789444 actually exist?
Yes it does and I had heard of it before.
Old 22-06-2013, 02:00   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I wonder if you ever thought of actually googling 789444 VIRGIN ?????

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-...ou-go-big.html
No, I hadn't thought of doing that- good idea and thanks, but please don't continually use the rolly eyes emicon in your replies, as it comes across as rude and is unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Yes it does and I had heard of it before.
Thank you. After taking a look, it looks to me that the requirement for customers to text this number is not for the existing free VM to VM calls as I was told, but for the new system where differing top ups (£10/£15) generate free texts and data allowances.

The data is of no use to me, but the unlimited texts will be very useful for when I am too ill to get out of bed

I didn't know about this new system, so it was a nice surprise!
Old 22-06-2013, 09:56   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thank you. After taking a look, it looks to me that the requirement for customers to text this number is not for the existing free VM to VM calls as I was told, but for the new system where differing top ups (£10/£15) generate free texts and data allowances.
No it's for the free calls

Quote:
If you've got Virgin Broadband, TV or phone, you'll also get unlimited calls to other Virgin Mobiles when you top up £10 a month. To get going, just text your Virgin home phone number or your Virgin Media account number to 789444.
I wasn't aware of this offer before, but I would assume it's because, unlike the contract / SIMO offers, no checks and connection to the Media account are made to the PAYG account when it's purchased
Old 22-06-2013, 11:11   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
After providing the link you still don't bother reading it

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM website
If you've got Virgin Broadband, TV or phone, you'll also get unlimited calls to other Virgin Mobiles when you top up £10 a month. To get going, just text your Virgin home phone number or your Virgin Media account number to 789444.
As Ben says it's purely for VM to VM calls and nothing to do with the other allowances..

I sometimes wonder why we bother especially poor Ben ????
Old 22-06-2013, 18:01   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Please drop the attitude and stop being deliberately vexatious. If you can't bring yourself to be pleasant and friendly with your interactions, it may be better if you didn't "bother".

I am in a lot of pain at the moment and am on strong painkillers, so obviously sometimes get things wrong.

Can anybody fully explain this for me as I have obviously misunderstood.

Thanks.
Old 22-06-2013, 19:32   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

It's been fully explained in what's already posted/linked and even I can understand it on my strong pain killers
Old 23-06-2013, 07:48   #15
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I think if I was still confused I'd call them back, get a printout of the relevent t&c's and take it to someone else to have a look at.

I have had to do this once a few years back so I don't see why they can't do it now.
Closed Thread