Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] The News Corp scandal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] The News Corp scandal

Old 07-07-2011, 14:37   #181
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: NotW phone hacking allegations: Milly Dowler, Soham, 7/7, dead soldiers' families

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman View Post
No Tesco yet then, I wonder why.
Do not know? This is the best bit and this is what HOM3R said about charity.

Quote:
Mitsubishi
"We didn't want to have anything to do with a paper that would behave in that way." The firm will give its unspent money to charity ChildLine.
Not available
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2011, 14:39   #182
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: NotW phone hacking allegations: Milly Dowler, Soham, 7/7, dead soldiers' families

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
What we should do is instead of buying a NotW or family newspaper for a wek and put the money to one the the charities who have pulled out of them, I will.
A good idea , aside from all these allegations, anyone who buys Murdochs tabloids needs their head testing I've never seen as much trash.

I can recall major global incidents and the NOTW run a headline like Jordan considering breast reduction :-)
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 14:44   #183
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
I already did this, in 1989.
Yes and I for one am able to understand why you did this
Old 07-07-2011, 14:45   #184
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
A good idea , aside from all these allegations, anyone who buys Murdochs tabloids needs their head testing I've never seen as much trash.

I can recall major global incidents and the NOTW run a headline like Jordan considering rear reduction :-)
l have detested Murdoch for over 20 years and will never buy his newspapers as it goes against everything l believe in and these new slimy, insidious and disgusting chapters are no surprise because they represent what this man stands for as this leopard has never changed its spots.
denphone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 14:52   #185
Vip
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP service
Vip is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so happy that I do not subscribe to SKY nor do I read/buy any of Murdoch's ****.
Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 14:53   #186
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Paul McMullen bears the attitude of a man asking what all the fuss is about? Hello, you stupid scumbag, your newspaper colleagues are beneath contempt. You belong in the gutter along with your newspapers.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 14:55   #187
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Paul McMullen bears the attitude of a man asking what all the fuss is about? Hello, you stupid scumbag, your newspaper colleagues are beneath contempt. You belong in the gutter along with your newspapers.
Old 07-07-2011, 14:57   #188
Vip
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP service
Vip is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Virgin should do an extra special deal for all Sky customers that want to switch and don't want to give a further penny to Mad Murdoch...

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman View Post
No Tesco yet then, I wonder why.
Same tabloid reading customer - perhaps :-)
Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 15:00   #189
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Tesco's have recently done a shopping saving deal with The Sun/NoTW haven't they?
Old 07-07-2011, 15:02   #190
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip View Post
I think Virgin should do an extra special deal for all Sky customers that want to switch and don't want to give a further penny to Mad Murdoch...

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Same tabloid reading customer - perhaps :-)
The sad thing about all this is if Murdoch eventually gets the green light to takeover BSKYB he could end up getting it cheaper than he thought due to Sky's shares taking a dip.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 15:02   #191
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Well well well...

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw...co-Direct.html
Old 07-07-2011, 15:08   #192
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
The only thing with this is that it finished on the 25th of january this year.
denphone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 15:08   #193
yesman

Quote:
Also, a director of Tesco is also on the BskyB board

Quote:
Andrew Higginson, Finance and Strategy Director (46)
Member of the 100 Group of Financial Directors, Non-Executive Director of C and J Clarke Ltd and BSkyB.
Salary: £538,000 (£1.659m)
http://www.corporatewatch.org.uk/?lid=253#board

Tesco have made a statement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14065615
Old 07-07-2011, 15:09   #194
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The sad thing about all this is if Murdoch eventually gets the green light to takeover BSKYB he could end up getting it cheaper than he thought due to Sky's shares taking a dip.
No he could not as I have posted before?

Quote:
Which brings me to my third big point. I don't see how News Corporation, owner of News International, can pursue its takeover of British Sky Broadcasting at this juncture - or at least that is the inescapable conclusion of conversations I've had with those close to the bid.

On this last issue, and as I've pointed out before, Ofcom is under a legal obligation to ensure that the owners of broadcasters such as BSkyB are fit and proper.

But pending the results of the police enquiry into alleged illegal behaviour by the News of the World, and pending a public disclosure by News International of the way that it has changed its structures and practices to ensure such abuses never happen again, Ofcom is not in a position to adjudicate whether News Corporation is fit and proper.

That poses a dilemma for British Sky Broadcasting's independent directors. They know there is an increased risk of regulatory intervention by Ofcom to frustrate the takeover.

Because of that execution risk, they would have to demand a much steeper price from News Corporation than would otherwise be the case. It is their fiduciary duty to do so - and News Corporation, run by Rupert Murdoch, will be well aware of that.

Which means that even if - as is likely - the Secretary of State Jeremy Hunt gives a green light for the bid to be launched in a couple of weeks or so, it would be both potentially expensive and very risky for News Corporation to press the button on the bid then.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14045715
Old 07-07-2011, 15:09   #195
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Why did I click that link?
I feel like...I've been infected with....trailer trashism!
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote