Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection slows down after 17:00 hrs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connection slows down after 17:00 hrs

Old 23-02-2012, 15:58   #31
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Connection slows down after 17:00 hrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kop32 View Post
Reading into the post above it seems that all the "free double your speed" hype will mean nothing if for most of the time the doubling of that speed will only mean getting what you pay for now,ie I pay for 30 meg but get no more than 10-12 meg at the best of time,not a happy camper.
No, my averages even in the worse times are still over 40Mb.

However in Aug 2011 my minimum was around 48-49 where as now the minimum flickers wildly, even down to much lower speeds and there is very noticeable issue between 1700 and 0000.
Old 23-02-2012, 16:26   #32
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Heh, for me they still have to do the upstream upgrades first, and then then the 100mb rollout upgrades, before they even start on the double speed upgrades.

Be glad the network in your area isn't already two upgrade cycles behind, and about to become three!

(Also, I'm starting to doubt if they'll even manage to hit the already twice-delayed Mar-12 target for the first round of upstream upgrades. Five weeks to go and still no sign of 6.4Mhz upstream channels, let alone the actual config uplift that happens weeks to months after that...)
what 100mbit rollout upgrades? haha

I think they just monitor things for a bit after the upstream upgrades and a switch is flicked for 100mbit.

as it seems not many areas had a 5th DS enabled for 100mbit.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 16:30   #33
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kop32 View Post
Reading into the post above it seems that all the "free double your speed" hype will mean nothing if for most of the time the doubling of that speed will only mean getting what you pay for now,ie I pay for 30 meg but get no more than 10-12 meg at the best of time,not a happy camper.
If that's the case then the actual effect would be the opposite, the few people disproportionately using excessive amounts of capacity will be able to use twice as much, and the remaining customers who do one thing at a time and can't brute force a youtube video with 100+ connections will end up with less capacity left over to share

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
what 100mbit rollout upgrades? haha

I think they just monitor things for a bit after the upstream upgrades and a switch is flicked for 100mbit.

as it seems not many areas had a 5th DS enabled for 100mbit.
Allegedly there was some resegmenting and node splitting going on, neither of which would be easily observed or proven by external folk like us.

Allegedly.

(Do note that if a node split did happen, that'd be almost the equivalent of going straight to 8 downstream channels)
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 22:04   #34
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I think I would have noticed a node split

even a reseg probably would have been noticed with an outage.

Seems too many stories of people seeing declines in service when 100mbit launched. Also 100mbit often launched either at the same time as upstream upgrades or very shortly after. Given how long it takes for VM to usually do upgrade work it would suggest any upgrade work would have been already carried out (in the form of the upstream upgrades). So I have concluded VM probably considered the upstream upgrades also adequate for 100mbit services, at least in the short term.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 13:52   #35
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

They have, for many years, been pushing the service as far as they conceivably could with virtually as little upstream as humanly possible just so they could peddle a higher downstream product. Long-term planning decisions to push extreme downstream at the cost of upstream have long-lasting effects...

That said, I should probably mention BT are currently doing the same thing, deliberately replacing upstream frequencies with downstream so people get higher download speeds at the cost of upload. Though it should be mentioned too that before the change, the bandplan for profile 8c was giving around 3:1 Download:upload ratio which is just humongous and profile 17a and its new bandplan still nets you approximately 5:1 download:upload ratio, double what VM could ever achieve.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote