Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 27-06-2013, 22:35   #2266
moriath
Inactive

moriath is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

i fit into non of the above ... and watch the 5:30 game... much better than that trash on x factor strictly come ice skating shows
moriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-06-2013, 22:36   #2267
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulsontom View Post
Saturday Night is an awful slot because:

- Most of TV viewers are watching Strictly/X Factor.
- Broadcasters know this slot is badly watched so Sky will put it's 3rd/4th pick of the weekend in it (SS1 & 2, MNF), unless there is European commitments in the following mid-week.
- People are usually out/men let their wives have the remote.

I agree 12.45pm is bad slot, but only logistically, that I don't get to see many. They can be good games. Che 3 - 5 Ars for eg. And derbies get this slot a lot due to police instructions.
Gotta disagree, surely people can record strictly/X factor if they want to watch the football instead?!? personally don't see the point of either program, but there again I don't have kids and need to entertain them.
The people who don't want to watch the football will head off out yes, but even if they stayed in they would not watch the football anyway so it makes no difference to the football audience. Those who do want to watch it will surely watch it before going out for a few jars or out with the missus and/or watch the recording of Strictly/X-factor. When I was in the mood for football, I watched the odd match (with me mates) before heading out.
As for the missus having the control, there is often a balance struck between programmes. I.e. I would suffer through X-factor with the missus (after the match) as long as I can watch the footie, she can do what she wants when the footie is on etc.
I think Sky will put some decent matches on now due to better advertising revenue and it will give them the chance to keep footie fans watching SS1 for football first afterwards.
Also, how is the remote control argument different from the 12:45 match
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 22:48   #2268
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
Sky sports collections going up by £3.25 or £3.75 (can't remember which!) from 1st Oct. Movies collection price staying the same. Sorry if this is old news but I just heard it.
Wow, that's a big increase! They must've got a bad deal in the renegotiation's or else they are getting something extra that they don't have currently.

Sky isn't going up by this much for it's sports customers....
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 00:06   #2269
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Gotta disagree, surely people can record strictly/X factor if they want to watch the football instead?!? personally don't see the point of either program, but there again I don't have kids and need to entertain them.
The people who don't want to watch the football will head off out yes, but even if they stayed in they would not watch the football anyway so it makes no difference to the football audience. Those who do want to watch it will surely watch it before going out for a few jars or out with the missus and/or watch the recording of Strictly/X-factor. When I was in the mood for football, I watched the odd match (with me mates) before heading out.
As for the missus having the control, there is often a balance struck between programmes. I.e. I would suffer through X-factor with the missus (after the match) as long as I can watch the footie, she can do what she wants when the footie is on etc.
I think Sky will put some decent matches on now due to better advertising revenue and it will give them the chance to keep footie fans watching SS1 for football first afterwards.
Also, how is the remote control argument different from the 12:45 match
Of course, they can but they don't

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

& Sky will still put their best 2 games on Super Sunday. The Saturday game will always be 3rd choice, or 4th if there's a MNF game on. Maybe even 4th when BT have 1st pick, maybe 5th choice on those occasions.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 07:22   #2270
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
shocking tactics by BT and it will fail IMO
Nothing surprises me with BT as many yonks ago we had them and it was simply shocking.
Old 28-06-2013, 09:27   #2271
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this season the problem will now be to get all the best games you are going to need both Sky Sports and BT Sports. This will cost in the region of £35-£40+ per month depending on which platform you are on, whether you want HD, etc (unless of course you get BT Sports free via BT).

I can see many people this year saying enough is enough and possibly not bothering with one or both depending on how people's budgets are stretched in these current difficult financial times. You may then hopefully see some offers / reductions in the near future (we can but hope!).
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 09:35   #2272
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post
I think this season the problem will now be to get all the best games you are going to need both Sky Sports and BT Sports. This will cost in the region of £35-£40+ per month depending on which platform you are on, whether you want HD, etc (unless of course you get BT Sports free via BT).

I can see many people this year saying enough is enough and possibly not bothering with one or both depending on how people's budgets are stretched in these current difficult financial times. You may then hopefully see some offers / reductions in the near future (we can but hope!).
Indeed the next couple of months for Sky , Virgin and BT are crucial and the decisions they make in this period will be crucial to their businesses in the next couple of years and the amount of subscribers they win or lose from those decisions.
Old 28-06-2013, 10:02   #2273
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulsontom View Post
Of course, they can but they don't

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

& Sky will still put their best 2 games on Super Sunday. The Saturday game will always be 3rd choice, or 4th if there's a MNF game on. Maybe even 4th when BT have 1st pick, maybe 5th choice on those occasions.
LOL, good one. Again, those people choose to watch that program. Many others choose to watch the football.
Sky may well put the 2nd choice games on Saturday, but I was just highlighting what I think they will do. I don't think they will let BT have the best matches on Saturday, without having something strong to fall back on? I also, think Wetherspoons (and other major pub chains) will lobby Sky to show a good game to generate sales in their pubs from the Saturday night crowd. Still, its just a thought
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 11:51   #2274
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Why the worst slot for football? I've always hated the midday games, but with ESPN I've loved getting home from Palace in time to watch a Premier League game. I fully expect to be back in the Football League next season and I'm gutted that this will mean Saturday midday kick offs for TV. I do think that Sky showing a live 530 pm match followed by game of the day makes for a really decent Saturday night line up, though.

Carragher is awful, agreed.
I agree completely that BT have a rotten slot for their games.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 12:41   #2275
Parlyboy
cf.addict

Services: Everything, sold my soul to Virgin!
Parlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really nice

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...101517603.html

Looks like the gloves are off!!
Parlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:00   #2276
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post
I can see many people this year saying enough is enough and possibly not bothering with one or both
This is exactly what I am doing for this season. I could afford both of them but I am refusing to shell out near enough £37 for Sky Sports and the presumed £15-£20 for BT on the basis that I think this is a ridiculous amount of money for just sports channels

Instead I'm going to put my money towards renewing my season ticket at my club and because my season ticket will be cheaper than the Sky/BT price for a season I'll spend the difference on my teams new top and a few afternoons in the pub watching some football when BT decide to stick my team on on a Friday/Monday night.

Television money and the power TV companies have gained, as a result of pumping stupid amounts of money in, is ruining football in the UK and I am no longer prepared to help fund this.

Rant over, back to a happy Friday afternoon
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:21   #2277
bamav
cf.addict

Services: VM L TV powered by TiVo, 30MB BB, Sky Sports, Phone L, Freeview.
bamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to all

Excellent points! If more fans did that, clubs would be better off and Sky wouldn't have the same control over their destinies.
bamav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:22   #2278
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
This is exactly what I am doing for this season. I could afford both of them but I am refusing to shell out near enough £37 for Sky Sports and the presumed £15-£20 for BT on the basis that I think this is a ridiculous amount of money for just sports channels

Instead I'm going to put my money towards renewing my season ticket at my club and because my season ticket will be cheaper than the Sky/BT price for a season I'll spend the difference on my teams new top and a few afternoons in the pub watching some football when BT decide to stick my team on on a Friday/Monday night.

Television money and the power TV companies have gained, as a result of pumping stupid amounts of money in, is ruining football in the UK and I am no longer prepared to help fund this.

johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:36   #2279
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post

Well said.

I'm a sports junkie but I'm not paying that much. As long as I have the cricket, rugby and some football I'll pay for that.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 17:01   #2280
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
Anyway, with HD, it's gonna be either £36 or £36.50 which is a lot of money plus the £12 that we might have to pay for BT Sports. Not good.
Are you sure about that ? If so that's awfully expensive.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote