Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do I need a static IP

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do I need a static IP

Old 18-10-2005, 14:20   #1
__spc__
Inactive

Services: FreeSat, BT Infinity
__spc__ is on a distinguished road__spc__ is on a distinguished road
Question Do I need a static IP

Hi,

I have the 1MBps service connecting to a Linksys WRT54G (v2 f/w 4.20.7) WiFi router, in turn connected to two PCs to create a home WLAN.

I want to ftp/http access files on one of my machines from the internet side, so need to set up port forwarding on the router.

However, I think I am correct in saying that my domestic ntl service dynamically assigns an IP address to my router, so this can change (e.g. if there's an outage or I switch off the modem for some reason). If this is the case, then I might find myself not being able to access the files.

Any suggestions on how to get around this?

All/any help very much appreciated...
__spc__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2005, 14:24   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: Do I need a static IP

www.no-ip.com
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 15:06   #3
__spc__
Inactive

Services: FreeSat, BT Infinity
__spc__ is on a distinguished road__spc__ is on a distinguished road

Thanks - going to setup port forwarding on the ntl IP address to see if like what I'm trying to achieve, then if so, will sign up for the free no-ip service; if I like that, I'll subscribe!

Thinking about it - do ntl's TOS allow the setting up of a server?
__spc__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 19:35   #4
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society

NTL allow whatever as long as it doesn't impact the service of their other customers - knock yourself out!
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 19:42   #5
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhnewark
NTL allow whatever as long as it doesn't impact the service of their other customers - knock yourself out!
No they don't please read the t&c for home use.
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 19:52   #6
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
or just add a new A record for an existing domain you own

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote