Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 21-01-2013, 22:39   #3241
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Yeah, but that's load balancing of the network, not of the down streams the guy has. There may be an over-utilisation of the upstream he's on, but even if he was only on one downstream it wouldn't be any better is what I'm saying.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-01-2013, 22:42   #3242
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Anyone with a clue know why my connection falls apart between 4pm and Midnight exactly every day, I mean, utilisation problems shouldn't be so well scheduled and there's nothing running on my end to swamp my connection during those times by the way.

It is obviously related to peak time usage. Pretty sure that more users active can increase some type of errors. Not sure if that would be HEC/FEC or something else, or indicative of an amp on its way out or whatever though.

The packet loss makes me think its not as simple as utilisation.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 03:12   #3243
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I don't think the number of downstreams versus the number of upstreams has any impact.
Given each downstream channel requires a certain amount of upstream bandwidth to work, it does.

Considering one downstream channel uses up to 5-10% of the upstream channel capacity to run, fully utilizing 8 downstream channels with one upstream could result in up to 80% of the upstream capacity being utilized just to operate the downstream, while nobody is uploading anything. That leaves very little upstream capacity left over for actual uploading, especially given congestion issues can begin at above 70% upstream utilization

---------- Post added at 03:12 ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Yeah, but that's load balancing of the network, not of the down streams the guy has. There may be an over-utilisation of the upstream he's on, but even if he was only on one downstream it wouldn't be any better is what I'm saying.
However if the network only had one downstream (aside from downstream congestion issues) that would leave at least 90% of the upstream capacity available, compared to the ~40-50% left over with 8 downstream channels in use.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 08:03   #3244
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Given each downstream channel requires a certain amount of upstream bandwidth to work, it does.

Considering one downstream channel uses up to 5-10% of the upstream channel capacity to run, fully utilizing 8 downstream channels with one upstream could result in up to 80% of the upstream capacity being utilized just to operate the downstream, while nobody is uploading anything. That leaves very little upstream capacity left over for actual uploading, especially given congestion issues can begin at above 70% upstream utilization.
There's an interesting article on the subject here.

The takeaway in the context of Qasi's post is that the frequency of ACKs sent back (through a busy) upstream on data received will slow the download (decrease throughput).

Whether or not that is a 5-10% overhead I'll leave to Qasi to justify, if he cares to. But it is an important point that he makes.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:10   #3245
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Considering one downstream channel uses up to 5-10% of the upstream channel capacity to run, fully utilizing 8 downstream channels with one upstream could result in up to 80% of the upstream capacity being utilized just to operate the downstream, while nobody is uploading anything. That leaves very little upstream capacity left over for actual uploading, especially given congestion issues can begin at above 70% upstream utilization

---------- Post added at 03:12 ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 ----------

However if the network only had one downstream (aside from downstream congestion issues) that would leave at least 90% of the upstream capacity available, compared to the ~40-50% left over with 8 downstream channels in use.
Believe it or not, this situation is nothing new to VM. Remember when the 50Meg first came out and had an upload speed of barely over 1.5Mbit? (If I recall correctly). The ACKs alone would nearly congest the upload stream in itself, yet it actually ran fairly smoothly (For most, there's always an exception). Anyway, there is a point in what you're saying but he's having this issue without actually utilising his downstream, which is the point I'm making - just HAVING 8 downstreams versus 1 upstream isn't the issue, there's obviously something else going on there.

I'd like to know where you're getting your figures, though, 5-10% of upstream per downstream for example. Are you referring to the available bandwidth for the connection (What profile the modem is set to), or the available bandwidth for the channels (8x50Mbit on the downstream, 1x~30Mbit on the upstream?) or what?
Old 22-01-2013, 13:50   #3246
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
8 downstreams with only 1 upstream? Yeah that's begging for problems...
I now have 8 downstream but I dont know how many upstream, superhub is crashing 1 min after boot. I cant load the upstream page.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 15:33   #3247
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I now have 8 downstream but I dont know how many upstream, superhub is crashing 1 min after boot. I cant load the upstream page.
Probably a silly suggestion but could you go directly to your upstream page

http://192.168.100.1/VmRouterStatus_upstream.asp

Sorry if it's a daft idea. (I'll get my coat on the way off the thread. )
Old 22-01-2013, 17:54   #3248
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

its fixed now, the issue was it couldnt get a wan ip and I guess whilst in that state in modem mode it isnt responsive. I will post a graph after some uptime.

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

Old 22-01-2013, 18:30   #3249
Kushan

Seems like a massive improvement on before.
Old 22-01-2013, 18:46   #3250
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

so far yeah, lets see how it goes at 6pm.

and yeah doh its already gone 6pm, 2US
Old 23-01-2013, 00:01   #3251
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

something is going on right now
Maybe is local

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...3-01-2013.html
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 19:08   #3252
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

2 days after waiting a year or so for the upgrade seems another is needed.

VM just cant get that modem count down enough.
Old 24-01-2013, 21:03   #3253
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

Where in LE3 are you as I notice you're graph says " Bonded US "
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 22:43   #3254
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

fosse road area.
Old 25-01-2013, 04:46   #3255
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
2 days after waiting a year or so for the upgrade seems another is needed.
same here after few days gone back up, then after 1-3 weeks gone down again
seems they will load balance it (or whatever they doing) by time
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote