Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Screen Recordings!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Black Screen Recordings!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:43   #16
kenoliver

Re: Black Screen Recordings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
O boy makes me glad that I didnt go for it. As my old man aways said about buying a new car - wait for Mark 2 !!!
Yes I'm old enough to know that

But now I have to justify spending £149.99 to folk who used to be able to watch TV without having to re boot to get rid of Black Screens, before I spent £149.99 ruining it for them

As you can imagine I'm not top of the pops at the moment (Hey Ho)

My only hope is that VM will ride to my rescue with the cavalry as I feel a bit like Cluster at the battle of Big Horn, back to the wall and surrounded by hostiles
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2011, 09:46   #17
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoliver View Post
Yes I'm old enough to know that

But now I have to justify spending £149.99 to folk who used to be able to watch TV without having to re boot to get rid of Black Screens, before I spent £149.99 ruining it for them

As you can imagine I'm not top of the pops at the moment (Hey Ho)

My only hope is that VM will ride to my rescue with the cavalry as I feel a bit like Cluster at the battle of Big Horn, back to the wall and surrounded by hostiles
You've had the black screen once haven't you? Obviously any recording made whilst that fault was present are counted in that.

Did the reboot resolve the issue?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:05   #18
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
You've had the black screen once haven't you? Obviously any recording made whilst that fault was present are counted in that.

Did the reboot resolve the issue?
No I've had the Black Screen several times, and lost about 6 recordings due to it and the reboot

But irrespective of how many times I've had it , the point is I shouldn't have had it at all, on a system I have just paid £149.99 for,

I never had anything like this with my V+ box in the 4 years I had it, It was only rebooted due to power failure, and never to correct a fault, it was very reliable

I see that you are VM staff I would have hopped you would have felt able to respond with a more helpful post

And as for the reboot as yet I have not recorded anything so won't know if it fixed it till later tonight

As a Black Screen recording effects the channel I am recording off, setting it to not available on your package
Old 08-06-2011, 10:09   #19
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
O boy makes me glad that I didnt go for it. As my old man aways said about buying a new car - wait for Mark 2 !!!
That's a very good point but at the same time a new car can't be fundamentally improved with a software update.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

Quote:
No I've had the Black Screen several times, and lost about 6 recordings due to it and the reboot

But irrespective of how many times I've had it , the point is I shouldn't have had it at all, on a system I have just paid £149.99 for,

I never had anything like this with my V+ box in the 4 years I had it, It was only rebooted due to power failure, and never to correct a fault, it was very reliable

I see that you are VM staff I would have hopped you would have felt able to respond with a more helpful post

And as for the reboot as yet I have not recorded anything so won't know if it fixed it till later tonight

As a Black Screen recording effects the channel I am recording off, setting it to not available on your package
What I can't understand Ken is why you decided to keep it as you have never really been happy with the box. In your situation though I would phone them up anyway and ask them to refit the V+. I think there has been at least one case of someone outside the 28days who has had that done.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:24   #20
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
That's a very good point but at the same time a new car can't be fundamentally improved with a software update.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

What I can't understand Ken is why you decided to keep it as you have never really been happy with the box. In your situation though I would phone them up anyway and ask them to refit the V+. I think there has been at least one case of someone outside the 28days who has had that done.
Well I have tried to stay with it, as in fairness there is much to be admired and I do believe that VM will correct the faults in the future

But as soon as one problem disappears another one appears, making it really difficult to justify the outlay and the move to others effected by my decision

I understand there will be some sensitivity amongst TiVo converts and some of my comments may irate,

But these things have to be aired in the spirit of working together to solve the problems,

I don't see that walking away now is the answer, I'm in now and will contribute with good will to the debate, in an effort to improve things
Old 08-06-2011, 10:35   #21
ahardie

Quote:
Well I have tried to stay with it, as in fairness there is much to be admired and I do believe that VM will correct the faults in the future

But as soon as one problem disappears another one appears, making it really difficult to justify the outlay and the move to others effected by my decision

I understand there will be some sensitivity amongst TiVo converts and some of my comments may irate,

But these things have to be aired in the spirit of working together to solve the problems,

I don't see that walking away now is the answer, I'm in now and will contribute with good will to the debate, in an effort to improve things
Good for you Ken. You have every right to moan, it's just that when you say the box isn't worth the money you do realise that you could and possibly still can send it back?
BTW I haven't had the blank screen issue and wouldn't be too pleased if I had. Keep at them and hopefully these issues will be fixed.
The V+ also had issues when it was first released especially for the Telewest early adopters, (the software was already a year old when I had mine fitted by VM/NTL). Like you say though we didn't have many issues with it.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:25   #22
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:

What I'm getting at is that you had the "black screen" issue, but have only rebooted it once since to rectify the issue.

