Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 23-06-2008, 21:55   #76
NotaVMFan
Inactive

Services: Sky Plus x 2, Sky Std Box, Sky Connect Running at 8mb (Now Getting LLU`D for 16mb Max Product, Bt li
NotaVMFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
There's 2 things that are going to happen here.

1 is when they do implement application management, whether it be throttling or whatever. they will have proved that they lied. and can't be trusted to ever tell the truth resulting in everyone leaving and the company goes bust.

2 is they change their mind and don't go ahead with implementing application management in any shape or form.

Wonder which one they are gonna go for?
I choose 1
NotaVMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2008, 22:00   #77
Angry@VMedia
Permanently Banned

Angry@VMedia can only hope to improve
Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaVMFan View Post
I choose 1
BUT there will still be the not-so-tech savvy, and the users that dont freqent here that will know nothing about it, and IF they do actually call up to complain, they will be force fed the usual bullcrap that their pc is infected with viri / spyware or their network card is buggered, and if its the less tech savvy people, then they will actually believe virgin!!
Angry@VMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 22:08   #78
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaVMFan View Post
I choose 1
I think this is the first time when they have denied something is happening or is going to happen (I guess you could say officially)
making that (I guess you could say official) statement, and taking into account the fact that they already do the very same thing on their ADSL offering.

The Virgin *we are in a bit of a pickle* team
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 22:09   #79
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry@VMedia View Post
BUT there will still be the not-so-tech savvy, and the users that dont freqent here that will know nothing about it, and IF they do actually call up to complain, they will be force fed the usual bullcrap that their pc is infected with viri / spyware or their network card is buggered, and if its the less tech savvy people, then they will actually believe virgin!!
People who are on 20mb use their connection, they don't pay out just to browse and get emails. I'm sure they know's exactly what's going on.

When or if this comes into force, for what real reason is left to stay on 20mb or 50mb, or VM as a whole.
Old 23-06-2008, 22:23   #80
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutkp View Post
People who are on 20mb use their connection, they don't pay out just to browse and get emails. I'm sure they know's exactly what's going on.

When or if this comes into force, for what real reason is left to stay on 20mb or 50mb, or VM as a whole.
A while back now, back in the days of NTL wasn't there some master plan to put everyone on 10meg (as was the top speed back then) and then charge people for usage - similar to the price plans from ADSL providers like BT?

The more we move towards 24/7 STM and this application throttling (OK, they denied throttling applications but that leaves plenty of scope for destinations, ports, etc) the more the drive is for a higher package to get higher bandwidth rather than the speed.

I've said it before, and I still think this is the case, but I believe the end goal here is to "encourage" people like me on 4meg to upgrade to a higher packager just to be able to use my connection now as I was a year ago. They're banking on the fact that just because you give someone faster speeds doesn't mean their usage changes. The more people on the higher packages, the more revenue for the same cost (in theory anyway).
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 22:32   #81
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
A while back now, back in the days of NTL wasn't there some master plan to put everyone on 10meg (as was the top speed back then) and then charge people for usage - similar to the price plans from ADSL providers like BT?

The more we move towards 24/7 STM and this application throttling (OK, they denied throttling applications but that leaves plenty of scope for destinations, ports, etc) the more the drive is for a higher package to get higher bandwidth rather than the speed.

I've said it before, and I still think this is the case, but I believe the end goal here is to "encourage" people like me on 4meg to upgrade to a higher packager just to be able to use my connection now as I was a year ago. They're banking on the fact that just because you give someone faster speeds doesn't mean their usage changes. The more people on the higher packages, the more revenue for the same cost (in theory anyway).
I totally agree with what you're saying, but when you're paying £38 for it the fun soon wears off when you can't use what you're paying out for. There are cheaper alternatives out there.

I understand what you're saying, if the 10mb was stm free then I'll gladly down grade. As it stands I do feel like I don't have a choice in the matter as that tier to me is totally pointless as it is now, my only alternative is to look elsewhere and in time all those upgrading will probably feel the same too.
Old 23-06-2008, 22:41   #82
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutkp View Post
I totally agree with what you're saying, but when you're paying £38 for it the fun soon wears off when you can't use what you're paying out for. There are cheaper alternatives out there.

I understand what you're saying, if the 10mb was stm free then I'll gladly down grade. As it stands I do feel like I don't have a choice in the matter as that tier to me is totally pointless as it is now, my only alternative is to look elsewhere and in time all those upgrading will probably feel the same too.
Sorry, I don't think I explained it properly. I'm wondering if they'll put us all on the top speed (20meg) and then the price gets us an allowance STM/throttling. So instead of BB M being 2 meg unlimited*, it's 20 meg with a 3GB monthly limit (for example).

The thing that's really doing VM no favours is that a number of heavy users here wouldn't object to paying a decent price for a decent service. It's paying a decent price and getting messed around that annoys us.

(* = Except for when VM decide it's limited in some random arbitrary way that results in a phonecall to TS to be told your PC has a virus, etc)
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 22:49   #83
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData View Post
I will just clarify something here.

VM are using this to throttle p2p and usenet for people they class as "heavy" users.
That may be the reason VM give for doing this, but the main reason is to make money out of video downloading. I've said this several times on this site over the last 3 years. To make money out of legal downloads, they have to clamp down on the illegal first.

Quote:
Scrap that, now my name is posted everywhere i might just keep quiet lol.
Don't worry about it, VM made this public about 3 weeks ago anyway - at least to the City bods.
Old 23-06-2008, 23:16   #84
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post

Don't worry about it, VM made this public about 3 weeks ago anyway - at least to the City bods.
You got a link to that as it will show that VM are lying in there denial today. ???

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 23:30   #85
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

They're not lying, the PR people don't know what's coming in the future.

Neil Berkett told City analysts that anti piracy measures would be brought in next year. He mentions it in one of the webcasts. Either the last Merryl Lynch one or Lehman Brothers one available from here:

http://investors.virginmedia.com/pho...onsVirginMedia

You may be asked to register to listen to the webcasts, just use any name and email address.

If I have time tommorow, I'll endure going through each one of them again and I'll post at exactly what time point in the webcast he mentions it.
Old 23-06-2008, 23:47   #86
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Neil Berkett told City analysts that anti piracy measures would be brought in next year.
Making your service so cack that everyone leaves is a novel approach to combating piracy! Effective though. No users = no piracy on our network.

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 01:12   #87
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Will give you an answer to that question by tomorrow morning
Update.

Just passed 4.8 gig since midnight and as yet no STM, So ether the threshold is higher or the STM the other night was a faulty activation. Will continue to monitor this over the next week.

Old 24-06-2008, 01:13   #88
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Update.

Just passed 4.8 gig since midnight and as yet no STM, So ether the threshold is higher or the STM the other night was a faulty activation. Will continue to monitor this over the next week.
Threshold is 9GB overnight.
Old 24-06-2008, 01:23   #89
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Threshold is 9GB overnight.
Well i have set for a higher download than that so will leave it running and see what happens

Old 24-06-2008, 01:27   #90
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There isn't suppose to be ANY trigger threshold outside the published hours.