Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | qnap nas not connecting to internet (hdd / ethernet cables are in) reset, rebooted.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

qnap nas not connecting to internet (hdd / ethernet cables are in) reset, rebooted.

Old 27-09-2015, 10:23   #1
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point
qnap nas not connecting to internet (hdd / ethernet cables are in) reset, rebooted.

i have tried several steps but i cant get my qnap nas ts-253 pro to connect to the internet so i can access the login page...

ive tried everything
restarted router
reset the nas server
the ethernet cable is connected, signs of life
been to the router admin page of virgin and its not detecting it...

is there anything i need to do?
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2015, 16:29   #2
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: qnap nas not connecting to internet (hdd / ethernet cables are in) reset, reboote

The internet? You mean your local LAN? Can you connect to it locally?
Old 27-09-2015, 18:15   #3
wakkaday
cf.addict

Re: qnap nas not connecting to internet (hdd / ethernet cables are in) reset, reboote

nope, its not configuring an ip

yep the internet, i am trying to get to the admin page of the nas.
but my macbook doesnt have ethernet port... so at moment its nas to router and im trying to acess the admin page to set it up.. but it cant find/detect the nas

is it somethign to do with the dhcp or ip? that i need to change

on the online guides, it should be pretty simple to plug and play but not working for me

thanks
Old 27-09-2015, 18:47   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Can you access the NAS via its IP?

I connect my NAS to my router, this then enabled me to set it up via the IP.

If you don't know its IP try app called "Fing" this will tell you all devices connected to your router. You can then type the IP of the NAS in IE etc (you should be able to work out which one is the NAS)
Old 27-09-2015, 19:58   #5
LSainsbury

Have you tried QFinder? In case the IP has changed? If should pick it up by the MAC address...
Old 27-09-2015, 21:18   #6
wakkaday
cf.addict

yeh its not finding anything, tried all that. im guessing its a hardware fault
because im not even getting a beep which is what qnap list as an indicator when switch it on. although lights come on

q finder brings up nothing, suggest firewalls are on and cannot find nas
ive tried ip searching too.. only shows the devices i know that are connected, not even the nas or mac
Old 27-09-2015, 21:31   #7
LSainsbury

Power it off, try another cable - power it back on.

Don't power it up without a network cable - the network services in those don't start up without one attached.
Old 28-09-2015, 09:33   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

If you've enabled DHCP/IP logging in the router it should show you the DHCP request from the NAS (if it has made one) and the IP that router has assigned to it.
Old 28-09-2015, 13:54   #9
wakkaday
cf.addict

cool will try a final time later today... i will try another ethernet cable...
ive also tried with hdd out and in... but i will give it another go and see if it picks up

yes dhcp/up is enabled on the superhub router

thanks
Old 30-09-2015, 18:50   #10
wakkaday
cf.addict

this still doesnt work... strange.. its not finding anything
Old 30-09-2015, 22:40   #11
wakkaday
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
this still doesnt work... strange.. its not finding anything
Do I need to reserve the Mac addresses of the nas
Old 01-10-2015, 08:59   #12
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

One other way of talking to a LAN device when you don't know its IP is using an ARP table entry to assign a temporary IP:

You need to know the MAC of the device.

Open the command processor ( Usually CMD)

Use the ARP command to make an entry for your NAS.

ARP help screen below, look at example #1 at the bottom

Assign an IP in your local group:

192.168.1.xxx (probably)

If you're not sure then use the ipconfig command to show the IP assigned to your PC. This will give you the first three groups.

Once an ARP entry is made you should then be able to access the device at the temporary IP number. You can then interrogate its settings.

The ARP table is hosted on your PC and is cleared after reset/reboot

Note: I use a custom command processor. Legacy of being a UNIX user from way back.
arp_help.JPGipconfig.JPG
Old 01-10-2015, 16:08   #13
wakkaday
cf.addict

thanks will try and check this out

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

great would a similar option be available by MacBook pro (no Ethernet)

if not I will try find a windows machine and do as above