I'm sorry if you feel I'm unhelpful, I'm not sure what you are expecting from me as I thought I'd asked you a question?

And some wonder why I don't post/help much anymore
Old 08-06-2011, 11:34   #23
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Unfortunately Ken with tech updates a new software code drop can cause another problem to rear its head , however if the forums are anything to go by there does seem a lot of problems out there , however not everyone seems to suffer the same. I hope this reboot has rectified your problem.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:16   #24
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Unfortunately Ken with tech updates a new software code drop can cause another problem to rear its head , however if the forums are anything to go by there does seem a lot of problems out there , however not everyone seems to suffer the same. I hope this reboot has rectified your problem.
Thanks for that I hope so to, but won't know until tonight when my next recording is scheduled

I think my worry is that I will be re booting at regular intervals,

You see I worked in IT support for years prior to retirement (early) and we only rebooted when all else failed,

The problem always came back again unless a patch was applied after the reboot to correct the problem, my re boot did something of an update so hope that fixed it
Old 08-06-2011, 12:21   #25
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Having the black screen + channel lost issue myself, hope this is a logged fault in VM since now becoming more common. Concerned that rebooting is not clearing the issue from the sound of it, in so far it is returning.

I was told to power off/on my box once a week and the Tivo support person considered this normal practice, I think not!

I also have EPG error, CBBC channel EPG is out of synch as off this morning as well according to my kids who then find it a problem to record programmes as they have to record the programme in the EPG not record the different programme they are actually seeing, or second guess if they don’t happen to be actually watching the programme they want to record.

Not good I must say, VM need to get their bug fixes out.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:23   #26
ahardie

Quote:
Thanks for that I hope so to, but won't know until tonight when my next recording is scheduled

I think my worry is that I will be re booting at regular intervals,

You see I worked in IT support for years prior to retirement (early) and we only rebooted when all else failed,

The problem always came back again unless a patch was applied after the reboot to correct the problem, my re boot did something of an update so hope that fixed it
Hopefully not Ken. If you do it will basically be until they fix the bug with an update. The perils of being an early adopter.
Just for the record I haven't rebooted mine now for nearly a month which is more stable than my V+ was initially.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
Having the black screen + channel lost issue myself, hope this is a logged fault in VM since now becoming more common. Concerned that rebooting is not clearing the issue from the sound of it, in so far it is returning.

I was told to power off/on my box once a week and the Tivo support person considered this normal practice, I think not!

I also have EPG error, CBBC channel EPG is out of synch as off this morning as well according to my kids who then find it a problem to record programmes as they have to record the programme in the EPG not record the different programme they are actually seeing, or second guess if they don’t happen to be actually watching the programme they want to record.

Not good I must say, VM need to get their bug fixes out.
Have you had the bug logged in the VM tivo community forum? I agree though like all bugs they need to be fixed asap.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:28   #27
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Hopefully not Ken. If you do it will basically be until they fix the bug with an update. The perils of being an early adopter.
Just for the record I haven't rebooted mine now for nearly a month which is more stable than my V+ was initially.

Have you had the bug logged in the VM tivo community forum?
I was an early adopter of Sky+HD , and there were problems with that , and an update would frequently cure a problem only for another to rear its head. It can be frustrating especially if it goes haywire when recording your favourite show.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:32   #28
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
What I'm getting at is that you had the "black screen" issue, but have only rebooted it once since to rectify the issue.

I'm sorry if you feel I'm unhelpful, I'm not sure what you are expecting from me as I thought I'd asked you a question?

And some wonder why I don't post/help much anymore
Please don't take offence, and stop helping others because your angry with me

I am quite a nice chap really

But the constant problems I am experiencing with TiVo are making me twitchy

I was so angry on Sunday night I crushed a grape with my bare hands
(scary or what?)
Old 08-06-2011, 12:41   #29
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Please don't take offence, and stop helping others because your angry with me

I am quite a nice chap really

But the constant problems I am experiencing with TiVo are making me twitchy

I was so angry on Sunday night I crushed a grape with my bare hands
(scary or what?)
I'm not angry with you

I just get a little disheartened at times
Old 08-06-2011, 13:14   #30
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Have you had the bug logged in the VM tivo community forum? I agree though like all bugs they need to be fixed asap.
yes done, new post placed.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote