Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection slows down after 17:00 hrs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connection slows down after 17:00 hrs

Old 22-02-2012, 18:39   #16
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age
Re: Connection slows down after 17:00 hrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
edit your post above mate. not a real biggy but still your IP is showing. remove the image posted above, edit the post. . use paint or something to rub the ip out

could you upload another graph too mate. on your thinkbroadband monitor page.. click on Show Previous Days.. pick yesterdays or the day before and it'll show results of the entire day.

with what i saw from your montior before and that i think its safe to say your areas max subbed needing upgrading.

whats your speed doubles ETA.. capacity is said to being upgraded before the roll out

Deleted previous post and am posting a shared link

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...2-02-2012.html
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2012, 18:43   #17
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

new link.
graph/results.

post up on the community forum... print screen all your previous stored days, take out your IP via paint or a program of your choice then upload the images. they will then note it

when do your speed doubles kick in.. what ETA do you get > http://doublespeed.virginmedia.com/
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 18:46   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

While such a graph shows your connection is heavily congested, particularly on the upstream it seems, though I can't be certain.

Nevertheless it's still pretty bad.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 18:47   #19
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
new link.
graph/results.

post up on the community forum... print screen all your previous stored days, take out your IP via paint or a program of your choice then upload the images. they will then note it

when do your speed doubles kick in.. what ETA do you get > http://doublespeed.virginmedia.com/
On point 1 I have even been through retentions and they put me through to Cardiff,no joy.

My expected date is Mid April 2012
Old 22-02-2012, 18:50   #20
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

same as me. capacity should be upgraded before that rolls out. still a month+.. better than 2013 like some have been told
Old 22-02-2012, 18:55   #21
kop32
cf.addict

Quote:
same as me. capacity should be upgraded before that rolls out. still a month+.. better than 2013 like some have been told

Signing off now,thanks for all your help and I may see you on Sunday when we visit "Our Second Home", Wembley.....,Oh sorry you will be still licking your wounds after Milan...
Old 22-02-2012, 18:55   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Heh, for me they still have to do the upstream upgrades first, and then then the 100mb rollout upgrades, before they even start on the double speed upgrades.

Be glad the network in your area isn't already two upgrade cycles behind, and about to become three!

(Also, I'm starting to doubt if they'll even manage to hit the already twice-delayed Mar-12 target for the first round of upstream upgrades. Five weeks to go and still no sign of 6.4Mhz upstream channels, let alone the actual config uplift that happens weeks to months after that...)
Old 22-02-2012, 18:59   #23
thenry
Inactive

Old 22-02-2012, 18:59   #24
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

im mar to apr 2012 right after the 100mb being made available only been able to order it for 2 week snow
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:07   #25
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Remember the first lucky few who got it in October 2010?

I find it funny how they've now added a +1 to the year digits just to make it look like they're not quite as far behind as they actually are...
Quote:
Originally Posted by October 2010
The new speeds will be rolled out across the network starting in September [2010] and continuing through 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now
The new speeds started to roll out in 2011 and will continue through 2012.
Old 22-02-2012, 20:12   #26
thenry
Inactive

thats not upload ETAs surely qas.. Im sure I got mine before that
Old 22-02-2012, 20:15   #27
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Read the link yourself:

Quote:
Great news, we're increasing the upload speeds on our fibre optic broadband, free of charge! The new speeds will be rolled out across the network starting in September and continuing through 2011.
And today:
http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/dis...?buspart=DD_31
Quote:
Great news, we're increasing the upload speeds on our fibre optic broadband, free of charge! The new speeds started to roll out in 2011 and will continue through 2012. The new speeds are:
Yes I know it's a downright lie. No I'm not at all surprised.
Old 23-02-2012, 11:18   #28
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Some posts removed. Please keep on topic
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 15:31   #29
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I'm on 50Mb and have now started getting less good service between 17:00 and midnight.

Upto August 2011 : nice flat line at 50Mb all day, everyday (average, very few anomalies)

Starting Sept 2011 and getting worse there is a noticeable dip over the aforementioned time period. Min speeds can drop to 17Mb and average is now noticeably dipped.

The data is from SamKnows monitoring so isn't PC or internal connections, the router does the tests.

Did note that Downstream power was in the 12-14 range which according to this site seems a might high. Rebooted SACM lastnight, will see what's what tonight.

Packet loss - negligible until Sept 2011 now it's definitely there (upto 8.5%/day)
Latency - never exceptional but pretty flat until Sept 2011, now much more "wobbly"
RTP jitter - same sort of picture. (Both later had issue upto May 2011 then improved til Sept)
Downstream (raw) - again got worse Sept 2011)

Now my figures are much better than some but still something happened Sept 2011 that has shown as degradation in service, even if I mostly don't notice. But figures are getting worse and Feb 2012 is currently the worse yet.
Old 23-02-2012, 15:50   #30
kop32
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I'm on 50Mb and have now started getting less good service between 17:00 and midnight.

Upto August 2011 : nice flat line at 50Mb all day, everyday (average, very few anomalies)

Starting Sept 2011 and getting worse there is a noticeable dip over the aforementioned time period. Min speeds can drop to 17Mb and average is now noticeably dipped.

The data is from SamKnows monitoring so isn't PC or internal connections, the router does the tests.

Did note that Downstream power was in the 12-14 range which according to this site seems a might high. Rebooted SACM lastnight, will see what's what tonight.

Packet loss - negligible until Sept 2011 now it's definitely there (upto 8.5%/day)
Latency - never exceptional but pretty flat until Sept 2011, now much more "wobbly"
RTP jitter - same sort of picture. (Both later had issue upto May 2011 then improved til Sept)
Downstream (raw) - again got worse Sept 2011)

Now my figures are much better than some but still something happened Sept 2011 that has shown as degradation in service, even if I mostly don't notice. But figures are getting worse and Feb 2012 is currently the worse yet.
Reading into the post above it seems that all the "free double your speed" hype will mean nothing if for most of the time the doubling of that speed will only mean getting what you pay for now,ie I pay for 30 meg but get no more than 10-12 meg at the best of time,not a happy camper.